Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [46]
Given Kudos: 42
Sahil: Bansal
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [14]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Sahil: Bansal
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In a group of 25 people, only three languages are spoken – English, Sp [#permalink]
ozhan wrote:
There are 25 people and AT LEAST one of them speaks all three languages.

We are trying to find the people who can interact with each other in English and German. That means these people can either speak English and German or English, German and Spanish.

So we need to find the number of people that fall under these two categories.

Let's look at the remaining information

1) 4 people speak two languages but not Spanish ==> this is enough for the first category( i.e. the people that speak English and German only), but we do not know how many people speak all three languages (the question stem says AT LEAST one person)

INSUFFICIENT

2) One fifth of the group speaks more than one language. ==> let's break this down.

one fifth of the group is 25/5 = 5 people. 5 people speaks more than one language. We do not know how many of these people speak only English and German or all three languages.

INSUFFICIENT.

Now let's look at both informations together.

We know that 4 people speak English and German, and only 5 people speak more than one language(i.e. 2 languages or 3 languages). The information in question stem indicated that there is at least one person who speaks all three languages, but with these information we can definitely say that there is exactly one person who speaks all three languages. Thus determining that 5 people can interact with each other in English and German.

Answer:C

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks....just missed the "at-least"...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: In a group of 25 people, only three languages are spoken – English, Sp [#permalink]
damn..this question is easier than it appears to be..the solution given above is awesome.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma

According to this question, we won't have any person who speaks "English and Spanish" and "Spanish and German". Both are zero - am i right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

Can someone help by applying the overlapping sets formula in the question above?

I just know of the two of them from advance overlapping problems

1) Total= A+B+C - (Sum of 2 group overlaps) +All three+ Neither
2) Total= A+B+C -(Sum of exactly 2 group overlaps)_2(All three) + Neither

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma

According to this question, we won't have any person who speaks "English and Spanish" and "Spanish and German". Both are zero - am i right?

Veritas Prep Solution:

Quote:
Statement (1): The four people who speak two languages other than Spanish must be speaking English and German. However they may not be the only people who can interact with each other in English and German since people who speak all three languages can also interact in English and German. Hence statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

Quote:
Statement (2): One fifth of the group, a total of 5 people, speaks more than one language. Since we do not know how many of them speak English and German, statement (2) alone isn’t sufficient.

Quote:
Using both statements together, we know that 4 people speak English and German only and one speaks all the three languages (since at least one person speaks all the three languages). All others speak only one language or no language. So the number of people who can interact with each other in English and German is 5. Both statements together are sufficient to answer the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Kudos
ozhan wrote:

1) 4 people speak two languages but not Spanish ==> this is enough for the first category( i.e. the people that speak English and German only), but we do not know how many people speak all three languages (the question stem says AT LEAST one person)

INSUFFICIENT

Im confused here at your response. if 4 people speak two languages but not Spanish, I think this statement implies E+G speakers only. How can you argue that this statements include E+G+S if the 4 people described here speak 2 languages but not spanish? it says plainly that they dont speak spanish. so imho, i think it is A. Unless I'm wrong.

Bunuel, can you explain please.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [2]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
weiwang922 wrote:
ozhan wrote:

INSUFFICIENT

Im confused here at your response. if 4 people speak two languages but not Spanish, I think this statement implies E+G speakers only. How can you argue that this statements include E+G+S if the 4 people described here speak 2 languages but not spanish? it says plainly that they dont speak spanish. so imho, i think it is A. Unless I'm wrong.

Hello

I got your point - I think you have interpreted it correctly that first statement implies 'there are 4 such people who can speak E+G only'. But the question asks 'How many can interact with each other in English and German?' So according to the question, we need to know the number of people who are E+G only, as well as people who are E+G+S all three. From first statement we have E+G only = 4 (as you have interpreted correctly), but we still dont have how many are E+G+S all three.

Hence first statement alone is not sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
weiwang922 wrote:
ozhan wrote:

INSUFFICIENT

Hello

I got your point - I think you have interpreted it correctly that first statement implies 'there are 4 such people who can speak E+G only'. But the question asks 'How many can interact with each other in English and German?' So according to the question, we need to know the number of people who are E+G only, as well as people who are E+G+S all three. From first statement we have E+G only = 4 (as you have interpreted correctly), but we still dont have how many are E+G+S all three.

Hence first statement alone is not sufficient.

ah, I see. this makes so much more sense now.

Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
We don't need to draw any diagrams for this particular problem; we only need to think logically.

The questions asks for the number of people who are able to interact with each other in English and German.

Statement 1 tells us 4 people speak exactly two languages (English and German). HOWEVER, this figure does not include the individuals that can speak all three languages. An individual that can speak all three languages can certainly interact in English and German. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 tells us that 5 individuals speak more than one language. Clearly insufficient.

Combined, we know 5 individuals speak more than one language. We also know that 4 people speak exactly two languages (English and German). Add the person that can speak all three languages, and we have 5 people who can interact with each other in English and German.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Technology, International Business
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Very poor question from Veritas
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
Re: In a group of 25 people, only three languages are spoken English, Sp [#permalink]
Here's an easier way to understand the solution
Attachments

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-05 at 11.11.56 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-05 at 11.11.56 AM.jpeg [ 170.14 KiB | Viewed 2570 times ]

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In a group of 25 people, only three languages are spoken English, Sp [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts