GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Re: In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 03:36
Only when there is no exposure to any culture specific music can we link the biological predisposition in babies to the interval of music.

Option B proves that.

+1 B
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Re: In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2012, 22:57
Plz elaborate why option C is incorrect

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:49
gmatfighter12 wrote:
I eliminated B based on the extreme language and picked A instead.

Isnt language is something you should take into consideration? Thanks.

Per Power Score Critical Reasoning Bible, in a strengthen question you should take all answer choices as true.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 02:54
+1 for B
in option A, the focus is on older children and adults. Even though they had a general tendency to pay more attention to octaves, fifths, and fourths than to other musical intervals, they may have previous exposure to music from any culture.
I think option B is more strong than option A because in option B stated that none of the babies in the experiment had previous exposure to music from any culture.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 15:35
deepti1206 wrote:
In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals - two-note sequences - to a large diverse group of six-month old babies. They found that the babies paid significantly more attention when the intervals were perfect octaves, fifths, or fourths than otherwise. These intervals are prevalent in the musical systems of most cultures around the world. Thus, humans probably have a biological predisposition to pay more attention to those intervals than to others.

Which one of the following, if true most strengthens the argument?

A) Several similar experiments using older children and adults found that these subjects, too, had a general tendency to pay more attention to octaves, fifths, and fourths than to other musical intervals.

B) None of the babies in the experiment had previous exposure to music from any culture.

C) All of the babies in the experiment had been exposed to music drawn equally from a wide variety of cultures around the world.

D) In a second experiment, these same babies showed no clear tendency to notice primary colors more than other colors.

E) Octaves, fifths, and fourths were played more frequently during the experiment than other musical intervals were.

I think the answer is "B" because it eliminates any confounding factors that could possibly contribute to a baby recognizing specific intervals. Also, the other answers appear to be wrong...

A: This is a very tempting answer because it provides evidence that other humans have a predisposition for certain intervals. But a glaring problem is that these adults and older children may have been exposed to these intervals through music throughout their lives, which means they were not naturally predisposed.

C: If the babies were already exposed to music, then the music exposure might have been the cause of their predisposition. This means it is not biologically influenced.

D: Unrelated information about a different sense.

E: Also tempting, but the question is about the predisposition towards the notes
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Tuck, NYU Stern, Yale, LBS, INSEAD, ISB, MBS
GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 05:11
GMATPill, great explanation,
but I would just want nightblade354 GMATNinja and gmat1393 to validate the explanation.
Is filling a gap in an argument a better strengthener according to GMAT standards?
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 05:16
sharathnair14, it depends. Strengthen/weaken questions can attack anywhere in the passage. Sometimes it will be the actual premise, other times it will be the space between the premise(s) and conclusion.

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2019, 05:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

In an experiment, researchers played a series of musical intervals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics