Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [19]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: In a psychological experiment conducted at Southbay University [#permalink]
Kudos
garimalohani99 wrote:
The conclusion talks about uneducated men.
In order to weaken the conclusion, we can shatter it by negating the assumption (which is that less educated and uneducated people are the same).

Therefore, when the argument says that less educated people don't consider the intentions while assigning punishments, it applies to uneducated people through the conclusion statement.

Option E correctly addresses this and hence weakens the argument appropriately.

No, it does not. First of all, educated men could have assigned punishments based on severity as well. One cannot exclude such possibility even though it hasn't been stated.

Second, the conclusion of the passage is "Uneducated men, then, do not regard people's intentions as relevant to penalization", and there is is no clearly stated link between severity and intentions. Therefore, E cannot weaken the conclusion. E is just irrelevant.

I consider this question of poor quality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.1
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Abhishek009 wrote:
itisSheldon wrote:
In a psychological experiment conducted at Southbay University, groups of men with various levels of education read stories in which people caused harm, some of them doing so intentionally, and some accidentally. When asked about appropriate penalization for those who had caused harm, the less educated men, unlike the educated ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally. Uneducated men, then, do not regard people's intentions as relevant to penalization.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) In these stories, the severity of the harm produces was clearly stated.

(B) In interpreting these stories the listeners had to draw on a relatively feminine sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally.

(C) Relatively uneducated men are as likely to produce harm unintentionally as are more educated men.

(D) The more educated men assigned penalization in a way that closely resembled the way women had assign penalization in a similar experiment.

(E) The less educated men assigned penalization that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.

Our objective here is to challenge the highlighted part of the stimulus....

Thus if the less educated varied punishments according to severity of the harm, it challenges/weakens the author's conclusion that they do not regard the intention of the people's intentions...

Hence answer must be (E)

I have confusion here

Option E is about severity and our conclusion talks about intention .

How these are related

Here , are we assuming that people can be severe only intentionally ?

Could you help here ..

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
itisSheldon wrote:
In a psychological experiment conducted at Southbay University, groups of men with various levels of education read stories in which people caused harm, some of them doing so intentionally, and some accidentally. When asked about appropriate penalization for those who had caused harm, the less educated men, unlike the educated ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally. Uneducated men, then, do not regard people's intentions as relevant to penalization.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(B) In interpreting these stories the listeners had to draw on a relatively feminine sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally.

(C) Relatively uneducated men are as likely to produce harm unintentionally as are more educated men.

(D) The more educated men assigned penalization in a way that closely resembled the way women had assign penalization in a similar experiment.

(E) The less educated men assigned penalization that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.

Thus if the less educated varied punishments according to severity of the harm, it challenges/weakens the author's conclusion that they do not regard the intention of the people's intentions...

Hence answer must be (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
itisSheldon wrote:

Hence answer must be (E)

Hey can you elaborate more on this ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:

Hence answer must be (E)

Hi Abhishek,

Argument's conclusion - Uneducated men, then, do not regard people's intentions as relevant to penalization.

Answer - The less educated men assigned penalization that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.

Uneducated men regard severity of harm for penalization rather than intentions of people. Is the answer not strengthening the conclusion? Please let me know where I'm going wrong.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
The conclusion talks about uneducated men.
In order to weaken the conclusion, we can shatter it by negating the assumption (which is that less educated and uneducated people are the same).

Therefore, when the argument says that less educated people don't consider the intentions while assigning punishments, it applies to uneducated people through the conclusion statement.

Option E correctly addresses this and hence weakens the argument appropriately.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Cass '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Can you please explain this, I feel there is something wrong with the OA provided here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I consider “E” more of a Strengthener. The argument implies that less educated men did not penalise agents based on their intentions but on the severity of the harm caused. Hence, uneducated men will be even more so. The reasoning here is uneducated men will behave in a similar way like less educated men but with deeper proportion. “E” basically explains this causal relationship in detail and doesn’t weaken.

Experts, can you please clarify? Thank you!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 895
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intent and severity are 2 different aspects... E might not fit the answer...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 303
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja...
Can you please tell and elaborate on the OA ?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
I think B is the right answer for 2 reasons:
1.We cannot conclude anything about uneducated people from the arguments given.It talks about less educated and more educated.
2.Choice B provides an alternative to education.If there is some other cause that could help in differentiating between intentions (intended or not)--/.we can weaken the argument that relates only education to intentions.

Plus Severity is completely different from intentions.We cannot equate then in one way or another.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Anyone care to explain E here? I agree with VeritasKarishma that the OA should be B, which clearly shows that deciphering the intention required a certain degree of education and hence the lack of education prevented a certain group to ascertain the presence of a particular factor (intentions).

Hence to conclude that the certain values that factor (intentions) less would be incorrect since they were not aware of the presence or absence of such factor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I also went for B. not convinced with the explanation in favor of E....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Deyoz wrote:
I also went for B. not convinced with the explanation in favor of E....

Edited the OA. It's B, not E. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts