Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [14]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In a multiple-choice test, each question is followed by n options. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In a multiple-choice test, each question is followed by n options. What is the value of n?

(1) The test is designed in such a way that if a candidate appearing for the test, decides to mark the options for every question in a random manner, the candidate would expect to receive ‘0’ marks in the test.

(2) For every correct answer, a candidate is awarded 1 mark and for every wrong answer, there are −1/3 marks assigned.

(1) The test is designed in such a way that if a candidate appearing for the test, decides to mark the options for every question in a random manner, the candidate would expect to receive ‘0’ marks in the test. - Insufficient since we do not know the weightage of correct and incorrect answers

(2) For every correct answer, a candidate is awarded 1 mark and for every wrong answer, there are −1/3 marks assigned - Insufficient - now we only the weightage of correct and incorrect answers - marking system

We know the test taker selects options at random and total score when test takers marks answer options in random manner is 0
1 + (n-1)* -1/3 = 0
=>n/3 = 4/3
=> n =4
Answer C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: In a multiple-choice test, each question is followed by n options. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In a multiple-choice test, each question is followed by n options. What is the value of n?

(1) The test is designed in such a way that if a candidate appearing for the test, decides to mark the options for every question in a random manner, the candidate would expect to receive ‘0’ marks in the test.

(2) For every correct answer, a candidate is awarded 1 mark and for every wrong answer, there are −1/3 marks assigned.

1. We cannot infer n since we do not know the marking system.

2. We know the marking system but cannot infer n since we do not know about total marks earned by the candidate.

Combining both the statements, if the candidate randomly marks the options and earns 0 marks in the test,
since one option is correct and rest n-1 options are wrong-

1 + (n-1)*(-1/3) = 0

Sufficient to calculate n.

Hence ans C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 454
Send PM
i dont understand.
how do everyone get the formula -- 1 + (n-1)*(-1/3) = 0
does that mean the candidate get 1 correct, and the other one wrong?
the question is asking how many options for the each question, how do you all get this formula?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In a multiple-choice test, each question is followed by n options. [#permalink]
pclawong wrote:
i dont understand.
the question is asking how many options for the each question, how do you all get this formula?

Hello pclawong,

Let me try to answer your question.

Let's say, the candidate guesses the 1st question correctly and gets 1 mark. For each question, only one option is correct and rest of the options are wrong.

If there are n options for each question to choose from, he gets 1 for selecting the right option and (n-1)*(-1/3) for choosing the other (n-1) wrong options for the following questions.

So, our equation becomes 1 + (n-1)*(-1/3) = 0. Sufficient to calculate n.

Hence, both A and B are needed to answer the question correctly.

Doubts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 454
Send PM
shoumkrish wrote:
pclawong wrote:
i dont understand.

Hello pclawong,

Let's say, the candidate guesses the 1st question correctly and gets 1 mark. For each question, only one option is correct and rest of the options are wrong.

If there are n options for each question to choose from, he gets 1 for selecting the right option and (n-1)*(-1/3) for choosing the other (n-1) wrong options for the following questions.

Doubts?

Does that mean this person can select all the options?
so he can at least get 1 point?
does that mean he select all the option for each question?
thank you so much.
it just very confusing to me.
the question states that he ramdomly choose an option but didn't say he chooses all the options
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pclawong wrote:
shoumkrish wrote:
pclawong wrote:
i dont understand.

Hello pclawong,

Doubts?

Does that mean this person can select all the options?
so he can at least get 1 point?
does that mean he select all the option for each question?
thank you so much.
it just very confusing to me.
the question states that he ramdomly choose an option but didn't say he chooses all the options

Does that mean this person can select all the options? No.
does that mean he select all the option for each question? Also no.

Each question has n options, out of which only one is correct. He chooses only one option per question, which could be either correct or incorrect.

Let's say, he chooses the right option for the first question. His score is 1.
For the next question, he chooses one out of those (n-1) wrong options. He gets -1/3. So his total score now is 1-(1/3) = 2/3.
He continues to do this till his score is 0.

So, the equation is 1+(n-1) * (-1/3) = 0
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Statements 1 and 2 are clearly insufficient on their own.

combining,

Let number of correct answers be \(a\)
Let number of incorrect answers be \(b\)

Total marks in random manner = \(a(1) + b(-1/3) = 0\)
=> \(b = 3a\)

=> For every correct question answered, 3 questions will be incorrectly answered
=> for this to happen, there has to be 4 options, so that out of 4 questions attended, 3 will be incorrect and 1 will be correct

so answer is 4 options (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Nobody told us that every question has only 1 correct answer.

I agree that (1)+(2) gives us the ratio between correct and wrong answers to be 1:3, but the number of correct answers could be 1, 2, 3, ... hence n could be 4, 8, 12, ...

Hence (E) is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

I followed a method different from the ones discussed above. Although I got the right answer, I am not sure if the approach is correct.

Statements 1 & 2 individually are not sufficient.

Combining statements 1 & 2 we get,
i) Total score will be 0 if the + and - marks are balanced out. And for that the correct and incorrect options selected should balance out accordingly.
ii) For correct option(C), 1 mark is rewarded and for incorrect option(IC), -1/3 is deducted.

So for the total marks to be zero, the count of C and IC options selected should give us, IC = 3*C.

We can say that the probability of selecting a correct option is \(\frac{C}{T}\), where T is total options.
This can also be written as, \(\frac{C}{T} = \frac{1}{n}\) where n is the total options for each question. There will always be 1 correct option.

\(\frac{C}{T} = \frac{1}{n}\)

\(\frac{C}{(C+IC)}=\frac{1}{n}\)

\(nC = C + IC\)
\(nC = C + 3C\)
\(nC = 4C\)
\(n = 4\)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos if helpful!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

We do not know what is the marking system
Insufficient

We just know marking system. Nothing more
Insufficient

Combined...
I tells us that he clicks option equally as it is random..
II tells us that there is 1 mark for Correct ans and -1/3 for each wrong answer...

Only one option is correct and others(n-1) wrong..
So 1+(n-1)*(-1/3)=0.....1+1/3=n/3.....4/3=n/3....N=4
Sufficient

C

HI chetan2u
Why can't we say that n=8,12,16....
If n=4 then ratio of correct and incorrect is 1:3
But it could easily be 2:6,.....
Can you please delve deeper into why it can't be 8,12,16

Thank you
Regards
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

We do not know what is the marking system
Insufficient

We just know marking system. Nothing more
Insufficient

Combined...
I tells us that he clicks option equally as it is random..
II tells us that there is 1 mark for Correct ans and -1/3 for each wrong answer...

Only one option is correct and others(n-1) wrong..
So 1+(n-1)*(-1/3)=0.....1+1/3=n/3.....4/3=n/3....N=4
Sufficient

C

HI chetan2u
Why can't we say that n=8,12,16....
If n=4 then ratio of correct and incorrect is 1:3
But it could easily be 2:6,.....
Can you please delve deeper into why it can't be 8,12,16

Thank you
Regards

Hi,
A ratio of 2:6 would mean two correct answers and 6 wrong answers.
But can a question have two right answers. May not be.
So each question has 4 options where 1 is correct and other three wrong.
Eight options with one correct would make ratio 1:7
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts