GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 310
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 04:13
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 236
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 21:08
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 310
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 23:18
1
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)


MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 236
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 19:49
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by


I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 148
Reviews Badge
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 19:29
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1530
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 21:42
tejyr wrote:
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .

Hi tejyr, the largest of the ancient world is called an appositive modifier, describing library at Alexandria.

It's like this:

Donald Trump, the US President, has had a bumpy ride in office till now.

Again, the US President is an appositive modifier, modifying Donald Trump.

as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria is actually a prepositional phrase. Such Prepositional phrases are Adverbial modifiers and so, don't modify Nouns (such as the largest of the ancient world in this case).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositives, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 32
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 07:46
Hi,

I was selecting D, but I rejected it because I thought the largest of the ancient world is modifying Alexandria. Can you please shed some light on such kind of modifier?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 22:24
For choice C, why "the largest of the ancient world" is correct? Is it supposed to be "The largest library of the ancient world"?
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Feb 2015
Posts: 936
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 09:27
Official Answer:

Logical predication; Rhetorical construction; Grammatical
construction


Because it is introduced by a participle, the phrase that begins resulting from illogically modifies later generations. Substituting the idiom as a result of for resulting from corrects this error. The largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria is both cumbersome and ambiguous because it suggests that the ancient world was located at (and only at) Alexandria.

This problem is best corrected by breaking the series of phrases into two distinct parts: the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world. Here, the second phrase clearly modifies the first.

a. Resulting from illogically modifies later generations. The series of prepositional phrases is confusing and ambiguous.
b. The destroying of is wordy and awkward. And creates a second main clause, which would need to be appropriately punctuated with a comma before and.
c. Because of the result of is redundant.
d. Correct. As a result of begins the phrase clearly and correctly in this sentence; the library rather than the ancient world is properly located at Alexandria; the largest of the ancient world correctly modifies library.
e. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world is an illogical reference. The result was must be followed by that.
_________________
________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 6767
Re: In A.D. 391. resulting from the destruction of the largest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 01:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In A.D. 391. resulting from the destruction of the largest   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2019, 01:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne