Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 29 May 2017, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 1122 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:57) correct 50% (01:10) wrong based on 389 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 0

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
D for me ..

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

calls for Leakey's contributions.. thus A,B,C are out

now between D&E

D is the best, E modifies the meaning

A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting-> by her .. is awkward..

C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of->

D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of-> "her discovering" ?

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 469 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
I got C
D and E are wrong because of the dangling modifier problem. "her" in the introductory modifier certainly does not modify Leakey's contributions.
B is wrong because the proper syntax is "X contributes to science with X's research on/discovery of"
A is wrong on the basis of parallellism

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 210

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 18:18
DE are out , Dangling modifier must be followed by a proper noun.

The reason why I pick C is || ism . To rephrase ML contributed with her work <on fossil>, her discovery <of evidence> , her documentation <of caves>. Only C holds that ||ism.

sondenso wrote:
37. In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
CEO
CEO
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 210

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 23:44
Sondenso, if A is the OA then perhaps there's a typo :

37. In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

Maybe that "documenting" is actually "documented" ?? Could you double check for us ?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1122 [0], given: 1

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2008, 23:46
prasannar wrote:
:beat

:oops:

Guess the beast is taking over again... my bad..

Sorry prasannar and every body, I found 2 sentence too similar, so I confuse the one with the other.

The OA of this is D,

Pls advise on the other post that I combined both. right away!

SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2008, 02:12
Paul wrote:
OA cannot be D. It is wrong for obvious reasons.

Paul, be advised this: 11-t63397

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2008, 09:47
I can confirm that the OA is D. I have seen this question on my GMAT Prep I just double checked the answer and it is D.
My 2 cents, In the original sentence if we replace her with Mary Leakey it doesnt make sense.

In addition to Mary Leakey work on M. fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archealogy.

So I think her needs to refer to a Possessive pronoun. In addtion to Mary Leakey's work on M. fossil record, Mary Leakey's contribution

What do you guys think ?

sondenso wrote:
prasannar wrote:
:beat

:oops:

Guess the beast is taking over again... my bad..

Sorry prasannar and every body, I found 2 sentence too similar, so I confuse the one with the other.

The OA of this is D,

Pls advise on the other post that I combined both. right away!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
I came a little late to the party but got D as the answer and here is why.

The sentence starts out 'In addition to'. For this reasons we need to say 'Leakey's contributions to acheology include' because we must include the work on the hominid fossil as one of them.

ex. If we say;

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of ....

This implies that the work on the Miocene hominid fossil is not a contribution.

ex. In addition to X, Mary Leakey contributed to Y..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are different.

ex. In addtion to X, Mary Leakey's contributions to Y include..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are related.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 469 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 14:05
gixxer1000 wrote:
I came a little late to the party but got D as the answer and here is why.

The sentence starts out 'In addition to'. For this reasons we need to say 'Leakey's contributions to acheology include' because we must include the work on the hominid fossil as one of them.

ex. If we say;

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of ....

This implies that the work on the Miocene hominid fossil is not a contribution.

ex. In addition to X, Mary Leakey contributed to Y..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are different.

ex. In addtion to X, Mary Leakey's contributions to Y include..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are related.

Good explanation gixx.

I believe I see what you mean:

In addition to X, Leaky's contribution ... --> comparing two similar things assuming that X is also one of Leaky's contributions.

However, when you look at "her" in the introductory modifier, it still bothered me that "her" has no explicit referent other than the possessive "Leaky's".

Oh well, I see your point but at the same time, I have yet to see such an ambiguous dangling modifier SC in the actual GMAT :shock:

Good discussion.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2008, 19:35
the OA is A

I don't understand why A

isn't "her work" the subject of the modifier?
if so
Mary leakey's contribution should make the most sense
Attachments

maryleakey.JPG
maryleakey.JPG [ 79.55 KiB | Viewed 2234 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 07:09
gixxer, Paul;
I still have a question. It seems there are apparently two differnet questions on this Mary Leaky thing...
In both of them the OA's are determined by the ||ism/correctness of last part of the sentence. However both
OAs treat the modifier thing differently. In one OA it is "In addition to her....., Mary Leaky..."; in another OA it is "In addition to her.....,Mary Leaky's...".

Thoughts?
SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2008, 05:28
I made an excuse in previous post and refered you to other posts. I should paste the two sentence that are really similar and make me confused.

1. OA is D

2.OA is A
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.
A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 5

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2009, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
in the following sentences, the usage of "ML's" is not the key
the // is

here is how // goes:

1. OA is D

2.OA is A
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.
A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 03:24
B.
In addition to her work...., <subject is needed>... so D, E out. C sounds horrible.

Between A and B.
A wrongly suggests that Leaky contributed with "her discovery of the earliest direct evidence" and "her discovery of painstakingly documenting"==>Wrong implication.
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:42
Yes, D and E are clearly out. I am pretty sure about B. However, if there is any valid explanation then I will learn something new... Pls post the OA and OE :)
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [7] , given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
This question is among the brutual SC list. I remeber it well because as you i was stunned when my answer choice was wrong.

I found an explaination in another forum. Just sharring it with you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In this case, the right answer might actually look wrong to many people (which often happens on tricky questions). The opening phrase is talking about her work and saying "in addition to" her work on the fossil record - so we need to say what it is that is referring to this work. Her work on the fossil record was one of her contributions, just as her discovery of hominid activity was one of her contributions. But that's pretty subtle - if you're reading too quickly, you'll think that the opening modifier is referring to Mary Leakey and so we need to have her follow the comma. (But that's not really what's going on - what's actually going on is that we have a list of 3 contributions, but one comes at the beginning of the sentence and the other two come towards the end.)

A simpler sentence with the same set-up:
In addition to food, the mother's contributions to her child include shelter and love.
And as a straight list:
The mother's contributions to her child include food, shelter, and love.
Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity, and her painstaking documentation of East African paintings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2009, 13:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SUBJECT SHOULD MODIFY "HER WORK" AND NOT THE PERSON HIMSELF
SO LEAKY IS INCORRECT SUBJECT,LEAK'YS WORK/LEAKY'S CONTRIBUTION IS THE CRRECT SUBJECT.LEAKY (LEAKY WAS A CONTRIBUTOR) WOULD BE INCORRECT TO MODIFY "HER WORK"

HAD THE SENTENCE STARTED AS "IN ADDITION TO WORKING ON X",SUBJECT WOULD
HAVE BEEN LEAKY.

SUBJECT PROBLEM AS EXPLANIED ABOVE
WITH HER DOCUMENTING is incorrect form.should be WITH HER DOCUMENTATION
"BY HER DISCOVERY" should be "WITH HER DISCOVERY"
"WAS A CONTRIBUTOR" IS WORDY
"LEAKY'S CONTRIBUTIONS" IS A CORRECT SUBJECT since it modifies "HER WORK"(in addition to HER WORK)"
INCLUDE is a correct verb to point out 2 separate contributions
DISCOVER is correct usage
PAINSTAKING DOCUMENTATION is correct usage
DISCOVERING should be DISCOVERY
Manager
Manager
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2011, 02:08
Option D is correct.

D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct
evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

This is testing parallelism and the parallel idiomatic usage is " In addition to ... , Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her X and her Y.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2012, 09:00
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting: Incorrect due to parallelism issue. Her discovery of..(Noun) is not parallel to painstakingly documenting (Verb-ing). We need "of" after verb-ing to make it a Noun.
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting. Incorrect. Same error as A.
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of. Incorrect. "was a contributor" is incorrect.
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of. Correct.
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of. Incorrect due to Parallelism error. This time reversed.

Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.

(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. Incorrect. "Employees of the Railroad" is preferred in GMAT. "In addition to" is preferred "over Added to".

(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. Incorrect for the first reason provided in A.

(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July. Incorrect. Changes meaning.

(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. Incorrect. "That were" is redundant and "the railroad employees" should be "the employees of railroad".

(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. Correct.
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2012, 09:00

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 60 posts ]