Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
In an area devoid of volcanic activity, a discovery has been made by a [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun sayantanc2k MartyTargetTestPrep

(Q3) in D - Isn't 450 miles a countable noun ?

great' and "much" dont go with countable nouns. 'great' and "much" are used with UN-COUNTABLE nouns only.

Quote:
example
Correct - i have many hats (hats is countable)
Correct - Cake gives me great satisfaction (satisfaction is uncountable)
Corect - i have much patience (patience is unountable)

Incorrect - i have great hats (hats is countable)

Hence, i thought the idiom should be -- as many as 450 miles because many IS USED WITH COUNTABLE nouns.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: In an area devoid of volcanic activity, a discovery has been made by a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

(Q2) in D - Isn't 450 miles a countable noun ?

great' and "much" dont go with countable nouns. 'great' and "much" are used with UN-COUNTABLE nouns only.

Quote:
example

Hence, i thought the idiom should be -- as many as 450 miles because many IS USED WITH COUNTABLE nouns.

Hello, jabhatta2. I know I am not one of the Experts you mentioned, and I do not mean to step on any toes, so I will keep my response brief. While you wait for a more in-depth response, have you considered the following?

• The idiom as _____ as and how it operates?
  • That the aforementioned idiom might refer to depth?

I ask because I think both of your questions stem from the same issue. Anyway, think it over. I will step aside for one of my colleagues to take over (and probably do a better job explaining things).

- Andrew
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: In an area devoid of volcanic activity, a discovery has been made by a [#permalink]
Top Contributor
AndrewN wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

(Q2) in D - Isn't 450 miles a countable noun ?

Quote:
example

Hello, jabhatta2. I know I am not one of the Experts you mentioned, and I do not mean to step on any toes, so I will keep my response brief. While you wait for a more in-depth response, have you considered the following?

• The idiom as _____ as and how it operates?
  • That the aforementioned idiom might refer to depth?

I ask because I think both of your questions stem from the same issue. Anyway, think it over. I will step aside for one of my colleagues to take over (and probably do a better job explaining things).

- Andrew

I totally agree with Sir Andrew. Another well-regarded sir after Sir Charles :blushing:

Often we invoke the expert's voice when the backbone of this website are the students themselves. Does not exist a top-down strategy but a community. A flat-sharing among the peers.

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

(Q3) in D - Isn't 450 miles a countable noun ?

Quote:
example

The noun Miles is countable - 1 mile, 2 miles... alright
The noun Depth is uncountable - 1 depth, 2 depths... does not make sense

The adjective "great" here refers to the noun "depth", not "miles", and hence is alright.

Hi sayantanc2k - curious - how are you sure the idiom 'as great as' should refer to Depth and not 450 miles ?

example -
(i ) I come from a distance of as many as 100 miles.
(ii) I come from a distance of as much as 100 miles.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

example -
(i ) I come from a distance of as many as 100 miles.
(ii) I come from a distance of as much as 100 miles.

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the structure of this sentence is such that "as great as 415 miles" is a noun modifier that acts upon the noun "depth"; in other words, "415 miles" is a part of the modifying phrase.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Is the tense in "(E) team of scientists from the University of California has made the discovery of a fragment of the Swiss Alps that had seemingly come from a depth as far" OK? Specifically: past perfect "had seemingly come"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
NandishSS wrote:
In an area devoid of volcanic activity, a discovery has been made by a team of scientists from the University of California that a fragment of the Swiss Alps seems like it came from a depth as far down as 415 miles.

(A) discovery has been made by a team of scientists from the University of California that a fragment of the Swiss Alps seems like it came from a depth as far down

(B) discovery was made by a team of scientists from the University of California who found a fragment of the Swiss Alps that seems like it had come from a depth of as much

(C) team of scientists from the University of California have discovered a fragment of the Swiss Alps that has seemingly come from a depth of as great

(D) team of scientists from the University of California has discovered a fragment of the Swiss Alps that seems to have come from a depth as great

(E) team of scientists from the University of California has made the discovery of a fragment of the Swiss Alps that had seemingly come from a depth as far

the following is correct.

the discover has been made that the fragments of Alperl seemingly came from a long depth

if the main clause is short and that-clause, "that the fragment of..." is close to the noun modified, "discovery", the sentence if fine.

but in choice A, between "discovery" and that- clause , a long phrase is inserted, and so, the sentence is wrong. in gmatprep, there is an official answer which prove my point.

so, there is no absolute rule of grammar here. if the clause modifying the noun is close to the noun, the sentence is correct. if the noun and the the modifying clause are far, the sentence is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
I understand the reasons for elimination and the correct answer, but I was wondering if the use of "who" is correct in option B. Can "who" be used to refer to team? One of the replies above says it can't but who is referring to people, which I would think is correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
In an area devoid of volcanic activity, a discovery has been made by a [#permalink]
kelly_jacques wrote:
I understand the reasons for elimination and the correct answer, but I was wondering if the use of "who" is correct in option B. Can "who" be used to refer to team? One of the replies above says it can't but who is referring to people, which I would think is correct?

The team THAT does this will be rewarded. - > may be better/safer.

Another way of thinking about this issue could be to make some sentences that test the concept:

An army is made up of soldiers WHO are people. Sounds good.

An army who eats a lot can do a lot. Sounds a little awkward. You'd feel more comfortable using THAT.

-

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts