Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.85
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the [#permalink]
Can you please explain what is wrong with OE - E ?

I feel E should be the correct response, but other answers indicate D.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DhruvPatelD10 wrote:
Can you please explain what is wrong with OE - E ?

I feel E should be the correct response, but other answers indicate D.

E is alright.
D is wrong because "for doing" has been used to depict purpose. To depict purpose, infinitive "to + verb" is to be used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Please clarify as to why D cannot be an effective choice.
E doesn't sound correct with the use of ''it''.

Please explain.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 4
Send PM
Can someone clarify if it should be D or E? Coz I find no reason to choose E..as "it" has no clear antecedent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
We need intention I guess To wins over for....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A can be discarded, immediately, due to a pronoun error. ‘the White House’ is singular and should not be referred to by the plural pronoun ‘they’. B is not a great choice since it is passive and that is not preferred on the GMAT. C is much too wordy and is poorly constructed. ‘assigned for doing’ is definitely not properly constructed and is even more awkward than C. The correct answer should be E. ‘it’ in E may seem a little ambiguous but the parallelism makes it clear that ‘it’ refers to ‘the White House’ and not ‘the federal advisory committee’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja

In my opinion (D) is better than (E)...there is no problem in using ing form of the verb here. In (E) the structure it assigned seems odd and needs a that before to erase any ambiguity.

Please give your thoughts.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
I know that option D has the problem of conveying the purpose that sticks with "to Verb". But I also have the problem with option E because it lacks conjunction FANBOYS and comma between 2 independence clauses.
Can someone help me out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the [#permalink]
I don't know why there is so few discussions about this sentence. In my opinion, the test maker "deliberately" dropped a vital word "that" in the sentence.

In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the federal advisory committee of experts that(refers to committee) it (white house) assigned to do a report on the history and ethics of the government’s radiation experiments on humans in the 1950’s and 1960’s .
However, I would like to ask for someone's expert opinion: why the word "that" is dropped here? Without it the sentence can become really confusing.

Please comment whether my understanding is correct. If it is, please help explain why "that" is dropped here? Many thanks!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Appler wrote:
I don't know why there is so few discussions about this sentence. In my opinion, the test maker "deliberately" dropped a vital word "that" in the sentence.

In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the federal advisory committee of experts that(refers to committee) it (white house) assigned to do a report on the history and ethics of the government’s radiation experiments on humans in the 1950’s and 1960’s .
However, I would like to ask for someone's expert opinion: why the word "that" is dropped here? Without it the sentence can become really confusing.

Please comment whether my understanding is correct. If it is, please help explain why "that" is dropped here? Many thanks!!!
You're right. The that has been dropped from the sentence. However, this is quite common, and is not incorrect.

For example, take a look at this official question.

Show SpoilerThe correct option
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

Here the that after books has been dropped.

More (short) examples:
1. I like the movie you made.
2. I accidentally broke the instrument you gave me.

Here is another question you could try.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Expert Reply
windy_city wrote:
In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the federal advisory committee of experts they assigned to do a report on the history and ethics of the government’s radiation experiments on humans in the 1950’s and 1960’s .

(A) they assigned to do
(B) to be assigned doing
(C) that was being assigned doing
(D) assigned for doing
(E) it assigned to do

Split 1:
'doing' vs 'to do'
'to do' denotes purpose and is apt here

Split 2:
'they' vs 'it'
'it' refers to the White House. Singular form.

Option E is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HBS '22
Send PM
windy_city wrote:
In 1994 the white house named Dr Ruth R. Faden chairperson of the federal advisory committee of experts they assigned to do a report on the history and ethics of the government’s radiation experiments on humans in the 1950’s and 1960’s .

(A) they assigned to do
(B) to be assigned doing
(C) that was being assigned doing
(D) assigned for doing
(E) it assigned to do

Remaining D and E.
The reason why I eliminated D is that it uses "doing" (continuous tense) when the sentence talks about 1950's (past).

However, I'm not sure if this logic is right. Comments?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Rajeet, doing does not have any tense at all; in fact, in this sentence, doing is used as a noun (gerund).

As you would appreciate, a Noun does not have any tense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HBS '22
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Rajeet, doing does not have any tense at all; in fact, in this sentence, doing is used as a noun (gerund).

As you would appreciate, a Noun does not have any tense.

Absolutely! That makes so much sense. My bad, thank you for correcting me :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi Windy please provide official explanation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts