Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [71]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [22]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [4]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 perc [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
B

First of all, we have a red flag in the problem: it is a %-problem and it does not tell us about any absolute value, only about % and fraction. So, if we have one DS-statement only with one absolute value, the statement is useless for solving the problem.

1) Yeah, it stands here to catch us.

2) How to determine sufficiency of the statement for a few seconds? Just try slightly to increase or decrease 75% in your mind, do you need to change a fraction? Of course, as you need to have more/less male/female ratio to decrease/increase 75%.
If it is difficult, the traditional solution:

75% = (72%*male + 80%*female)/(male + female) = (72% male/female+ 80%) / (male/female + 1) - we can find male/female fraction.

Now, male/(male + female) = 1 / (1 + female/male) - using information from the statement above, we can find the fraction of the students who are male.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 perc [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anilnandyala wrote:
in a certain class 72% of the male students & 80% of the female students have applied to college what fraction of the students in the senior college are male?
1 there are 840 students in the senior class
2 75% students in the senior class have applied to the college

(I am assuming that 'senior college' in question stem is the same as 'senior class')
This is a question of weighted averages.

Statement 1: Total students is 840 but we do not know how many of them are male and how many are female.

Statement 2: 75% of total have applied to college. 72% of males have applied and 80% of females have applied. The weighted average of 72% and 80% is known to be 75%.

Diff between 72 and 75 is 3 and that between 75 and 80 is 5 hence males:females ratio is 5:3.

Hence 5/8 of the students in senior class are males.
Statement 2 is sufficient. Answer is (B).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer is B

If X is the FRACTION of the male students in the senior class, then 1-X is the fraction of female in class.

1) is not sufficient to solve the problem
2) from the provided information, we have:

0.72*X + 0.80*(1-X) = 0.75 <=> X = 5/8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
I got this problem wrong as usual...I HATE DS!

Anyway I checked the answer and it dawned on me that B is sufficient. However, I still cant seem to get 5/8, what am I doing wrong?
X = m + f where X is total number of students in college.
So from B) 75% of all students applied to college. Therefore we have 75% (X)
Now we know 72% male students applied to college, therefore the male number will be 72% of 75% of X
The fraction should be:
( 72% of 75% of X) / X
This gives me around 54/100 males attending college.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Great, thank you. When I was reading through the problem I think I assumed they were asking for the number of males rather than the percentage.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the students in the senior class are male?

1) There are 840 students in the senior class
2) 75 percent of the students in the senior class have applied to college

This question has a logic, which is frequently given on GMAT Math exam lately. The logic is there are 4 variables, and a question includes percentage and the number of percentage should be 3, which makes the con sufficient.
That is, this is a frequently given question, which is "2 by 2" question like the table below. There are 4 variables.
Attachment:
GCDS   tejal777     In a certain senior class 72 percent (20160217).jpg
GCDS tejal777 In a certain senior class 72 percent (20160217).jpg [ 35.6 KiB | Viewed 23994 times ]

The question asks percentage and the number of percentage should be 3. In the original condition, the number of percentage is 2(72%, 80%) and 75% in 2), which makes the number of percentage 3 in total. Thus, it is sufficient and the answer is B.

 Once we modify the original condition and the question according to the variable approach method 1, we can solve approximately 30% of DS questions.

 from con 1) and con 2), if one of the conditions is given by numbers and the other is given by ratio (percent,fraction), then the condition with ratio (percent,fraction) value has higher chance of being the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13375 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
tejal777 wrote:
In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the students in the senior class are male?

(1) There are 840 students in the senior class
(2) 75 percent of the students in the senior class have applied to college

Attachment:
GP03.jpg

Answer: Option B

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Send PM
Weighted average question but would suggest using the alligation method here avoiding algebra.

Basically --> 75-2 and 80-75 will give us a ratio of M/F of 5/8. No need to solve further % since its a DS question. Sufficient. B

A tells us total qty. Irrelevant (since we are only talking in %'s and question has asked for fractions)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92881 posts