Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Short Passagex   Social Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [111]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [18]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [14]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Re: In a 1918 editorial, W.E.B. Du Bois advised African Americans to stop [#permalink]
Kudos
Just a note. The passage seems poorly copied and pasted with several words missing and no paragraph breaks; This makes it cumbersome to read.

I don't think this is a particularly good way to ask about a question, either, as other members of this forum are more interested practicing sample questions, rather than merely explaining an answer.

Nonetheless, I believe the answer should be something like: "discussion of Du Bois's dynamic tactics."

A. identifying historical circumstances that
led Du Bois to alter his long-term goals.
No mention of long term goals.

B. defining “accommodationism” and showing
how Du Bois used this strategy to
achieve certain goals
accounting for a particular position
adopted by Du Bois during the First
World War.
"Accomodationism" was by no means the subject of the article.

D. contesting the view that Du Bois was significantly
influenced by either Washington
or Trotter.

Not D. he made no mention that people thought this way.

E. assessing the effectiveness of a strategy
that Du Bois urged African Americans to
adopt.

Not E, He didn't talk about effectiveness at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: In a 1918 editorial, W.E.B. Du Bois advised African Americans to stop [#permalink]
Folks,

My apologies if I annoyed some of you. I got this passage in one of the GMAT sets and pasted it as I got it. So whatever, spell errors you see are inherent. THe correct answer as per the solution is B. I fail to completely understand how this can be the answer.

For those who wanted to know the other questions. I am attaching a word file, with the passage and the questions. Hopefully this time, it will look better.
Attachments

File comment: RC
RC.doc [34.5 KiB]
Downloaded 952 times

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618795 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Can anyone explain question 2 here?
Basically I couldn't understand the whole part here
"In 1903, however, Du Bois aligned himself with Trotter, Washington’s militant opponent, less for ideological reasons than because Trotter had described to him Washington’s efforts to silence those in the African American press who opposed Washington’s positions."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
b2bt wrote:
Can anyone explain question 2 here?
Basically I couldn't understand the whole part here
"In 1903, however, Du Bois aligned himself with Trotter, Washington’s militant opponent, less for ideological reasons than because Trotter had described to him Washington’s efforts to silence those in the African American press who opposed Washington’s positions."

The part you quoted above basically means: Du Bois agreed with Trotter who opposed Washington. The passage before this sentence mentioned that Du Bois likes Washington idea about African American issue. Therefore, the rest of the sentence that you quoted explained why Du Bois change his position. Du Bois supported Trotter because Washington brought a negative impact on African American "Washington’s efforts to silence those in the African American press who opposed Washington’s positions."
I am not expert but I hope this explanation helpful for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Q5 :- According to the passage, which of the following is true of the strategy that Du Bois's 1918 editorial urged African Americans to adopt during the First World War ?
DB's 1918 editorial advised African American people to stop agitating and to support White for the 1st W War. Now, this is because of two reasons that are mentioned in the paragraph 2 - 1> Govt. opposed African american press for voicing grievances 2> DB believed past war support led to advances for African Americans.
With this pre-thinking, let's do the process of elimination.

A. It was a strategy that Du Bois had consistently rejected in the past. - Incorrect: Passage states in the first paragraph that DB changed position. Thus, DB had not rejected this strategy throughout the past.

B. It represented a compromise between Du Bois's own views and those of Trotter. - Incorrect: There is no mention of a compromise between DB's and Trotter's position. In fact, Trotter position is mentioned briefly with which DB aligned

C. It represented a significant redefinition of the long-term goals Du Bois held prior to the war. - Incorrect: 1st line of the second para rejects this choice "Du Bois's wartime position thus reflected not a change in his long-term goals but rather a pragmatic response in the face of social pressure"

D. It was advocated by Du Bois in response to his recognition of the discrimination faced by African Americans during the war. - Opposite answer choice - Clearly, the last sentence of the passage states that this line of thought is the reason why DB recalled African Americans from the war i.e. going back on his 1918 wartime recommendation

E. It was advocated by Du Bois in part because of his historical knowledge of gains African Americans had made during past wars. - Correct answer choice - Matches pre-thinking and is stated in the paragraph 2 as one of the reason behind DB's line of thought during wartime.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
The passage is primarily concerned with

A. identifying historical circumstances that led Du Bois to alter his long-term goals.

B. defining “accommodationism” and showing how Du Bois used this strategy to achieve certain goals

C. accounting for a particular position adopted by Du Bois during the First World War.

D. contesting the view that Du Bois was significantly influenced by either Washington or Trotter

E. assessing the effectiveness of a strategy that Du Bois urged African Americans to adopt

Reg Q1), can someone pls explain why the ans is C) and not D)

Is it because D) uses "contesting"?
What if D) used "accounting" instead of "contesting" ? Would D) be right then?

Or is it that the entire passage (2 para's) is viewed in entirety to answer the 1st statement made by Du Bois in support of Washington (1st few lines of the 1st para)? Hence the entire passage serves to account for that one controversial position held by Du Bois?

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Top Contributor
All Correct but timing was bad.
Total time:0:08:42.10, ,
1, 0:02:54.87, 0:02:54.87 [Para]
2, 0:00:32.67, 0:03:27.55
3, 0:01:20.33, 0:04:47.88
4, 0:01:10.94, 0:05:58.82
5, 0:00:55.21, 0:06:54.03
6, 0:01:47.76, 0:08:41.80
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
14Min...
I got 4 right and last one wrong..
Anyone's suggestion on how to increase speed as I have taken 5 min to read and answer 1st Question and rest 9 minutes for 4 Question.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
9 min 39 sec all Correct.
Any good strategies to reduce the time taken. ?
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Kudos
goforgmat wrote:
Please Explain Q5. I cant seem to infer that based on last wars he has called upon the African Americans to participate in the war. He merely suggests that instead of fighting for equality we must try to uplift our position.

Hi Goforgmat,

Regarding Q5, answer for the question can be clearly inferred from the below lines in the 2nd paragraph.

"Furthermore, Du Bois believed that African Americans’
contributions to past war efforts had brought them
some legal and political advances."

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Anyone pls explain how Q4(The author of the passage refers to Washington call ... In order to) the answer is d.
I am getting option a (also same(...continuum...) is included in passage just before mentioning Washington's call and also in og solution also same mentioned for a)

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
tejyr wrote:
Anyone pls explain how Q4(The author of the passage refers to Washington call ... In order to) the answer is d.
I am getting option a (also same(...continuum...) is included in passage just before mentioning Washington's call and also in og solution also same mentioned for a)

Posted from my mobile device

It asked why this pat is mentioned. What you need to do is read a line before this. however, Du Bois often shifted positions along the continuum between Washington and confrontationists such as William Trotter. For giving example of this line author has mentioned this part.
In 1895,when Washington called on African Americans to concentrate on improving their communities instead of opposing discrimination and agitating for political
rights,

D is on these line. straight and easy. Hope it helped.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos