Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [7]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [5]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [3]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: In a survey of high school students, 35 percent admitted to having lie [#permalink]
Kudos
noTh1ng wrote:
I understand that D is correct, but what is wrong with B?

If those students have lied many more times than stated, then the survey definitely underestimates the percentage of students who lie to their parents?

The given argument does not deal with the actual number of lies but with % of students. This number will remain the same whether the students lie once or more.

Example, Lets say in a class of 10 students, 6 have lied to their parents . So the % of students who have reported to have lied is going to stay at 60% whether they lie once or more. The argument does not 'count' the number of lies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
Re: In a survey of high school students, 35 percent admitted to having lie [#permalink]

If those students have lied many more times than stated, then the survey definitely underestimates the percentage of students who lie to their parents?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhishek009 - Nicely done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The survey may underestimate. This is the Biggest Hint here, It is urging us to select answer which solves this underestimating mystery! D it is!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
In a survey of high school students, 35 percent admitted to having lied to their parents at least once in the past month. However, the survey may underestimate the percentage of high school students who lie to their parents because _____________.

Which of the following best completes the passage above?

(A) some normally honest students taking the survey might have claimed on the survey to actually be dishonest
If more claimed to be dishonest than there actually were, the survey would possibly overestimate, not underestimate the percentage
(B) some students who claimed on the survey to have lied to their parents only once might have actually lied to their parents many more times in the past month the survey is for students who have lied at least once
(C) some students who claimed on the survey that they have lied to their parents at least once in the past month may have been answering honestly If they were answering honestly the survey wouldn't be underestimated
(D) some dishonest students taking the survey might have claimed on the survey to be honestIf they claimed to be honest but weren't this would explain the underestimation
(E) some students who are not high school students have probably lied to their parents at least once in the past month students who are not high school students are out of scope
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
AVRonaldo wrote:
In a survey of high school students, 35 percent admitted to having lied to their parents at least once in the past month. However, the survey may underestimate the percentage of high school students who lie to their parents because _____________.

Which of the following best completes the passage above?

(A) some normally honest students taking the survey might have claimed on the survey to actually be dishonest
(B) some students who claimed on the survey to have lied to their parents only once might have actually lied to their parents many more times in the past month
(C) some students who claimed on the survey that they have lied to their parents at least once in the past month may have been answering honestly
(D) some dishonest students taking the survey might have claimed on the survey to be honest
(E) some students who are not high school students have probably lied to their parents at least once in the past month

Correct Answer: D

This strengthen question asks us to complete the passage by providing a reason that the survey may underestimate the percentage of high school students who lie to their parents (the conclusion). Accurate survey results depend on honest answers; answer choice (D), the correct answer, offers why the survey results may be inaccurate ' that some students who did lie to their parents did not admit to the act on the survey. Answer (A) would show that the survey OVER-estimated the number of dishonest students. Answers (B) and (E) are out of scope of the conclusion; we do not care about the number of times dishonest students lied, nor do we care about students other than high school students. Answer (C) is incorrect because it would actually show that the survey is accurate, and therefore weaken the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:

The question asks us whether they lied or not . B talks about the number of times they lied.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts