Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1137
Schools: NUS '23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
anothermillenial , got it, thank you :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
generis VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AjiteshArun egmat

I know that verb-ed modifiers modify the noun and here Watson and Crick are the noun.

Don't you think when you read option E, you feel the sentence is a run on?

Kindly help.

Read the text below using the option E.

In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick, elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,accurately modeled the double-helix DNA.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arpitkansal wrote:
generis can you explain why "c" in not the correct choice?

arpitkansal - so sorry! I missed this tag.
If I do not answer within 48-72 hours (we have a lot of questions :) ) please, PM me. :)

arpitkansal , JS1290 , AishwaryaV12 , Leonaann , 2asc , and applebear -

I hope that the analysis below helps. You can find it HERE.

Again, apologies.
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
Expert Reply
josico111 wrote:
Very subtle question. To decide between A and E:

WC accurately modeled the double-helix DNA.

Now, we are at a seperation point. If the act of modeling were elaborating the failed theorems, -ing would be correct. but from the meaning this is not the case. First, they did something (elaborated on the failed theorems), then by doing it (elaborating) they were able to accurately model the DNA.

Therefore, we need to modify WC, not the act of modeling the DNA. -ing modifies the clause. -ed modifies the preceding noun. Answer E.

josico111 , I know that this rule is taught by at least one major test prep company.

True: comma + verbING usually modifies the previous clause.
Not always.

comma + ING can modify an immediately preceding noun(s) or noun phrase, the subject of the previous clause (rare),
or the entire clause.

[spoiler alert: part of reasoning behind a correct answer to official question revealed]

OG VR 2019 contains a problem in which comma + ING

modifies the immediately preceding noun—and only the noun.

You can find that very recent problem HERE.

Takeaway: comma + ING can modify the previous clause or an immediately preceding noun.

Further, what do you do about the incorrect construction of (E)?

Answer A is correct.

In addition to the official example cited, see also Quirk et al. A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. (2010 [1985)). §17.34
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mudit27021988 wrote:
The difference between A and E is very suttle. If this question were without ",+ING" then would the modification be correct?

Many of us might think that it will be correct since now it is modifying preceding noun.

Honestly. Going with the meaning, I do not see any difference between the two. If using -ed , we should use it without a "comma" that is as a verb to say W&C elaborated and modelled correctly.

If the sentence is to explain how they modelled it taking different factors into consideration , then the use of ING or "comma + ING" should be correct. Idon't think it is right to reject an answer choice because of a comma splice, unless it is impacting the intended meaning, which in this case stays intact.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Mudit27021988 , this question's original OE was confusing.

Regarding the highlighted part, you should always reject an answer that is a comma splice.
A comma splice is wrong 100% of the time. No exceptions. :)
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
medus18 wrote:
"Which" begins a non essential modifier and there should be "," before it. Is that right?

Posted from my mobile device

medus18 , yes.

On the GMAT, which begins a non-essential modifier and should be set off by a comma or by commas.

Occasionally you will see "of which" without commas, but that construct is different.

This source has a habit of using the British English approach, but that approach is not
the way that GMAT tests the issue.

British English: which and that are interchangeable
U.S. English: a debate, although most dictionaries note that formal U.S. writing experts require that for essential modifiers
On the GMAT and in many conventional grammarians' minds: that and which are not interchangeable.
that is for essential modifiers
which is for non-essential modifiers

All of the options in this question contain the same error,
so we can say that (A) is the best of the lot.

If the GMAT authors suddenly decide that which can take the place of that,
the authors almost certainly will not give you a choice.

They, too, will put which in all the answer choices.
I do not believe that such a change is coming anytime soon.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Hi generis

Got it finally! thanks a ton :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
generis VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AjiteshArun egmat

I know that verb-ed modifiers modify the noun and here Watson and Crick are the noun.

Don't you think when you read option E, you feel the sentence is a run on?

Kindly help.

Read the text below using the option E.

In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick, elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,accurately modeled the double-helix DNA.
Hi warrior1991,

generis is right: there are plenty of decision points around elaborated.
1. If elaborated is a modifier, the meaning is wrong.
2. If elaborated is a verb, there should be an and before accurately modeled and there should be no comma after Crick.
3. If elaborated is a verb, the meaning is not very clear. Did they do two separate things (elaborated and modeled)?

However, we are not looking at a run-on (a run-on involves at least two clauses). Also, have you been told that "-ed modifiers" can modify only nouns? If yes, that is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am still confused why ing modifier will not be accepted here...Can someone please clarify..
Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
AjiteshArun Yes, I knew that '-ed' modifiers only modify the noun. But thanks for bringing this to light.

generis As usual, thank you for a fast and comprehensive response.
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
I am still confused why ing modifier will not be accepted here...Can someone please clarify..
Thanks

Debashis Roy - on the first page of the thread, other people
incorrectly rejected the ING modifier because
1) the OA was incorrectly listed as (E) rather than (A);

2) posters were trying to justify the [then incorrect] official answer; and

3) in their attempts to justify (E), posters used a very common misconception to justify (E).

People have been taught incorrectly that

comma + present participle phrase
can modify only a previous clause, not a noun.

They also incorrectly believe that only
comma + verbED
can modify a noun.

Those beliefs reflect at least one major prep company's approach, and apparently, Princeton's too.

The posters on the first page of the thread were repeating
inaccurate information in part because they had an inaccurate OA.

For their sake, I noted in this post above, that

comma + verbING can modify the immediately preceding noun.
It makes sense to you. It did not make sense to them when the OA was incorrectly listed as (E).

I hope that the earlier debate is now clear.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
generis
Thanks I got it...I also selected A as the correct choice since E doesnt make sense in its structure
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
generis
Thanks I got it...I also selected A as the correct choice since E doesnt make sense in its structure

Debashis Roy , I know that you understand which answer is correct.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but you seemed to be wondering
why many others were not choosing as you did and
what all the hullabaloo was about.

I thought when you wrote, "Please clarify,"
you were asking for an explanation of much debate surrounding
what seemed to you to be a straightforward issue.

So I gave you the explanation that I thought you asked for.

If I misunderstood your question, please rephrase it.
I'll amend my answer above to make sure that it looks as if I am speaking of others. Regards.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
generis

You got me perfectly! I was indeed confused seeing so many responses in favour of E...and you have clarified the matter regarding the wrongly listed correct answer...I appreciate your help..
Thanks again and cheers!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts