Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [182]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [31]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [18]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Send PM
Re: Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the gover [#permalink]
Kudos
C as well: The argument claims that inmates who take college level courses are less likely to commit crimes when they get out. But it may be that those inmates who had taken those classes did so because they seek out education and a way out of crime, thus less likely to commit a crime with or w/o the college level classes. Option C clarifies that prior to taking the classes, all inmates are just as likely to commit crimes when they are released, and that the college classes reduce this likelihood.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the gover [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't get your logic for A. C works to me. If we hold that the courses didn't actually affect the proclivity of released felons to recommit crimes like C infers (because the better behavior wasn't due to the education, rather this good group sought out education) then the narrorator's point against the governor's plan falls apart because the governor's change will actually not encourage criminal behavior.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31925 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vannbj wrote:
I don't get your logic for A. C works to me. If we hold that the courses didn't actually affect the proclivity of released felons to recommit crimes like C infers (because the better behavior wasn't due to the education, rather this good group sought out education) then the narrorator's point against the governor's plan falls apart because the governor's change will actually not encourage criminal behavior.

hi , the logic by which i replied A is that in C i think there is change in scope.....
the passage is concerned if guv's plan "to deny inmates the access they formerly had to college-level courses" would be helpful however the scope is shifted in C to if these courses are helpful..... only A is the assumption closest to scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [9]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The following is Ron Purewal's (i.e the GOD of GMAT verbal) explanation:

nah, this should definitely be (c). you probably just have the wrong answer key.

the argument depends upon the assumption that eliminating college-level courses will have an effect on inmates' rates of recidivism ("counter to the governor's ultimate goal"). in other words, the argument is assuming that the college-level courses CAUSE differences in the inmates' behavior.

if you're going to argue that X causes Y, one necessary precondition (assumption) is that Y DOESN'T cause X.
this is precisely what is asserted in (c), which should be the correct answer.

--

not only is (a) in incorrect assumption, but (a) actually runs EXACTLY COUNTER to the argument.

if the presence/absence of college courses will NOT DETER crime, then that is essentially saying that it has no effect.
therefore, since there's no effect, this action will NOT be "counter to the governor's ultimate goal".

hence (a) is not only a wrong assumption; it actually undermines the argument!

instructor, mgmat
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
C:) The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released.

This can not be the assumption. If you negate the assumption, it should weaken the argument. But after negation this option strengthen the argument.

D and E are out of scope.

B). We are not concerned with general population. This comparison is not relevant.

Thus by POE -> A

A. Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.
is actually
A. Being able to take college-level courses while in prison is likely to deter anyone from a crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.

Yes A is an assumption. if you negate this A, the conclusion is weaken.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the governor is getting tough
on criminals and making prison conditions harsher. Part of this effort has been to deny inmates
the access they formerly had to college-level courses. However, this action is clearly counter to
the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken
such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates. Which of the following
is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a
crime that he or she might otherwise have committed.
B. Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general
population.
C. The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than
other inmates to commit crimes after being released.
D. Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior
than taking college-level courses does.
E. The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something
effective is being done about crime.

Hi EGMAT,

My analysis, conclusion of the argument is "this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal". keeping this understanding , i can eliminate option B,D&E.

now in option A.

A. Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is unlikely to deter anyone from a

This is a new information and negation of this sentence would be

Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is likely to deter anyone from a

So that actually says govt goal can be achieve and shatters the author conclusion.

Now for Option C

C. The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were not already less likely than

Negating this argument says

C. The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were already less likely than

In argument it is given that inmates are already commited fever crime. the only difference in the option C , while negating it says that they will less likely to commit crimes after being released.

i thought option C is just re-statement with only difference after being released.

So I'm confused ,please clear my understanding.

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Newspaper editorial: In an attempt to reduce the crime rate, the governor is getting tough
on criminals and making prison conditions harsher. Part of this effort has been to deny inmates
the access they formerly had to college-level courses. However, this action is clearly counter to
the governor’s ultimate goal, since after being released form prison, inmates who had taken
such courses committed far fewer crimes overall than other inmates. Which of the following
is an assumption on which the argument depends?
B. Former inmates are no more likely to commit crimes than are members of the general
population.
D. Taking high school level courses in prison has less effect on an inmate’s subsequent behavior
than taking college-level courses does.
E. The governor’s ultimate goal actually is to gain popularity by convincing people that something
effective is being done about crime.

Hi EGMAT,

My analysis, conclusion of the argument is "this action is clearly counter to the governor’s ultimate goal". keeping this understanding , i can eliminate option B,D&E.

now in option A.

This is a new information and negation of this sentence would be

Not being able to take college-level courses while in prison is likely to deter anyone from a

So that actually says govt goal can be achieve and shatters the author conclusion.

Now for Option C

Negating this argument says

C. The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were already less likely than

In argument it is given that inmates are already commited fever crime. the only difference in the option C , while negating it says that they will less likely to commit crimes after being released.

i thought option C is just re-statement with only difference after being released.

So I'm confused ,please clear my understanding.

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

First of all, thanks for sharing your analysis. I truly appreciate that you put in the required efforts before asking a questions :)

I see that your negation of option A is not entirely correct and this may be contributing to the confusion.

What do you think is the negation of the below statement?

He is unlikely to kill anyone.

Which of the following 2 is the negation?
1. He is likely to call anyone
2. He is likely to kill someone.

I look forward to your response on this.

Now, coming to option C.

The argument says that people who take course commit fewer crimes. Right?

On the basis of this, the argument concludes that the governor's plan will be counterproductive.

So, what is the most fundamental assumption underlying?

The most fundamental assumption is that the courses are somewhat responsible for the fewer crimes. (Please note the difference between this assumption and the statement given in the passage. The statement in the passage is about correlation i.e. two things (course and fewer crimes) co-exist. This assumption is about causality i.e courses are responsible for fewer crimes. You are missing this difference in your analysis).

Now, if we somehow prove that the courses are not responsible for fewer crimes, both the above assumption and the conclusion will fall apart. Right?

This is what option C does.

Its negation says that people who chose the courses were in any case likely to commit fewer crimes. So, this means that the courses didn't lead to fewer crimes; such people were in any case going to commit fewer crimes.

Since the negation of option C topples the conclusion, option C is a correct assumption.

Does it help?

Feel free to ask in case of any further queries :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi Chiranjeev,

Thanks for the clarification,Still there are certain queries i need to clarify,

As you mention its a causative statement, which i really found very useful and really make this analysis a bit easy to understand. :)
So going with this understanding , Criminal who took courses leads to fewer crime.
Now in option A states after negating , Criminal not taking course will leads to no fewer crime and this means its not a valid assumption. (No X no Y structure is not a valid assumption)

But in Option C your negated statement says " people who chose the courses were in any case likely to commit fewer crimes."
whereas mine negated statement is "The group of inmates who chose to take college-level courses were already less likely than other inmates to commit crimes after being released."

howcome "were already less likely than other inmates " leads to "any case likely to ?

what i assume is less likely than other inmates is just a part of modifier which can be neglected while negating.

Please correct my understading where i'm wrong?

and answering to your questions.

He is unlikely to kill anyone negated statement would be

He is likely to kill anyone or can we say He is unlikely to kill no one ? i'm having doubt on the latter statement?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
hi, sayantanc2k

i always go wrong when CR is involved with complex sentences like A and C with double negatives. i have hard time understanding them. please help me how to approach them. Thank you
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [7]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos