Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Word Problemsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618547 [63]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618547 [28]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [8]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In a certain pond, 50 fish were caught, tagged, and returned to the po [#permalink]
so, x * 4% = 50

This is how I solved too.. This works but I dont think this is right...
4% is actually equal to percent of tagged fish in the pond..

Could somebody please confirm if this is right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In a certain pond, 50 fish were caught, tagged, and returned to the po [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
so, x * 4% = 50

This is correct.
You are assuming that the total number of fish in the pond is x

4% of x = 50 (Number of tagged fish is 4% of the total fish)
You get x = 1250

So total fish in the pond = 1250
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
so, x * 4% = 50

This is correct.

You get x = 1250

Why is the total number of tagged fish 50 as opposed to 98. I got 98 by adding the number of tagged fish in the first catch and the number of tagged fish in the second catch. -> 50+48 = 98
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
HI tinnyshenoy,

This prompt is about ratios (and in the broader sense, it's an example of 'representative sampling').

To start, we're told that 50 fish are caught, tagged and returned to the pond. There are now an UNKNOWN number of total fish in the pond, but 50 of them are 'tagged.'

Later on, 50 fish are again caught, but 2 of them are ALREADY TAGGED. We're told that the percent of fish IN THIS GROUP that are tagged is approximately = the TOTAL percent of ALL fish that are tagged....With this information, we can set up a ratio...

2/50 = ratio of tagged fish in this sample
50/X = ratio of tagged fish in the pond

2/50 = 50/X

Now we can cross-multiply and solve for X...

2X = 2500
X = 1250

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinnyshenoy wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
so, x * 4% = 50

This is correct.

You get x = 1250

Why is the total number of tagged fish 50 as opposed to 98. I got 98 by adding the number of tagged fish in the first catch and the number of tagged fish in the second catch. -> 50+48 = 98

Very simply - the 50 fish caught in the second catch were not tagged. They were just caught and it was observed that 2 of them are tagged. The leftover 48 were not tagged. The second catch was only to find the approximate percentage of tagged fish in the pond (a technique called sampling).

For example: In a large population, it is difficult to find the number of people with a certain trait, say red hair. So you pick up 100 people at random (unbiased selection) and see the number of people who have red hair. Say, 12 have red hair. So you can generalise that approximately 12% of the whole population has red hair.

Here, since counting the number of total fish in the pond is hard, they tagged 50 and let them disperse evenly in the population. Then they caught 50 and found 2 to be tagged. So approximately 4% of the fish were tagged. So 50 is 4% of the entire fish population of the pond. Note that the method uses huge approximation because of the small sample number. If 1 more tagged fish were caught among the 50, it would change the approximated fish population number by a huge amount. But they have given us that "the percent of tagged fish in the second catch approximates the percent of tagged fish in the pond" so we can make this approximation.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Hey Bunuel i have a query in this question
Here why arent we taking the number of tagged fishes as 48 as 2 fishes that were caught arent returned to the pond.
we have no evidence that the two fishes were returned to the pond
so (4/100)*number of fishes = 48
although no option is provided i think its answer should be 1200

Where am i wrong ?

cc-EMPOWERgmatRichC
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
Here why arent we taking the number of tagged fishes as 48 as 2 fishes that were caught arent returned to the pond.

Where am i wrong ?

cc-EMPOWERgmatRichC

True. If one of the options would have been 1200, then this could be a concern.

But I believe GMAC people are intelligent enough to avoid such options that cause confusions.

So, since we donot have any option that matches per your assumption, we need to consider 50 tagged fishes only.

Hope it clears your query!!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Where am i wrong ?

cc-EMPOWERgmatRichC

True. If one of the options would have been 1200, then this could be a concern.

But I believe GMAC people are intelligent enough to avoid such options that cause confusions.

So, since we donot have any option that matches per your assumption, we need to consider 50 tagged fishes only.

Hope it clears your query!!

Nopes bruh..!
I disagree . I think we are really missing something here .
Abhishek009 has stopped doing quant i guess else he would have been the first one to respond on this
Lets wait for Bunuel to respond
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM