Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [83]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [18]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [11]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [5]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009.

(A) are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(B) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, automakers
(C) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, and by the automakers
(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(E) were helped by lower defense spending and a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, also by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

After eliminating C, D,E base on their wrong appositive modifier. There are only A and B, B has present perfect tense, which is unnecessary because there is no sign of that tense in this sentence. The remaining correct answer is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Re: In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon. Between A and D, D misuses the prepositional parallelism by using the preposition for the first two items while missing the same for the third item. A maintains elegant parallelism by using the preposition for the first item and skipping it for the rest

Damn it!!! I again chose D over A.

Would this have been a correct sentence correction?

(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and BY proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

Thanks,
Rohan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
rohan89 wrote:
Would this have been a correct sentence correction?

(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and BY proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

The sentence is using "like". I am surprised because is it not the intent to mention "Medicaid" as an example? So, I believe the sentence should be using "such as".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon. Between A and D, D misuses the prepositional parallelism by using the preposition for the first two items while missing the same for the third item. A maintains elegant parallelism by using the preposition for the first item and skipping it for the rest

I was wondering does B has any other problem apart the tense? If in B it was "are being"instead of "have been". Also, Though it is not -underlined isn't the use of like is wrong in each sentence rather it should be "such as.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Send PM
In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009.

GM and Chrysler are the automakers that were taken over by Washington.
and everything else is in present tense.
automakers are specific and therefore article is needed before them.

(A)correct choice

(B)present perfect tense is used instead of simple present tense,
by proceeds breaks the rule of parallelism
Article the is removed

(C) conjunction and is removed thereby hampering the sentence
present perfect tense error repeats here
and by the automakers incorrectly modifies GM and Chrysler

(D) by a drop in non essential modifier spoils the sentence here

(E) past tense were helped is used here instead of present tense
non essential modifier is forcibly made parallel to the main sentence
also by proceeds does not make any sense by meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh / chetan2u,

Can you please suggest whats wrong with present perfect tense in option B and C.

Why can't we use present perfect tense in this sentence.

Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon.

How did you get to know that its an ongoing phenomenon..?

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh , MagooshExpert GMATNinja

Can we on first strike strike out B and C and choose A D E as A D E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and C.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

[edited]

Originally posted by ucb2k7 on 13 Mar 2018, 22:58.
Last edited by ucb2k7 on 15 Mar 2018, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
alphaseeker wrote:

(A) are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(B) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, automakers
(C) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, and by the automakers
(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(E) were helped by lower defense spending and a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, also by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

Imo A
This question tests on two concepts 1) Tense
The federal government’s books are being helped by all the factors .It is an ongoing phenomenon so we have to use present continuous tense .

2)There is a list of factors which contribute to the government's books .

So we have to use correct list
By X , Y and Z or
By X, by Y , and by Z

Also there is an absolute modifier at the end of the original sentence that modifies modifies General Motors and Chrysler .

A correct

B List is wrong

C Makes absolute modifier part of the main clause and includes it in the list -clearly wrong .This choice suggests that there were other automobile companies other that the General Motors and Chrysler.

D List is wrong

E Past tense is not required also list is horrible in in E

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 14 Mar 2018, 06:49.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 10 Jun 2018, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
ucb2k7 wrote:

Can we on first strike strike out B and D and choose A C E as A C E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and D.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question correctly -- I see "the automakers" in all answer choices except for B. Could you clarify a little more what you mean here?

Thanks! :-)
-Carolyn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
MagooshExpert wrote:
ucb2k7 wrote:

Can we on first strike strike out B and D and choose A C E as A C E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and D.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question correctly -- I see "the automakers" in all answer choices except for B. Could you clarify a little more what you mean here?

Thanks! :-)
-Carolyn

----------------------------------
Hi MagooshExpert,

I am sorry it is choice B and C to strike out. Answer choice B has 'automakers' . Answer choice C does the mistake of writing 'by the automakers' after the name of the automaker is mentioned. What I am asking here is can we strike out B on the basis of the missing 'the' before automakers as it should have 'the' before automakers as we are referring to a specific brand here...like 'the Taj'.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM