GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 3134
In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Oct 2018, 23:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:44) correct 18% (02:22) wrong based on 118 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport. If 35% of the students, who play any sport, play only cricket, then what percent of students, in the school, play football?

    A. 42%
    B. 48%
    C. 52%
    D. 52.5%
    E. 65%

To read all our articles: Must read articles to reach Q51

Image

_________________

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 09 Oct 2018, 04:15.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 29 Oct 2018, 23:28, edited 2 times in total.
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8150
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 05:49
1
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport. 35% of the students, who play any sport, play cricket. What percent of students, in the school, play football?

    A. 42%
    B. 48%
    C. 52%
    D. 52.5%
    E. 65%



So say there are 100 students, 80 out of these play games.
35% of 80 play cricket, so remaining 65% of 80 play football =\(80*\frac{65}{100}=52\)
So 52 out of 100 play football, in % it is 100*52/100=52%

C
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 09:56
1
what kind of wording is this question? Are you kidding me, questions like this will never appear on the real Gmat-for sure!!!!
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 3134
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 04:30
1

Solution


Given:
    • 80% of the students, in a school, play either cricket or football and rest don’t play any sport
    • 35% of the students, who play a sport, play only cricket

To find:
    • The percentage of students, in the school, who play football

Approach and Working:
    • Let us assume that the total number of students in the school = 100x
      o So, the number of students, who play cricket or football = 100x * \(\frac{80}{100}\) = 80x
      o The number of students, who play only cricket = 80x * \(\frac{35}{100}\) = 28x
      o This implies that the number of students, who play football = 80x - 28x = 52x

    • Therefore, percentage of students, who play football = \((\frac{52x}{100x}) * 100 = 52\)%

Hence, the correct answer is Option C.

Answer: C

Image

_________________
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 1836
Location: India
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 01:25
1
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport. If 35% of the students, who play any sport, play only cricket, then what percent of students, in the school, play football?

    A. 42%
    B. 48%
    C. 52%
    D. 52.5%
    E. 65%

To read all our articles: Must read articles to reach Q51

Image


Given: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport.

Asked: If 35% of the students, who play any sport, play only cricket, then what percent of students, in the school, play football?

In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest (20%) don’t play any sport.

35% of the students, who play any sport (80%), play only cricket = 35% *80% = 28%

Percent of students, in the school, play football = 80% - 28% = 52% (since 80% play football or cricket and 28% play only cricket.)

IMO C
_________________
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts."

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Kudos encourage active discussions.

My GMAT Resources: -

Efficient Learning
All you need to know about GMAT quant

Tele: +91-11-40396815
Mobile : +91-9910661622
E-mail : kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4829
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 08:06
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport. If 35% of the students, who play any sport, play only cricket, then what percent of students, in the school, play football?

    A. 42%
    B. 48%
    C. 52%
    D. 52.5%
    E. 65%

\(n(F∩C) = 80\) , \(n(F∩C)' = 20\) ; \(n(F∪C) = 100\)

\(n(C)\) is 35% of 80 = 28
\(n(F)\) is 80 - 28 = 52

Answer must be (C) 52, its better to solve such problems using Venn Diagram for beginners....
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8346
Location: United States (CA)
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 07:53
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket, and the rest don’t play any sport. If 35% of the students, who play any sport, play only cricket, then what percent of students, in the school, play football?

    A. 42%
    B. 48%
    C. 52%
    D. 52.5%
    E. 65%


Let’s assume there are 100 students in the school. So 80 of them play either football or cricket, and 0.35 x 80 = 28 students play only cricket. So 80 - 28 = 52 students play football (note: any of these 52 students can play only football or both football and cricket). Therefore, the percent of students who play football is 52/100 = 52%.

Answer: C
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 00:48
Hi all,
Can any of you please explain through a venn diagram?
And can we just do this using percents only and not assuming the total value as 100 or 100X?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2019, 00:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a school, 80% of the students play either football or cricket .....

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne