It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 05:59
Hi - I am having such a tough time understanding the solution to this problem. I understand why the wrong answers are wrong, but can't seems to grasp why C is the right answer. Please could anyone help break it down for me? Thank you so much ahead for your help.

In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in the most recent national election. Voting records show, however, that only 60% of eligible voters actually voted in that election.

Which of the following pieces of evidence, if true, would provide the best explanation for the discrepancy?

A. The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points
B. Fifteen percent of the survey's respondents were living overseas at the time of the election
C. Prior research has show that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to poll than those who do not vote
D. Some people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications
E. People are less likely to respond to voting poll on the same day that they voted

Last edited by SavedByNazar on 21 Apr 2014, 07:20, edited 2 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi SavedByNazar, Your option (C) wording is incorrect. please verify.

Difference is 11%, but it’s not actually mathematical difference. So, we can’t subtract the different in this way. Total Number of people who responded to pole (P) and Total number of eligible voters (V) are different. Pole is usually done for statistical sampling to predict the outcome. Pole and actual voting have different number of people.

71% of total respondent said, they casted vote.
But, 60% of total eligible voters actually voted.
So, this means, there were more percentage of people involved in pole response, than percentage of people who actually voted.

In Other words,
29% of total respondent said, they didn’t vast vote
But, 40% of total eligible voters didn't vote.
Out of number of people who didn’t actually cast vote (40%), few of them, didn’t think responding to pole. It means, People who voted, responded to pole more pro actively.

Above understanding helps to resolve the discrepancy.

Option wise explanation, though you understood:

A. The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points. Total number of people in both cases is not same.This option doesn’t help to resolve the discrepancy.
B. Fifteen percent of the survey's respondents were living overseas at the time of the election. This doesn’t talk about people who voted.
C. Prior research has shown that that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote. This looks more justifiable reason and more generic reason behind this discrepancy.So, correct !
D. Some people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications.This doesn’t help to distinguish the percentage of people who didn’t vote along with percentage of people who missed to respond in pole. Hence, can’t resolve discrepancy.
E. People are less likely to respond to voting poll on the same day that they voted. This doesn’t talk about people - how many and which people were less likely to respond to pole.

+1 Kudo is best way to say thanks, if it helps :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 07:33
Hi sorry - i had a type in my post. Thank you so much for the following. I still can't seem to understand why C fits the puzzle. Here's how I am thinking about it. Could you pleast let me know where I am going wrong? Thanks ahead for the help!!

In town A there are 100 people. Out of those only 60 are eligible to vote. So that would mean that 71 of the people in town A said that they would vote. And only 36 (60% of 60) actually voted. Per answer choice C, it is likely that all the 36 that voted, responded to the poll. But how does this explain the discrepancy?

umeshpatil wrote:
Hi SavedByNazar, Your option (C) wording is incorrect. please verify.

Difference is 11%, but it’s not actually mathematical difference. So, we can’t subtract the different in this way. Total Number of people who responded to pole (P) and Total number of eligible voters (V) are different. Pole is usually done for statistical sampling to predict the outcome. Pole and actual voting have different number of people.

71% of total respondent said, they casted vote.
But, 60% of total eligible voters actually voted.
So, this means, there were more percentage of people involved in pole response, than percentage of people who actually voted.

In Other words,
29% of total respondent said, they didn’t vast vote
But, 40% of total eligible voters didn't vote.
Out of number of people who didn’t actually cast vote (40%), few of them, didn’t think responding to pole. It means, People who voted, responded to pole more pro actively.

Above understanding helps to resolve the discrepancy.

Option wise explanation, though you understood:

A. The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points. Total number of people in both cases is not same.This option doesn’t help to resolve the discrepancy.
B. Fifteen percent of the survey's respondents were living overseas at the time of the election. This doesn’t talk about people who voted.
C. Prior research has shown that that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote. This looks more justifiable reason and more generic reason behind this discrepancy.So, correct !
D. Some people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications.This doesn’t help to distinguish the percentage of people who didn’t vote along with percentage of people who missed to respond in pole. Hence, can’t resolve discrepancy.
E. People are less likely to respond to voting poll on the same day that they voted. This doesn’t talk about people - how many and which people were less likely to respond to pole.

+1 Kudo is best way to say thanks, if it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 18:08
C simply becoz C indicates that there were people in the survey who said that they voted but actually could not
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 19:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 03:24
I am unable to understand what the Option C is trying to explain. Can somebody help ?

aalokk wrote:
In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in the most recent national election. Voting records show, however, that only 60% of eligible voters actually voted in that election.

Which of the following pieces of evidence, if true, would provide the best explanation for the discrepancy?

(A) The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points.
(B) Fifteen percent of the surveys respondents were living overseas at the time of the election.
(C) Prior research has shown that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote.
(D) Some people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last minute conflicts on election day or other complications.
(E) Polls about voting behavior typically have margins of error within plus or minus three percentage points.

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
veerdonjuan wrote:
I am unable to understand what the Option C is trying to explain. Can somebody help ?

aalokk wrote:

(A) The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points.
(B) Fifteen percent of the surveys respondents were living overseas at the time of the election.
(C) Prior research has shown that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote.
(D) Some people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last minute conflicts on election day or other complications.
(E) Polls about voting behavior typically have margins of error within plus or minus three percentage points.

hi veerdonjuan,
choice C is (C) Prior research has shown that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote...
we have two different sets numbers..
1) in a survey conducted, 71% say that they cast votes. we do not know what constitutes of this group .. who all parcipated..
2) actual % is 60%..

now what C does is it tries to cover the gap by telling us that people who did not vote are less likely to respond to the survey...
since in the survey , the number of person not voted have not reponded, this has increased the % of people had voted..
hope it helped..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 13:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 14:52
I still do not understand why the answer is C, can somebody please explain? Update: ok, I finally get it! :-)

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."" Muhammad Ali

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five percentage points.
B) Fifteen percent of the survey's respondents were living overseas at the time of the election.
C) Prior research has shown that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote.
D) Some people who intent to do vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications.
E) People are less likely to respond to a voting poll on the same day that they voted.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I fail to understand why the correct answer is correct and why not option D. Can someone please explain?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D
Re: In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
optmistic2016 wrote:

B) Fifteen percent of the survey's respondents were living overseas at the time of the election.
C) Prior research has shown that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote.
D) Some people who intent to do vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications.
E) People are less likely to respond to a voting poll on the same day that they voted.

I fail to understand why the correct answer is correct and why not option D. Can someone please explain?

Hi,
The first mistake You have done is TIMEFRAME when this survey was done..
It was done after the elections and NOT before..

71% say they had casted the vote, while ONLY 60% of those eligible had voted..
Why did more number of people say that they had casted the vote

lets see the choices CORRECT and D

It says that people who voted actually become a part of this survey than people who do not vote..
Therefore if 200 people were eligible and 150 voted and 50 did not vote.. thus 75% voted..
But in survey 80% of those who voted took part as compared to 60% of those who did not vote..
so total surveyed= 0.8 * 150 +0.6 * 50 = 150..
people who said they voted = 0.8 * 150 = 120..
so % = 120/150 = 80%....
so 80% in survey agreed on voting whereas only 75% of total had voted..

These talks of people who had intention of voting BUt could not vote..
they are as it is not part of this survey in Q..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern
Re: In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 03:39
chetan2u Thanks for the explanation - now option C makes sense but this is a very tricky question - what is the difficulty level?

Regarding option D, you mentioned about timeframe, but this is not explicitly mentioned that survey was done before the election or after?

'In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in the most recent national election." -> it doesnt state that survey was done prior or after - it states - recent survey, recent national elections.

Please clarify which point am I missing?
Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 03:44
optmistic2016 wrote:
chetan2u Thanks for the explanation - now option C makes sense but this is a very tricky question - what is the difficulty level?

Regarding option D, you mentioned about timeframe, but this is not explicitly mentioned that survey was done before the election or after?

'In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in the most recent national election." -> it doesnt state that survey was done prior or after - it states - recent survey, recent national elections.

Please clarify which point am I missing?

Hi,
the sentence reads
'In a recent poll, 71% of respondentsreported that they cast votes in the most recent national election."

If it was prior to elections, the sentence would be
'In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they would cast votes in the most recent national election."

Hope it helps

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 00:37
Many thanks, now its crystal clear - I thought past tense of cast is casted - but after double checking it cast. So now it makes more sense - thanks for your support and explanation!
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 01:11
optmistic2016 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Option D talks about the people who have not casted the vote, whereas the survey is about the people who have casted the votes.Option C clearly explains the discrepancy by saying that people who vote are more likely to respond to the surveys. Hence the correct answer.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 20:37
mods pls update the question to remove answer from the text.
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 22:31
This is a great question and the key to answering this question is to understand the data given in the premise.
60% of eligible voters voted -> this means that, of all of the people who were registered / allowed to vote, 60% of them voted.

The 71% refers to people who answered the poll,so we are talking about two different groups here. The poll surveyed some particular set of people , some of whom voted and some of whom did not vote. Some of the people polled may not even have been eligible to vote.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
60% of eligible voters voted -> this means that, of all of the people who were registered / allowed to vote, 60% of them voted.

The 71% refers to people who answered the poll.

So we are talking about two different groups here. The poll surveyed a particular set of people , some of whom voted and some of whom did not vote. Some of the people polled may not even have been eligible to vote.

Now Lets take the case that we have eligible voters as say 1000 - that means 600 of them voted.
The respondents can be the set of people who were eligible to vote and some people who were not eligible to vote - it could be figure more than 1000 or a figure less than 1000.

If the figure is more than 1000 then 71% of respondents would mean a figure of more than 710 but that is more than even the number of people who voted.
That would mean that the number of respondents should be a figure fewer than 1000 - and when is that possible - Option choice C is right on the mark when it says that the people who voted are more likely to be respondents i.e if more people who actually voted participated in the respondent poll and fewer people who did not vote were part of the survey.

Choice D talks about intention before the election but we know that the poll happened after the people actually voted - and hence it does not help us.

Choice E is a confusing answer but there are a few things that come to mind when we thing of choice E as a potential answer
- if some people actually got confused then the figure of respondents can go either way - more than 60% or less than 60%. We should have to make a few additional assumptions while choosing the answer.
Choice C is much better in this regard and hence is a better answer but for sure choice E does cause a lot of confusion in the head.

Hope this helps !!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

The 71% refers to people who answered the poll.

So we are talking about two different groups here. The poll surveyed a particular set of people , some of whom voted and some of whom did not vote. Some of the people polled may not even have been eligible to vote.

Now Lets take the case that we have eligible voters as say 1000 - that means 600 of them voted.
The respondents can be the set of people who were eligible to vote and some people who were not eligible to vote - it could be figure more than 1000 or a figure less than 1000.

If the figure is more than 1000 then 71% of respondents would mean a figure of more than 710 but that is more than even the number of people who voted.
That would mean that the number of respondents should be a figure fewer than 1000 - and when is that possible - Option choice C is right on the mark when it says that the people who voted are more likely to be respondents i.e if more people who actually voted participated in the respondent poll and fewer people who did not vote were part of the survey.

Choice D talks about intention before the election but we know that the poll happened after the people actually voted - and hence it does not help us.

Choice E is a confusing answer but there are a few things that come to mind when we thing of choice E as a potential answer
- if some people actually got confused then the figure of respondents can go either way - more than 60% or less than 60%. We should have to make a few additional assumptions while choosing the answer.

Choice C is much better in this regard and hence is a better answer but for sure choice E does cause a lot of confusion in the head.

Hope this helps !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 12:30
Prior research has shown that that people who actually do vote are also more likely to
respond to polls than those who do not vote. - this resolves the paradox by a simple mean:

71% respond stating they have voted but only 60% polling has happened. As per the above choice, 60% would have more likely responded "Yes" to the survey while the remaining 11% may be from the non-voting populace. Hence correct answer.
Re: In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2016, 12:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap