Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [240]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [51]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [22]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [2]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho [#permalink]
Kudos
ill go with A

Reason: one of several clinical research projects : seek is required.

i some how feel A i better than B

My Bad just learned extend that is wrong idiomatic usage.....

So B is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its B.
“one of several x “ takes plural verbs
Between A / B.
A : “extent that” is not correct. extent to which.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [12]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:IIM, ISB, & XLRI
 Q45  V21 GMAT 2: 630  Q46  V31
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey stringworm,

I got following information from Grail and hope this will clarify your doubt:

One of the 'Noun' (will always be plural) + that/who + Plural Verb

Seems a kindda idiom :-) One of the X Who/That Y

Anyways, reffer to Page# 48 of SC Grail 2nd edition for better understanding. Hope this helps !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q42 V25
Send PM
Kudos
I don???t understand how option B can be the correct answer here. ???one of several clinical research projects??? means that you are talking about one i.e. singular. It should relate to seeks.

e.g: One of the letters is mine ... It will never be One of the letters are mine!!!
Even if i consider the bizarre ???One of the 'Noun' (will always be plural) + that/who + Plural Verb.??? Rule. If i apply on a example,
One of the ladies who is coming via this train... (One of the ladies who ???are??? coming ... is just odd)
One of the cars that exploded in the accident was mine. (One of the cars that exploded in the accident were mine.... odd)

Isolating and comparing the sentences ...i believe clears the picture.

In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seeks to determine the extent...
In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seek to determine the extent...(odd).

Kindly clear my doubt. Thanks in advance...
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kaiserkaran wrote:
I don???t understand how option B can be the correct answer here. ???one of several clinical research projects??? means that you are talking about one i.e. singular. It should relate to seeks.

e.g: One of the letters is mine ... It will never be One of the letters are mine!!!
Even if i consider the bizarre ???One of the 'Noun' (will always be plural) + that/who + Plural Verb.??? Rule. If i apply on a example,
One of the ladies who is coming via this train... (One of the ladies who ???are??? coming ... is just odd)
One of the cars that exploded in the accident was mine. (One of the cars that exploded in the accident were mine.... odd)

Isolating and comparing the sentences ...i believe clears the picture.

In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seeks to determine the extent...
In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seek to determine the extent...(odd).

Kindly clear my doubt. Thanks in advance...

The pronoun "that" refers to "projects" (modifier touch rule), not "one of the projects".

There are many projects that seek xxx. Dr. Temoscho directs one of them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Can someone explain why "in supplementing" is correct instead of "to supplement"?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
brightandamen wrote:
Can someone explain why "in supplementing" is correct instead of "to supplement"?

Hello brightandamen,

I would be glad to help you with your query in case you still have this doubt. :-)

The phrase help/s in doing is an idiomatic expression that is used in a structure such as: A helps in doing B.

Same is the structure of this official sentence.

However, IMHO, Choice A is NOT incorrect because of the use of to supplement. Even this phrase works in the context of the sentence. Choice A is incorrect for the incorrect usage of extent that.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello Experts,

I am unable to exact meaning difference between A and B

Request your help to understand the meaning :-)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

I am unable to exact meaning difference between A and B

Request your help to understand the meaning :-)

Hello pikolo2510,

I would be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Both Choice A and B convey the same meaning. They both suggest that Dr. Temoscho is directing one of many clinical research projects. These projects attempt to figure out to what extent psychological counseling helps in supplementing the medical treatment of serious disease.

From meaning stand point, Choice A and B convey the same meaning. However, Choice B uses the correct expression to convey the meaning clearly.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja , I am unable to ascertain the difference between choice A and choice B. Meaning wise both the options appear to be correct.
Is the use of "extent that" the only thing makes choice A incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
between a and b can you please tell a specific reason to eliminate a . According to me their is nothing wrong with extent that, and as far gmat sc goes, I don't think that gmat is testing this particular issue in the sentence. Also there is nothing wrong with to supplement and in supplementing , one is an infinitive and other is an idiom or phrasal verb . Can you help me with this
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
One of X that verb.... Verb qualifies according to X. Here X is plural, Verb will be seek undoubtedly.
Now between A and B, here is my analysis.

(A) seek to determine the extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement
Remaining part after the extent is modifier. And sentence seems to tell that "seek to determine the extent"..... Which is ambiguous.

(B) seek to determine how helpful psychological counseling is in supplementing
Here it is clear that projects that seek to determine how helpful+ remaining part.

B is correct.
Would like to get feedback over my explanation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seek to determine the extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement the medical treatment of serious disease.

(A) seek to determine the extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement
(C) seeks to determine how helpful psychological counseling is to supplement
(D) seeks to determine to what extent psychological counseling is a help in supplementing
(E) seeks to determine the extent that psychological counseling is helpful in supplementing

As pointed out earlier, SV pair here is projects-seek.

C D E out.

I want to focus a great deal on option A, explain why option A is incorrect.

Original sentence as it is

In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seek to determine the extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement the medical treatment of serious disease.

I have no problem with the first that,referring back to projects.

The second that after extent, what is "that" doing there?

The word “that” primarily has four different uses in English:

a) as a demonstrative adjective
The word “that” can be used as a demonstrative adjective, that is to say, as a noun-modifier that indicates precisely which noun is meant. In this role, it always immediately precedes the noun it modifies.

I enjoyed that Netflix series.

b) as a demonstrative pronoun

The word “that” can be used as a demonstrative pronoun. Like any pronoun, in this role the word “that” stands in for a noun, and of course, the noun it represents must be a proper antecedent somewhere in the sentence.

Ex:That looks like the car I used to drive. That points to car

c) as a subordinate conjunction

The word “that” can be used as a subordinate conjunction, that is, as a word that marks the beginning of a dependent clause.

Ex: The teacher is confident that her students mastered the lesson.

d) as a relative pronoun

The word “that” can be used as a relative pronoun; in other words, as a pronoun that begins a subordinate clause and is the subject of that clause.

Ex: There is no English word that rhymes with orange.

Coming back to the original sentence, the second that is definitely not acting as a subordinate conjunction or as a relative pronoun.

Is that acting as demonstrative pronoun? is there a logical antecedent to the second that? -NO

How about that referring back to extent, as a demonstrative adjective? does not make sense. replace that with extent and see how illogical sentence becomes.

In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of several clinical research projects that seek to determine the extent extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement the medical treatment of serious disease.

Therefore option B.
Source Credit : https://magoosh.com/gmat/verbal/sentenc ... s-of-that/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
One of the .......abc that ..."verb" - the verb needs to be plural and hence only A and B remain.

Extent that is unidiomatic here . It's better to user extent to which.

Hence option B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Between options A and B, I luckily chose A (not sure for the correct reason). (I did read the explanations that talk about idioms "aid in supplementing", "help in enabling". So, these points on idiom are duly noted.)

Quote:

It is like saying...seek to determine the extent that psychological counseling helps to supplement
=> seek to determine the "extent" (the essential modifier "that" is giving more info about the "extent". But ultimately this option is determining the EXTENT.)

Quote:

Whereas in this option, it is clear what we are seeking to determine: "How helpful...."

Hence, Option B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
in A]
''one of several clinical research projects that seek''

how to determine whether 'that' is referring to 'one' or 'projects'. It is very confusing because at times 'that' jumps over the prepositional phrase and sometimes it does not.

context wise both 'one' and 'project' makes sense with the verb 'seek'

please guide.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in A]
''one of several clinical research projects that seek''

how to determine whether 'that' is referring to 'one' or 'projects'. It is very confusing because at times 'that' jumps over the prepositional phrase and sometimes it does not.

context wise both 'one' and 'project' makes sense with the verb 'seek'

please guide.

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the main object is the pronoun "one"; we can tell that "that" refers to "projects" by taking a close look at the meaning of the sentence.

If we take "that" to refer to "one" (the research project that Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing), then the meaning that we get is that Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one project, out of a general set of projects, and this one project seeks to determine some fact about psychological counseling.

In this interpretation, the "one of several...projects" phrase essentially becomes redundant, as it just conveys that other research projects exist; this is awkward and confuses the meaning of the sentence.

If we take "that" to refer to "projects", then the meaning that we get is that Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of the multiple projects that seek to determine some fact about psychological counseling.

In this interpretation, the "one of several...projects" phrase is much more relevant, as it tells us that there are many projects looking into this issue and Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one of them.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts