Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [17]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [1]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: In a multiplex 3 shows A, B, and C run in 3 auditoriums. One day, 1000 [#permalink]
Kudos
rsrighosh wrote:
Just a question crossed in my mind... generally in such questions.... we have a tendency to pick the the minimum of A,B,C which is B=250 as maximum. The venn diagram will look as attached
Why we did not take this approach here?

if the maximum is indeed 60.... how will the venn diagram look like?

good question. But in your case,

only A = 170
ABC, which is B = 250
only C = 200

So, adding all = 620
Which means neither = 380, but per question neither = 0.
Therefore, this case is not possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: In a multiplex 3 shows A, B, and C run in 3 auditoriums. One day, 1000 [#permalink]
Just a question crossed in my mind... generally in such questions.... we have a tendency to pick the the minimum of A,B,C which is B=250 as maximum. The venn diagram will look as attached
Why we did not take this approach here?

if the maximum is indeed 60.... how will the venn diagram look like?
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 9.93 KiB | Viewed 2898 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
In a multiplex 3 shows A, B, and C run in 3 auditoriums. One day, 1000 [#permalink]
rsrighosh

When the Union of the overlapping sets is defined (I.e., we are old that every one or the 1,000 people watched at least 1 movie, meaning there aren’t any people who didn’t watch a movie) the method I find the easiest to use is the following:

(1st) We are maximizing the amount of ppl who saw all 3 movies. That number can never exceed the smallest of the 3 sets - in this case, the MAX can not exceed the 250 ppl who watched B

(2nd) Total up all the recorded members who saw a movie (the “entire circle” for A , B , and C)

(420) + (250) + (450) = 1,120

So we have 1,120 recorded views of any 1 movie. Yet we have only 1,000 unique people.

This surplus of +120 must be accommodated by the fact that some people watched 2 movies or 3 movies.

(2nd) imagine we have 1,120 pieces of candy to hand out. Each piece of candy represents 1 viewing out of the 1,120 total viewings of any particular movie that we Summed up above (let us say that a person gets one piece of candy every time he or she goes to view a movie).

We have to account for all 1,120 pieces of candy among the 1,000 unique people.

(3rd) we need to Take Care of the Minimum Requirement:

since all 1,000 people saw at least one movie, we have to give all 1,000 people (1) piece of candy when they see their first movie.

Right now at this point we will have:

1,000 people = saw 1 movie

+120 pieces of candy yet to hand out to some of these people when some go view another movie.

(4th) The Goal is to MAX the number of people who see all 3 movies. As of right now, every person has (1) candy.

If we were to hand (+2) more candies to any one person, then that person would have (3) candies in total—- i.e., this means he or she will have seen all 3 movies - A, B, and C

And no person can see more than 3 movies - this is obvious because there is only 3 movies to see.

We have 120 candies left. At most, we can hand out (+2) more candies to:

120 / 2 = 60 people

These 60 people will get (+2) more candies for seeing 2 more movies - bringing their total up to (3) candies

Summary:
940 people = see only 1 movie

60 people = see All 3 movies

(Answer)
MAX amount of ppl who could have seen all 3 movies ———-> 60 people

If an Algebra approach makes more sense:

Let

I = # of ppl who watch exactly 1 movie

II = # of ppl who watch exactly 2 movies

III = # of ppl who watch exactly 3 movies

Since everyone sees at least one movie (there is no “Neither/nor” region), all 1,000 people will fall in one of the 3 categories above.

1,000 = (I) + (II) + (III)

Now if we add up the total who saw movie A + total who save movie B + total who saw movie C, we are accounting for all the “viewings” of movies

(450) + (250) + (420) = 1,120 **(equation 1)

For instance, all the people who saw movie A will include:

(Ppl who saw ONLY movie A)

(Some Ppl who saw Exactly 2, A and B)

(Some other ppl who saw Exactly 2, A and C)

(Ppl who saw All 3 movies)

Rather then categorize the people according to which specific movie group they are part of (A, B, or C), you can just characterize them as:

(A person who saw 1 movie) = I

(A person who saw exactly 2 movies) = II

(A person who saw all 3 movies) = III

If a person is part of the group of people who saw exactly 2 movies, then that one person will be responsible for 2 of the viewings among the 1,120 viewings totaled above.

Similarly, if a person is part of the group of people who saw all 3 movies, then that person will be responsible for 3 of the viewings among the 1,120 viewings totaled above.

We can set up a second equation to account for these 1,120 viewings based on the number of people in each group

1,120 = 1*(I) + 2*(II) + 3*(III)
**(equation 2)

The question asks us what is the maximum possible no. of ppl who could be part of (III), meaning they saw all 3 movies.

(Step 1) subtract equation 1 from equation 2

1.120 = 1*(I) + 2*(II) + 3*(III)

- (1,000 = I + II + III)

120 = (II) + 2 * (III)

Again, we want to maximize the number of people who are part of (III), since this represents the no. of ppl who saw all 3 movies.

By making (II) = 0 (MINIMIZING this variable) ———- we MAXIMIZE the (III) Variable

120 = 0 + 2*(III)

III = 60

Answer: 60 is the MAX

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
A simple way to approach these type of questions is as follows:
Let T be total number of people of watched the movie i.e. 1000
Let O be the number of overlaps i.e. 1120
Point to note here is that the number of overlaps include people who watched one, two or even all three movies.

Now all 1000 people watched at least one movie, so 1120-1000 = 120
This means that there are more 120 shows of the movies that need to be watched. So to maximize the number of people who watched all movies, we will assume the fact that these 120 shows were watched by the people who will in total watch 3 movies. Now they have already watched one movie, so (120/2) will give the maximum number if people that can watch the remaining 120 shows such that they will have watched all three movies.
IMO

Pont to note : Minimum number of people to watch all three movies would be zero as the 120 shows can be all seen by the people who decide to ONLY watch two movies.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts