GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 03:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:51) correct 56% (01:49) wrong based on 338 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency releases all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge its resources for new novels.

A. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency releases all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

B. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, maybe in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

C. Possibly in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels, a group of well-known authors, in a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, demanded that the agency will release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination

D. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency would release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

E. A group of well-known authors, in a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, demanded that the agency release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, possibly in an attempt to enlarge resources for the writing of new novels

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 04:31
Requiring the subjunctive form of the mood, the base form namely ‘release’, choices containing such as releases in A, will release in B and would release in D are out.
Left to fend between B and E, the word ‘maybe’ looks more conversational than formal; E contains the more acceptable ‘possibly’. That is all the difference

GMAT tuition under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as self-study in the final reckoning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 04:49
Hi Daagh,

I agree that its between B and E. But IMO, both "maybe" and "possibly" over here behave as modifiers.. both are adverbs and both can technically be used as a modifier.

in option E: the ending words could have been " for writing new novels" instead of " for the writing of new novels"..

Also "for new novels" is the same in B as mentioned in the question. Your opinion on what I mentioned please.

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 10:26
reto wrote:
In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency releases all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge its resources for new novels.

A. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency releases all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

B. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, maybe in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

C. Possibly in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels, a group of well-known authors, in a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, demanded that the agency will release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination

D. In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency would release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, perhaps in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

E. A group of well-known authors, in a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, demanded that the agency release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, possibly in an attempt to enlarge resources for the writing of new novels

Really tricky. B & E 2 best options. Going with B because of its concision.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 12:34
In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors demanded that the agency release all documents pertaining to the Kennedy assassination, maybe in an attempt to enlarge resources for new novels

isn't CIA incorrectly modified by a group of....

E seems more judicious.

Thanks,

Manas

------------------------------
Big Ideas, Small Steps

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 13:09
I go with B even I am still concerned about "Maybe". However, in E, the writing for new novels is wordy so I crossed out E
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 05:10
Shouldn't "release" be singular?

It confused me. E sounded better except for this, since "release" is modifying "the agency".

What am I missing here?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 10:01
Mascraft wrote

Quote:
Shouldn't "release" be singular?
It confused me. E sounded better except for this, since "release" is modifying "the agency".
What am I missing here?

You are missing the subjunctive mood norm here; ‘release’ is the base form of the verb - release - for all other verb forms such as releases or released or will release or would release. In subjunctive mood, the verb will always be in the base form, irrespective of whether the noun is singular or plural or whether the event is in the present or past or future tense.

Examples:
The court has ruled that Tom return the money to Dick
The court rules that Tom return the money to Dick
The court ruled that Tom return the money to Dick
The court has ruled that Tom and Dick return the money to Harry
The Congress will make a ruling this session that the H-IB visa holder return to his country by the expiry of the visa.
The Congress made ruling last session that all H-IB visa holders return to their countries by the expiry of the visa.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as self-study in the final reckoning

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 3.25
WE: Information Technology (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 01:48
Got confused between B and E.
Still confused :P . Can anyone please explain why "for the writing of new novels" in option E is not considered wordy?
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 09:54
I choose B
I do not like "for the writing" in E. it should be " for a writing "

why can we discard B?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 20:10
daagh wrote:
Requiring the subjunctive form of the mood, the base form namely ‘release’, choices containing such as releases in A, will release in B and would release in D are out.
Left to fend between B and E, the word ‘maybe’ looks more conversational than formal; E contains the more acceptable ‘possibly’. That is all the difference

I think that the reason we tossed out B over a small reason about "conversational" can also be applied to E. E contains a stupid wordy clause at the end "for the writing of new novels" that is more "conversational" than anything in B.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 04:12
Hi Daagh,

Confused as what is "In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA" modifying if it is " group of authors" then B is better than E
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 09:09
Quote:
Kanigmat wrote

Hi Daagh,
Confused as what is "In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA" modifying if it is " group of authors" then B is better than E

As far as I know, an introductory prepositional modifier set off by a comma will modify the theme of the entire following clause, in this case, the group demanding something. After all the lawsuit was about that demand, wasn’t it? Nor is it an adjectival modifier to modify the noun that it follows. HTH

With regard to the use of ‘maybe’ and ‘probably’, let us look at OG example to have an inkling about the GMAC’s views.
Question 23, OG 11.

Of all the possible disasters that threaten American agriculture, the possibility of an adverse change in
climate is maybe the more difficult for analysis.

(A) is maybe the more difficult for analysis
(B) is probably the most difficult to analyze
(C) is maybe the most difficult for analysis
(D) is probably the more difficult to analyze
(E) is, it may be, the analysis that is most difficult

Relevant part of the OE given by OG.

The sentence also uses two incorrect idioms. ‘May be’ should be replaced by ‘probably’ and then followed by infinitive ‘to analyze’ rather than the phrase ‘for analysis’.

A; May be must be replaced by probably, more by most, and for analysis by to analyze
B. correct all the three idioms are used correctly,
C. May be must be replaced by probably and for analysis by to analyze
E. It may be is wordy and must replaced by probably

Quote:
gmat_ttt wrote:
OA is B
The OG explanation says that use of maybe is unidiomatic. Why is that?

Ron’s reply

two comments to add here.

1) the most important comment i could make here: it doesn't really matter why. you should follow the gmat's rules slavishly, like a seven-year-old who really wants that piece of candy for being such a good kid. since the o.g. has just told you, in no uncertain terms, that the use of 'maybe' is unacceptable, that's all you really need to know.
this is not to say that' it's pointless ever to think about 'why'; for most sentences the answer explanations are either simply not there (as for gmatprep problems) or are sufficiently vague to merit debate as to the particulars of the gmat's rules. however, in cases such as this one, where there can be no doubt at all about the rules the gmat employs, just follow their rules.

2) i concur with the official opinion on this one: 'maybe' seems much too informal for formal written english. i would never dream of including the word 'maybe' in any sort of formal paper or article, unless it were embedded in some sort of quote.
Quote:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 19:29
thangvietnam wrote:
I choose B
I do not like "for the writing" in E. it should be " for a writing "

why can we discard B?

Agree with this point. Even i found the words "for writing" in E as wrong.

Experts please help.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 18:11
Is the OA really E? E seems wrong using "for the writing of new novels"
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 06:47
reto wrote:

demand that----> subjunctive mood

verb be plural nd will/would converts to "be"

clearly E

way to victory .....

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 00:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 00:36

In a 2003 lawsuit against the CIA, a group of well-known authors deman

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap