Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: In an effort to save energy and, thus, money, many people keep their [#permalink]
Kudos
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
In an effort to save energy and, thus, money, many people keep their electric freezers halfempty at all times, using them to store prefrozen foods bought at a store and nothing else. Yet freezers that are half-empty usually consume more energy than they would if they were kept fully stocked.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation for the apparent discrepancy described above?

A) A person who normally maintains a halfempty freezer would save a considerable amount of money by using a freezer that is half as large.

B) An electric freezer can operate efficiently only if chilled air is free to circulate within the freezing compartment.

C) A given volume of air in a freezer requires much more energy to be maintained at a temperature below freezing than does an identical volume of frozen food.

D) The door of a full freezer is likely to be opened more often, and for a longer period of time, than is the door of a halfempty freezer.

E) On average, it takes less energy to keep food frozen than it does to get it from room temperature to a frozen state.

expl discr: to save kcal + $ "many" keep frz 1/2 empt… using only to store prefrz; yet, such strategy uses more kcal than full; how come? maybe 1/2 empty means that there is more space available, so everytime i open the frz more "cold" air would exit than if the frz was full, meaning that the frz would consume more kcal to stabilize a frzg temp.

(A) this doesnt exp y half empty uses more than full, irrelevant;
(B) this also widens the discrepancy, because the half empty has more free space vs full, and thus is operating efficiently, which could mean using less energy, but it is using more!
(D) this could potentially widen the discrepancy, irrelevant;
(E) this choice is irrelevant, because stem says "store prefrozen foods, nothing else";

Answer (C): yes, this is close to what we were thinking (but better); a full uses less energy to keep temp stable than a half empty, because volume of air needs reqs more energy than a full to maintain frzg temp.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In an effort to save energy and, thus, money, many people keep their [#permalink]
Look for an option that supports the claim.

A. out of scope
B. opposing the claim
C. Supports the claim
D. opposing the claim
E. out of scope

Hence, C is the best choice.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts