It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: *700* In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 22:27
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made pie dough together using rolling pins and other utensils. Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different from those used by the other father-son pairs, and each father repeated the phrase “rolling pin” each time his son used it. But when the children were asked to identify all of the rolling pins among a group of kitchen utensils that included several rolling pins, each child picked only the one that he had used. Which one of the following inferences is most supported by the information above?

a) The children did not grasp the function of a rolling pin.Most probably they did becuase they used the rolling pins in action. But over here the experiment tests something entirely different. It does not test the understanding of the function of the rolling pin by children but it tests whether children can identify a rolling pin.

b) No two children understood the name “rolling pin” to apply to the same object.Exactly, the children did not pick up other rolling pins but only the ones that they used for the pie dough. This shows that *all* of the children understood the name "rolling pin" to apply to one object, the object that they used.

c) The children understood that all rolling pins have the same general shape.No. On the contrary, the children understood that a rolling pin can only be 1.

d) Each child was able to identify correctly only the utensils that he had used.We do not know anything about what the children did with the other utensils during the experiment when children were asked to identify what they had used. We are only given information about rolling pins. What stands as true for one type of utensil, rolling pin, may not stand as true for the others.

e) The children were not able to distinguish the rolling pins they used from other rolling pins.The total opposite is suggested in the stem.

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 133

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 02:52
souvik101990 wrote:
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made pie dough together using rolling pins and other utensils. Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different from those used by the other father-son pairs, and each father repeated the phrase “rolling pin” each time his son used it. But when the children were asked to identify all of the rolling pins among a group of kitchen utensils that included several rolling pins, each child picked only the one that he had used. Which one of the following inferences is most supported by the information above?

a) The children did not grasp the function of a rolling pin.

b) No two children understood the name “rolling pin” to apply to the same object.

c) The children understood that all rolling pins have the same general shape.

d) Each child was able to identify correctly only the utensils that he had used.

e) The children were not able to distinguish the rolling pins they used from other rolling pins.

"No two children..." what's that? Is that the official AC or is something missing?

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 302

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 05:07
b
Each of the children thought of "rolling pin" to be a distinct object that was used by each.

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 20:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 01:49
I had chosen D
But now it clicked me..for inference question we need to pick the safest option..that will be correct in any scenario (100% true)

When you are grateful - when you can see what you have - you unlock blessings to flow in your life

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 105

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 20:22
email2vm wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made pie dough together using rolling pins and other utensils. Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different from those used by the other father-son pairs, and each father repeated the phrase "rolling pin" each time his son used it. But when the children were asked to identify all of the rolling pins among a group of kitchen utensils that included several rolling pins, each child picked only the one that he had used.
Which one of the following inferences is most supported by the information above?

(A) The children did not grasp the function of rolling pin
(B) No two children understood the name "rolling pin" to apply to the same object
(C) The children understood that all rolling pins have the same general shape
(D) Each child was able to identify correctly only the utensils that he had used
(E) The children were not able to distinguish the rolling pins they used from other rolling pins

Experts,

Need your help here to understand why C is not the contender. My reasoning is as below:

Since each child was asked to pick all the rolling pins but he chose to pick only one he has used. Which means that he is searching for all the pins which looks similar to the one he has used and hence he was searching for the same general shape. And it must be true that child is not aware that rolling pins are distinct. But he couldn't find any other than the one he used. hence C.

what's the flaw in this reasoning?

looking for answers.

oa is C it seems that few of u got the right answer though I myself chose B :shock: :shock:

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 00:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 954 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 09:55
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made pie dough together using rolling pins and other utensils. Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different from those used by the other father-son pairs, and each father repeated the phrase "rolling pin" each time his son used it. But when the children were asked to identify all of the rolling pins among a group of kitchen utensils that included several rolling pins, each child picked only the one that he had used.

Type - inference

(A) The children did not grasp the function of rolling pin - From the text, it seems possible that the children did understand the function of a rolling pin; certainly, they were able to identify the rolling pin they used.
(B) No two children understood the name "rolling pin" to apply to the same object - Correct - The answer must be true because we know that despite being asked to identify all the rolling pins, each child selected only the rolling pin he had used. No two children picked the same rolling pin and therefore no two children understood the name “rolling pin” to
apply to the same object.
(C) The children understood that all rolling pins have the same general shape - Incorrect - If this was true , then children would have chosen other rolling pins too
(D) Each child was able to identify correctly only the utensils that he had used - ISWAT - a rolling pin is a utensil, but there are other utensils as well, and the stimulus does not give us information about whether the children could identify those utensils.
(E) The children were not able to distinguish the rolling pins they used from other rolling pins - Incorrect - 180 answer

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 954 [0], given: 72

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 00:48
OE : Courtesy some expert :
Answer (B). The “rolling pin” problem above is a famous question that lures
many people to incorrectly select answer choice (D), a Shell Game answer.
Answer choice (D) looks perfect at first glance, but the author never indicated
that the children could identify only the utensils that they used. Rolling pins,
yes; utensils, no. The correct answer choice is (B), which many test takers
quickly pass over. Let’s examine each answer: Answer choice (A): From the
text, it seems possible that the children did understand the function of a
rolling pin; certainly, they were able to identify the rolling pin they used.
Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The answer must be
true because we know that despite being asked to identify all the rolling pins,
each child selected only the rolling pin he had used. No two children picked
the same rolling pin and therefore no two children understood the name
“rolling pin” to apply to the same object. Answer choice (C): Apparently not,
otherwise logic would say the children would pick other rolling pins aside from
the one they used. Answer choice (D): Do not be concerned if you fell into
this trap, but consider it a lesson for the future. The test makers smoothly slip
“utensils” into the answer choice, and most students make the mistake of
equating utensils with rolling pins. Yes, a rolling pin is a utensil, but there are
other utensils as well, and the stimulus does not give us information about
whether the children could identify those utensils. This is the essence of the
Shell Game: you expect one thing and the test makers slip something quite
similar but essentially different into its place. Answer choice (E): This is an
Opposite Answer. As indicated by the final sentence of the stimulus, the
children were able to distinguish the rolling pin they used from the other
rolling pins. This circumstance is exactly opposite of that stated in answer
choice (E), which declares, “The children were not able to distinguish...” In
this case, if you miss the “not,” this answer choice is very attractive.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 00:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap