GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 22:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:21) correct 11% (01:13) wrong based on 18 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age of all the student in the class equals the average of the average age of the boys and the average age of the girls. The sum of the average age of the boys and the average age of the girls is 10 years. Find the average age(in years) of the boys of the class?

A) 5 years
B) 3 years
C) 4 years
D) 2 years
E) 2.5 years
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 23:06
This is a weighted average problem: in the question, we have two groups, boys and girls, and the question talks about the average ages of each group, and the average age of all of the children combined.

In general, in any weighted average problem, the average you get when you combine the groups will always be closer to the average of the larger group. For example, if you have men earning $40 per hour, and women earning $50 per hour at a company, then if there are more women than men at the company, the overall average wage will be closer to $50 than to $40 (so will be greater than $45). But here, we learn that the overall average age is exactly equal to the average of the average age of the boys and the average age of the girls, or in other words, it is exactly midway between them. That can only happen in one of two ways: either we have exactly equal numbers of boys and of girls, or the average age of the boys is identical to the average age of the girls. Since the question tells us the number of boys is different from the number of girls, then their average ages must be identical, and if they sum to 10, each group has an average age of 5.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 00:45
Let the Average age of class be T
Similarly let the average age of boys and girls be B & G respectively.
Now it is given that average age of total class is equal to average of boys and is also equal to average age of girls.
So,

T=B=G

Now it is given that B+G=10 also we know that B and G are equal so

putting that in the earlier equation we get both B and G are equal to 5.

If you think my reasoning is wrong please correct me :)
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 02:49
vyascd wrote:
Now it is given that average age of total class is equal to average of boys and is also equal to average age of girls.

That is not given in the question (which is why my answer was so long :) ) - the question says that "The average age of all the student in the class equals the average of the average age of the boys and the average age of the girls." Using your notation, that means:

(B+G)/2 = T

and not that B = G = T (that is true here, because of other information in the question, but it's something you need to prove).

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 02:49

In a class, the number of boys and girls are distinct. The average age

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap