It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 11:28
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Absolute phrases have the following structure: noun + noun modifier. They modify the whole clause in some way.
I have heard about the event just yesterday, the event that rocked the nation. (noun = event, noun modifier= that rocked the nation - modifies the whole clause)

Appositives consists of just a noun (or a noun phrase). Appositives are noun modifiers (i.e. a noun modifying another noun).
Tommy, my little brother, has done this. (noun phrase = my little brother - no modifier for my little brother - modifies Tommy)

thanks so much for your quickly reply,
Sayatanc2k,

would you please confirm my fool question,

noun + noun phrase, the noun phrase modifies single noun, will the noun phrase be introduce by prep, or That - clause?
noun modifier , must it be introduced by That-clause ?

absolute phrase modifies the whole proceeding clause, appositive phrase modifies the proceeding noun

I had a OG question on hand, OG16, # 84, following is incorrect SC that I replaced with the option, IMO, I think of it as a absolute phrase. what's why I think of the sentence as correct.
Quote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, in turn an activation of the animated functions of the piece.

here the structure "an activation" (noun) + "of the animated function of the piece "(prep phrase or noun modifier) modifies the proceeding clause, as the result of the proceeding clause..

I am confused it a lot.

BTW, OA says A is redundant, I did not figure out it, would you please clarify?
Quote:
In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs, a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing many more prescriptions for higher-cost drugs.
thanks a lot

have a nice day
>_~

Your queries:

1. A noun phrase is NOT introduced by a preposition or "that"- in that case it would be a prepositional phrase or a relative clause.

2. Noun modifier could be any modifier, not necessarily a "that" clause.

3. "Absolute phrase modifies the whole preceding clause, appositive phrase modifies the preceding noun". You are almost right - just that the absolute phrase may be placed anywhere before or after the clause -hence it modifies preceding or succeeding clause.

Your examples:

1. Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, in turn an activation of the animated functions of the piece.

This sentence is incorrect. Hence it is not a good idea to understand absolute phrase / appositive from this one.

2. In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs, a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing many more prescriptions for higher-cost drugs.

Perfect example of absolute phrase:
noun = "phenomenon"
noun modifier = " that is....... drugs."

Together the structure (noun + noun modifier) refers to the whole preceding clause ("In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs")

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 22:19
Hi Sayantanc2K,
thanks so much for your quickly reply.

sayantanc2k wrote:
1. A noun phrase is NOT introduced by a preposition or "that"- in that case it would be a prepositional phrase or a relative clause.

would you please further explain what is "noun phrase"? what's the difference from "noun modifier".

sayantanc2k wrote:
Your examples:

1. Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, in turn an activation of the animated functions of the piece.

This sentence is incorrect. Hence it is not a good idea to understand absolute phrase / appositive from this one.

referring to the OA, I got the idea that this is an incorrect sentence,
while I have no idea about the errors exist in the sentence, would you please point out ?

and it will be appreciated point out my wrong thinking of absolute phrase,
at first glance, I reviewed it as an absolute phrase, that's why I picked it up.
but I don't know why it is incorrect if considering it absolute phrase, anything braked the rule of absolute phrase?

thanks a ton

have a nice day

>_~

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 11:15
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi Sayantanc2K,
thanks so much for your quickly reply.

sayantanc2k wrote:

would you please further explain what is "noun phrase"? what's the difference from "noun modifier".

sayantanc2k wrote:
Your examples:

referring to the OA, I got the idea that this is an incorrect sentence,
while I have no idea about the errors exist in the sentence, would you please point out ?

and it will be appreciated point out my wrong thinking of absolute phrase,
at first glance, I reviewed it as an absolute phrase, that's why I picked it up.
but I don't know why it is incorrect if considering it absolute phrase, anything braked the rule of absolute phrase?

thanks a ton

have a nice day

>_~

A noun phrase is a group of words with noun as the main word - it works as a subject, object, or modifier of another noun.

My father has a couple of old sweaters.

I would suggest that you read a good GMAT guide such as Manhattan SC guide to get thess ground concepts clear. That will be helpful for you for a fast progress with your preparation.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 08:47
SPLIT1) PARALLELISM: "NOT ONLY A BUT ALSO B". A, D AND E ARE NOT CORRECT PARALLEL STRUCTURE

SPLIT2) "EXPLAINED...BECAUSE OF" IS REDUDANT. A AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) EVEN THOUGH C HAS CORRECT PARALLEL STRUCTURE, C IS EXTREMELY WORDY AND WEIRD: "drugs that are becoming and doctors having also written". C IS OUT. WHY B? B CORRECTLY HAS PARALLELISM "NOT ONLY A BUT ALSO B". THE OPTION B IS WORDY TOO, BUT IT IS THE BEST OPTIONS PRESENTED TO US.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 08:05
:think: I believe that Which cannot modify drugs or spending on drugs in options D and E.
But surprisingly none of the solutions including OG mention this aspect. :?:

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1293 [0], given: 433

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 01:01
singh_amit19 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 766
Page: 702

In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs, a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing many more prescriptions for higher-cost drugs.

(A)a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing

(B) a phenomenon that is explained not just by the fact that drugs are becoming more expensive but also by the fact that doctors are writing

(C) a phenomenon occurring not just because of drugs that are becoming more expensive but because of doctors having also written

(D) which occurred not just because drugs are becoming more expensive but doctors are also writing

(E)which occurred not just because of more expensive drugs but because doctors have also written

Attachments

sc766.gif
sc766.gif [ 67.87 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1293 [0], given: 433

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 03:04
singh_amit19 wrote:

Practice Question

(A)a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing

(B) a phenomenon that is explained not just by the fact that drugs are becoming more expensive but also by the fact that doctors are writing

(C) a phenomenon occurring not just because of drugs that are becoming more expensive but because of doctors having also written

(D) which occurred not just because drugs are becoming more expensive but doctors are also writing

(E)which occurred not just because of more expensive drugs but because doctors have also written

Answer Choice B

Parallism Error in Original sentence removed .

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 03:10
singh_amit19 wrote:

Practice Question

because of+noun show a reason for which main clause happens. by+noun shows an agent who make the action of main clause. this is why A is wrong because expensive drug is the agent which cause the explanation.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 01:52
daagh wrote:
The correlative conjunction- not only … but also has several other avatars. They are

1. Not only… but also
2. Not only by … but also by
3. Not only because …. But also because
4. Not only because of … but also because of
5. Not just… but also
6. not just by…. But also by

and so on with the additions of because, because of etc, all of them valid structures very often seen in GMAT

not just by …… but also by is equal to -not only by …. But also by- . There is not much different to see through both of them.

In that case, the correct version of the text would be

a phenomenon that is explained not only because of more expensive drugs but also because of the fact that doctors are writing

or

a phenomenon that is explained not only by the fact that drugs are becoming more expensive but also by the fact that doctors are writing

This is the position as far as the use of // in correlative conjunctions is concerned.

B is the credited answer.
How come the correct answer (option B) uses the present tense (is explained) and present continuous ( are becoming) to explain a phenomenon that occurred in the past (2000).

"You can help me achieve my goal by sharing your knowledge"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 199

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 06:27
In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs, a
phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are
writing many more prescriptions for higher-cost drugs.

A. a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that
doctors are writing
“Not just X but by Y” are NOT parallel
It can be “Not just X but also Y” or “Not just by X but also by Y”

B. a phenomenon that is explained not just by the fact that drugs are becoming more expensive but also
by the fact that doctors are writing
Perfectly parallel and correct.

C. a phenomenon occurring not just because of drugs that are becoming more expensive but because of
doctors having also written
The reason for increased spending is “expensive drugs” – a particular niche in the entire space of drugs
However, this option says that the reason is “drugs” (all drugs) that are becoming expensive – meaning all drugs are becoming expensive.
Also, the idiom Not just X but also Y is not correctly used here. Notice the missing (or misplaced) “also” in the option.

D. which occurred not just because drugs are becoming more expensive but doctors are also writing
“which….” Modifier incorrectly modifies “drugs”

E. which occurred not just because of more expensive drugs but because doctors have also written
“which….” Modifier incorrectly modifies “drugs”

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 199

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 08:54
D and E are absolute disaster for using which
A is awkward there has to be parallelism and it also uses wrong idiom.
B corrects all those errors.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 13:42

(A) a phenomenon that is explained not just because of more expensive drugs but by the fact that doctors are writing

(E) which occurred not just because of more expensive drugs but because doctors have also written

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Re: In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 13:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap