Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619024 [14]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [3]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: In a club for left-handed people that also admits the ambidextrous, ar [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In a club for left-handed people that also admits the ambidextrous, are more than 1/3 of the members ambidextrous?

So if the total is x, is the number of ambidextrous >x/3 or >33.33%

(1) Exactly 50% of the male members of the club are ambidextrous.
We do not know the % of male overall or females who are ambidextrous.
Say there are 10 males and 40 females and no female is ambidextrous, so only 5 out 50 or 10%<33%
But if there are any p males and no females, ans is yes as 50% is the answer then.

(2) The number of females in the club is exactly 1 fewer than half the number of male members.
f=(m/2)-1

Combined.
Total =f+m=(m/2)-1+m=(3m/2)-1
Number of ambidextrous will be at least m/2

So let m be 10, so f=(10/2)-1=4.....total =10+4=14
Number of ambidextrous is at least 5..
Fraction of ambidextrous \(\geq{\frac{5}{14}}\), hence >1/3
Sufficient
C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: In a club for left-handed people that also admits the ambidextrous, ar [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In a club for left-handed people that also admits the ambidextrous, are more than 1/3 of the members ambidextrous?

(1) Exactly 50% of the male members of the club are ambidextrous.

(2) The number of females in the club is exactly 1 fewer than half the number of male members.

Let's assume there are 100 people in the club.

S1: We are told 50% of the males in the club are ambidextrous. However we have no way of determining what proportion of the club members are male. NOT SUFFICIENT.

S2: Using this, we can find the number of males in our sample using the equation 100 = M + F or 100 = M + (M/2 - 1) and solving for M. However, we are not given any information about how many students are ambidextrous. NOT SUFFICIENT.

S1+S2: We can multiply 50% by the value of M we got from S2 and compare that number to the total number of students to find the solution. SUFFICIENT.

ANSWER: C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

Stat1: Exactly 50% of the male members of the club are ambidextrous.
So, L= M/2, but what about female members. Not sufficient.

Stat2: The number of females in the club is exactly 1 fewer than half the number of male members.
But, we don't know, how many males or females are ambidextrous. Not sufficient.

Combining both,
L= M/2 and F= M/2 -1, It means ratio = (M/2)/ (M/2+M/2 -1 ) = (M/2)/ (M -1) > 1/3 sufficient.

So, Ans. C. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts