GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1265
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 07:01
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2088
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 21:00
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ


Hi QZ,
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers. -- The first statement provides us with the context for interpreting what pronoun 'these' stands for.
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies(It refers to dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, (the spiral is a common type of conventional galaxy)
but tend to be much larger. --> This describes a feature of dim galaxies
Because these galaxies’ (It refers to dim galaxies)mass is spread out over larger areas, they(refers to dim galaxies) have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

Hope this helps!! :-)
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1265
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 21:19
Skywalker18 wrote:
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ


Hi QZ,
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers. -- The first statement provides us with the context for interpreting what pronoun 'these' stands for.
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies(It refers to dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, (the spiral is a common type of conventional galaxy)
but tend to be much larger. --> This describes a feature of dim galaxies
Because these galaxies’ (It refers to dim galaxies)mass is spread out over larger areas, they(refers to dim galaxies) have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

Hope this helps!! :-)


Yes it truly helps. But, then how come the answer to question 91 or 1 is C. It asks for conventional galaxies features...they diffuse more than dim galaxies...IMO diffuse means more spreaded. But as per passage it says dim galaxies are more spreaded.

Hope I am asking clearly
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2088
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 21:33
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ

Hi QZ,
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers. -- The first statement provides us with the context for interpreting what pronoun 'these' stands for.
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies(It refers to dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, (the spiral is a common type of conventional galaxy)
but tend to be much larger. --> This describes a feature of dim galaxies
Because these galaxies’ (It refers to dim galaxies)mass is spread out over larger areas, they(refers to dim galaxies) have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

Hope this helps!! :-)


Yes it truly helps. But, then how come the answer to question 91 or 1 is C. It asks for conventional galaxies features...they diffuse more than dim galaxies...IMO diffuse means more spreaded. But as per passage it says dim galaxies are more spreaded.

Hope I am asking clearly

Hi QZ,
OA for Q 91 is B.
91. According to the passage, conventional spiral galaxies differ from low-surface-brightness galaxies in which of the following ways?
(B) They evolve more quickly than low-surface brightness galaxies. -- According to the passage, dim galaxies evolve much more slowly.(Read the last line of 1st paragraph) So, B is correct
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 04:36
8.5 minutes.

5 correct

2 wrong ( 1 was silly mistake)
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1228
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 17:38
P1- new galaxies; slow; dim; diff with conventional galaxies.
P2 - how it is a missing puzzle. baryons
Main point - about new galaxies - similarity with conventional one and importance of their discovery.

91. According to the passage, conventional spiral galaxies differ from low-surface-brightness galaxies in which of the following ways?
must be in P1

(A) They have fewer stars than do low-surface brightness galaxies. - not true for all
(B) They evolve more quickly than low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - this must be correct.
(C) They are more diffuse than low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - not true for all
(D) They contain less helium than do low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - not true for all
(E) They are larger than low-surface-brightness galaxies. - not true for all
----------------------------------------

92. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is an accurate physical description of typical low-surface-brightness galaxies?

(A) They are large spiral galaxies containing fewer stars than do conventional galaxies. - no; the same approximate number of stars
(B) They are compact but very dim spiral galaxies. - dim is true but compact is not.
(C) They are diffuse spiral galaxies that occupy a large volume of space. - has to be this; the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger
(D) They are small, young spiral galaxies that contain a high proportion of primordial gas. - too broad.
(E) They are large, dense spirals with low luminosity. - no dense

----------------------------------------

93. It can be inferred from the passage that the “longstanding puzzle” refers to which of the following?
anchor - longstanding puzzle - of the missing baryonic mass in the universe ---- Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

(B) The discrepancy between estimates of total baryonic mass derived from measuring helium and estimates based on measuring galactic luminosity - correct; best of the lot.

---------------------------------------
94. The author implies that low-surface-brightness galaxies could constitute an answer to the puzzle discussed in the second paragraph primarily because

the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

(A) they contain baryonic mass that was not taken into account by researchers using galactic luminosity to estimate the number of baryons in the universe -

---------------------------------------

95. The author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity primarily in order to explain

(C) why astronomers can use galactic luminosity to estimate baryonic mass - yes

----------------------------------------

96. The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?

(A) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are more difficult to detect than are conventional galaxies. - T
(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape. - T
(C) Astronomers have advanced plausible ideas about where missing baryonic mass might be found. - T
(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe. - T
(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. - only theory is given here.

--------------------------------------

97. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) describe a phenomenon and consider its scientific significance - to the point. P2 defines scientific significance.
(B) contrast two phenomena and discuss a puzzling difference between them - too weak
(C) identify a newly discovered phenomenon and explain its origins - explain its origins ---- seems wrong
(D) compare two classes of objects and discuss the physical properties of each - P1 only
(E) discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory - inconsistency ---- not true
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Aug 2017
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 06:49
Hi guys,

Can someone provide a detailed explanation of Q97.

Thanks,

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 06:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.