Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

The biggest issue in (A) is the mess of pronouns toward the end of the sentence. That first “they” logically needs to refer to “local artisans”, but that raises two problems. First, “Buddha images” is the closest plural noun, so that raises a potential ambiguity issue. Second, “local artisans” is actually a possessive noun here, and in general on the GMAT, it’s not ideal to have a non-possessive pronoun (“they”) refer back to a possessive noun (artisans’).

If you need a refresher on pronouns, feel free to check out this YouTube webinar. To be fair, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule, so you could keep (A) if you really wanted to be conservative. But in this case, I think we can agree that the pronouns are legitimately confusing, or at least we can agree that there are better options below.

And if that isn’t enough for you, there’s arguably a little parallelism issue in (A): “…the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated…” I’m not 100% certain that it’s WRONG, exactly: I guess it’s OK to say that “the local artisans’ creative energy was expended… when they constructed and decorated the temples…” But technically speaking, “for the creation” is a prepositional phrase, and “when they constructed” is not.

If you’re not convinced by that last paragraph, no worries: the pronoun thing is probably enough to allow us to get rid of (A), particularly since we’ll have better options in a moment.

Quote:
(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

This one seems much better! The pronoun “they” logically need to refer to “Buddha images”, and there’s no real reason to worry about ambiguity here: “Buddha images” is really the only plausible plural referent, since “local artisans’” is possessive, and “temples” isn’t really an option, since “they” couldn’t plausibly refer back to temples in the phrase “temples in which they were enshrined.”

The parallelism is also much better here: “much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration…” Yup, that’s parallel.

So we can keep (B).

Quote:
(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(C) isn’t all that different from (B), but it does warp the parallelism a little bit. Let’s put the key part of the sentence side-by-side so we can see the differences:

(B) “much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration…”
    (C)“much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration…”

(C) isn’t totally awful, but I see absolutely no reason to use “as well as” here, when a nice, simple “and” does the trick. Plus, (B) is parallel throughout: the artisans’ energy was expended on the creation, construction, and decoration. That’s nice. In (C), it gets wonky: we have “on the creation”, but then “constructing and decoration.” That’s less nice.

Again, I wouldn’t argue that (C) is WRONG, exactly. But it’s clearly inferior to (B), so we can eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them

This is a confusing mess. Basically, we can’t make any sense of the parallelism: “and” is followed by “constructing and decorating”, but I can’t figure out what “constructing and decorating” is parallel to. “Creating” is structurally similar, but if we’re trying to make “creating” parallel to “constructing and decorating”, then why aren’t all of them at the beginning of the sentence?

Plus, we could argue that “them” is more confusing than in (B). “Them” logically refers back to “images of Buddha”, which is waaaaay back in the beginning of the sentence in (D). The antecedent is much closer to the pronoun in (B). Again, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, and I wouldn’t necessarily argue that (D) is WRONG solely because of the pronoun – but the pronoun gives us another small reason to prefer (B) over (D).

Quote:
(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

We can make the same argument about the pronoun “them” in (E) as we did in (D): it isn’t WRONG for “them” to reach all the way back to “Buddha images”, but it isn’t ideal, either.

More importantly, the meaning of the sentence is warped by the phrase “as well as construction and decoration.” It sounds like the sentence is trying to say that “the creating of Buddha images” accounted for several things: “the local artisans’ creative energy” and also “the construction and decoration of the temples.” And that doesn’t make sense: the creating of Buddha images didn’t “account for the construction and decoration of temples.”

Plus, I suppose you could also argue that “the creating of Buddha images” is a not-so-ideal use of a gerund. There’s no need to use the gerund “creating” when the noun “creation” is available to us. Again, I don’t think that “the creating of Buddha images” is WRONG, exactly, but it’s one more small reason to feel good about eliminating (E).

So (B) is our answer.

Hi Charles Sir,

I have a question regarding the option C. As much as the idiomatic construction of "as well as" is incorrect, I have confusion whether the term "creating" is actually a simple or complex gerund. Because if it is a simple gerund (overlooking the faraway "of"), then it certainly cannot be parallel with the two action nouns: construction and decoration. But, if it is a complex gerund (considering the "of" to be common with "decoration"), then it certainly is very much parallel with the action nouns. So, if we ignore the "as well as" part, can the discussed reason be the "sole" criteria for eliminating an answer choice? (If at all the word "creating" is a complex gerund). Even though complex gerunds can be parallel to the action nouns, is it preferable to convert all terms into action nouns?

Please help, thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was [#permalink]
Expert Reply
urvashis09 wrote:

I have a question regarding the option C. As much as the idiomatic construction of "as well as" is incorrect, I have confusion whether the term "creating" is actually a simple or complex gerund. Because if it is a simple gerund (overlooking the faraway "of"), then it certainly cannot be parallel with the two action nouns: construction and decoration. But, if it is a complex gerund (considering the "of" to be common with "decoration"), then it certainly is very much parallel with the action nouns. So, if we ignore the "as well as" part, can the discussed reason be the "sole" criteria for eliminating an answer choice? (If at all the word "creating" is a complex gerund). Even though complex gerunds can be parallel to the action nouns, is it preferable to convert all terms into action nouns?

I'll be honest: in the (*cough*) ridiculous number of years since I first started teaching/taking the GMAT, I've never given a moment's thought to the difference between simple and complex gerunds. I just can't see any reason why we would use a gerund (any gerund!) in the phrase "the creating of", when it would be much more elegant to say "the creation of." Why use a kooky gerund phrase when a nice, normal noun is available to us?

In general, I get nervous whenever we try to turn a very fine nuance of grammar into a hard-and-fast GMAT rule. Most things that we sometimes describe as GMAT "rules" (pronoun ambiguity, for example, or the modifier "touch rule") end up having exceptions. And since the GMAT has never published an authoritative, comprehensive list of SC rules, we have to wonder which things can even be reasonably described as "rules" in the first place.

And yes: that's totally maddening.

I agree that if two actions are parallel, it would generally be PREFERABLE to use two action nouns, instead of a gerund and an action noun. But the GMAT avoided making that the SOLE issue in this question, interestingly. And it wouldn't shock me to see a correct answer that includes an action noun that's parallel to a gerund, even though I can't think of any cases of it.

Bottom line: your thinking seems correct to me, but just be careful not to get TOO mechanical with "rules" that might not actually be real RULES. This particular question is typical of the GMAT: there are two issues that make (B) better than (C). So even if you're not 100% certain about either issue individually, the correct answer is pretty unambiguous.

I know that wasn't the most satisfying answer ever, but I hope that it helps, anyway!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

The biggest issue in (A) is the mess of pronouns toward the end of the sentence. That first “they” logically needs to refer to “local artisans”, but that raises two problems. First, “Buddha images” is the closest plural noun, so that raises a potential ambiguity issue. Second, “local artisans” is actually a possessive noun here, and in general on the GMAT, it’s not ideal to have a non-possessive pronoun (“they”) refer back to a possessive noun (artisans’).

If you need a refresher on pronouns, feel free to check out this YouTube webinar. To be fair, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule, so you could keep (A) if you really wanted to be conservative. But in this case, I think we can agree that the pronouns are legitimately confusing, or at least we can agree that there are better options below.

And if that isn’t enough for you, there’s arguably a little parallelism issue in (A): “…the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated…” I’m not 100% certain that it’s WRONG, exactly: I guess it’s OK to say that “the local artisans’ creative energy was expended… when they constructed and decorated the temples…” But technically speaking, “for the creation” is a prepositional phrase, and “when they constructed” is not.

If you’re not convinced by that last paragraph, no worries: the pronoun thing is probably enough to allow us to get rid of (A), particularly since we’ll have better options in a moment.

Quote:
(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

This one seems much better! The pronoun “they” logically need to refer to “Buddha images”, and there’s no real reason to worry about ambiguity here: “Buddha images” is really the only plausible plural referent, since “local artisans’” is possessive, and “temples” isn’t really an option, since “they” couldn’t plausibly refer back to temples in the phrase “temples in which they were enshrined.”

The parallelism is also much better here: “much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration…” Yup, that’s parallel.

So we can keep (B).

Quote:
(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(C) isn’t all that different from (B), but it does warp the parallelism a little bit. Let’s put the key part of the sentence side-by-side so we can see the differences:

(B) “much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration…”
    (C)“much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration…”

(C) isn’t totally awful, but I see absolutely no reason to use “as well as” here, when a nice, simple “and” does the trick. Plus, (B) is parallel throughout: the artisans’ energy was expended on the creation, construction, and decoration. That’s nice. In (C), it gets wonky: we have “on the creation”, but then “constructing and decoration.” That’s less nice.

Again, I wouldn’t argue that (C) is WRONG, exactly. But it’s clearly inferior to (B), so we can eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them

This is a confusing mess. Basically, we can’t make any sense of the parallelism: “and” is followed by “constructing and decorating”, but I can’t figure out what “constructing and decorating” is parallel to. “Creating” is structurally similar, but if we’re trying to make “creating” parallel to “constructing and decorating”, then why aren’t all of them at the beginning of the sentence?

Plus, we could argue that “them” is more confusing than in (B). “Them” logically refers back to “images of Buddha”, which is waaaaay back in the beginning of the sentence in (D). The antecedent is much closer to the pronoun in (B). Again, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, and I wouldn’t necessarily argue that (D) is WRONG solely because of the pronoun – but the pronoun gives us another small reason to prefer (B) over (D).

Quote:
(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

We can make the same argument about the pronoun “them” in (E) as we did in (D): it isn’t WRONG for “them” to reach all the way back to “Buddha images”, but it isn’t ideal, either.

More importantly, the meaning of the sentence is warped by the phrase “as well as construction and decoration.” It sounds like the sentence is trying to say that “the creating of Buddha images” accounted for several things: “the local artisans’ creative energy” and also “the construction and decoration of the temples.” And that doesn’t make sense: the creating of Buddha images didn’t “account for the construction and decoration of temples.”

Plus, I suppose you could also argue that “the creating of Buddha images” is a not-so-ideal use of a gerund. There’s no need to use the gerund “creating” when the noun “creation” is available to us. Again, I don’t think that “the creating of Buddha images” is WRONG, exactly, but it’s one more small reason to feel good about eliminating (E).

So (B) is our answer.

Himikemcgarry,
I just needed your advice on pronoun error in this question .
MGMAT, Says
Rule: Every it and Its must refer to same singular antecedent. Every " they,them,and their " must refer to same plural antecedent.

On that grounds ( though not deterministic error ) i suspected that "they" must logically refer to artisans and "them" must logically refer to Images, hence by using "they and them "both are referring to different plural antecedents, we are inviting trouble.

So does the rule apply here. Also what are the exception of this rule.

Probus
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [2]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

This looks like a great example of one of the tougher questions you might see on the GMAT! Let's start by taking a quick look at the options, and highlight the major differences we can focus on to start:

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

After a quick glance over the options, we have a few things we can focus on:

1. expended for / expended on / accounted for (idioms & meaning)
2. and / as well as
3. how each ends (possible issues with parallelism & intended meaning)

Let's start with #1, which focuses on choosing the right verb for the job! We have two verb options here, and we need to choose the correct one to convey the intended meaning. The verbs "expended" and "accounted for" mean slightly different things here:

the artisans' energy was expended on/for creating Buddha images = artisans used up a lot of creative energy to create these pieces of art
creating Buddha images accounted for the artisans' energy = artisans got their creative energy by making artwork about Buddha

For this sentence, it makes more sense to say that the artists used up their creative energy by creating so many pieces of Buddha imagery. It doesn't make logical sense to say that artists gained even more creative energy by creating tons of artwork - that's not really how creative energy works. Therefore, we can rule out options D & E because the verb "accounted for" changes the intended meaning.

Now, let's look at the other part of #1: expended for vs. expended on. It is not idiomatically correct to say that people "expend energy for" a task. It IS correct to say that people "expend energy on" a task! Let's see how each option handles this:

We can also rule out option A because "expended for" isn't idiomatically correct.

Now that we're left with only 2 options, let's take a closer look at parallelism. Remember that when we talk about a list of 2+ items, they both should be written using parallel wording, verb tense, structure, etc. Let's see how each option handles this:

This is CORRECT! The phrases "on the creation of Buddha images" and "on construction and decoration of the temples" are written using parallel structure and wording!

This is INCORRECT because the items are not worded using parallelism! The three actions (creation / constructing / decoration) aren't worded the same. We also don't like using "as well as" in place of the much less wordy "and" here. Remember - the GMAT prefers concise language whenever possible, so why use 3 words when 1 will do?

There you have it - option B is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
It's the question all about parallel construction which you can find in option B

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
+1 for B

much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined- maintains parallel structure between creations and construction and expended on is idiomatic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
I have a doubt related to the verb-ed form of expended.
Question: How "was expended" is used in this sentence?
If this sentence is in the passive voice and expended is past participle, how come person responsible for doing the actions is before "was expended"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
shobhitd wrote:
I have a doubt related to the verb-ed form of expended.
Question: How "was expended" is used in this sentence?
If this sentence is in the passive voice and expended is past participle, how come person responsible for doing the actions is before "was expended"?
Hi shobhitd,

Was expended is a passive verb. The "people" in the sentence are connected to creative energy, not the verb.

much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended

Local artisans' is an adjective for creative energy. The subject of was expended is much (of something).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I expend money on gmat for my future. we can use "on" and "for " with "expend" but their meaning are different.

so, "expend for" is wrong in choice A. "expend on" is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
nakib77 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 172: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-03-20 074036.jpg

IMO B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
nakib77 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 172: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-03-20 074036.jpg

(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun 2) Parallelism

(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - Correct

(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - Wrong: 1) 2 Parallelism issues

(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them - Wrong: 1) Meaning 2) Redundant

(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them - Wrong: 1) 2 Meaning issues
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Kudos

The and construction requires parallelism, “for the creation of Buddha images” and “when they” is not parallel.
Also, the structure is awkward.
What is they referring to ? Buddha Images ; Remember they can’t refer back to local artisans’ as it is a possessive pronoun.

(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined.
Parallelism is there.
Best of All.

Parallelism Marker is X as well as Y.
Here X = on the creation of Buddha images ; Y = constructing…
Incorrect parallelism.

(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them.
Use of And also in unidiomatic.
Correct Idiom – Not only X but also Y.

Parallelism Marker is X as well as Y.
Here X = creative energy; Y = construction
Incorrect parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: ISB '23 (WL)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them - incorrect usage of for

(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - CORRECT PARALLELISM

(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - not parallel

(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them - too wordy

(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them - creation of is better
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
urvashis09 wrote:

I'll be honest: in the (*cough*) ridiculous number of years since I first started teaching/taking the GMAT, I've never given a moment's thought to the difference between simple and complex gerunds. I just can't see any reason why we would use a gerund (any gerund!) in the phrase "the creating of", when it would be much more elegant to say "the creation of." Why use a kooky gerund phrase when a nice, normal noun is available to us?

In general, I get nervous whenever we try to turn a very fine nuance of grammar into a hard-and-fast GMAT rule. Most things that we sometimes describe as GMAT "rules" (pronoun ambiguity, for example, or the modifier "touch rule") end up having exceptions. And since the GMAT has never published an authoritative, comprehensive list of SC rules, we have to wonder which things can even be reasonably described as "rules" in the first place.

And yes: that's totally maddening.

I agree that if two actions are parallel, it would generally be PREFERABLE to use two action nouns, instead of a gerund and an action noun. But the GMAT avoided making that the SOLE issue in this question, interestingly. And it wouldn't shock me to see a correct answer that includes an action noun that's parallel to a gerund, even though I can't think of any cases of it.

Bottom line: your thinking seems correct to me, but just be careful not to get TOO mechanical with "rules" that might not actually be real RULES. This particular question is typical of the GMAT: there are two issues that make (B) better than (C). So even if you're not 100% certain about either issue individually, the correct answer is pretty unambiguous.

I know that wasn't the most satisfying answer ever, but I hope that it helps, anyway!

GMATNinja

A quick point regarding gerunds

Simple gerunds take objects directly (without "of"): (as in option D) creating images of Buddha
Complex gerunds take objects with a preposition and often preceded by articles or adjectives: (as in option E) the creating of Buddha images

Further, complex gerund phrases are preferred over simple gerund phrases to be parallel to action nouns. However, if an action noun exists, then we avoid using gerund form.

For example

The developing of the city (inferior construction)
The development of the city (superior construction, preferred)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
[quote="nakib77"]In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

This question is based on Parallelism, Pronoun Usage, and Sentence Structure.

In Option A, there is a lack of parallelism because ‘constructed’ and ‘decorated’ are in the verb form rather than the noun forms that are required in the sentence. They should be parallel to “the creation”, which is in the noun form, because these are the three things that the artisan’s energy was spent on according to the sentence.
The pronoun ‘they’ is ambiguous because it should refer to ‘local artisans’. But the phrase in the sentence is "local artisans' energy", which is a possessive pronoun. The pronoun 'them' at the end of the underlined portion is also ambiguous.
It also contains an idiomatic usage error – expended for. So, Option A can be eliminated.

In Option C also, there is a lack of parallelism even though the conjunction has been changed unnecessarily to ‘as well as’. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Option E also has a lack of parallelism. The phrase 'accounted for' in this option also changes the meaning of the sentence. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

If we compare the structure of Options B and D, we see that B is clearer. Option D can also be eliminated as it contains the phrase ‘accounted for’, which means ‘explained’. This phrase changes the meaning of the sentence.

B conveys the intended meaning that a lot of the artisans’ energy was spent on the creation of Buddha images, and on the construction and decoration of the temples that the images were enshrined in. Option B also corrects the idiomatic error in Option A. The correct usage is ‘expended on’, not ‘expended for’. The pronoun in B also clearly refers to the Buddha images.

Therefore, B is the best option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Hi ,

I kindly request some one to guide me over this query .

Please

(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images

much of the local artisans' creative energy -- isn't much of local artisans is already possessive, and the apostrophe+s is making it redundant.

I have drawn this reference from the following question were a similar concept is followed can some one kindly guide me please

https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-the-civil-war-contemporaries-of-harriet-tubmans-maintained-that-54885.html

mikemcgarry
sayantanc2k
EMPOWERgmatVerbal
AjiteshArun
dabaobao
CrackVerbalGMAT
AjiteshArun GMATNinja MagooshExpert GMATGuruNY VeritasPrepBrian MartyTargetTestPrep DmitryFarber VeritasKarishma generis @jennpt Skywalker18 VeritasPrepErika abhimahna
daagh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
suganyam wrote:
much of the local artisans' creative energy -- isn't much of local artisans is already possessive, and the apostrophe+s is making it redundant.

Hi suganyam,

That structure is much of + [noun]. All we need to do is make sure that the [noun] makes sense.

1. much of + your energy
This cannot be much of + energy, for example. That is, adding a your (or his/her/their...) is perfectly fine.

2. much of + their energy
is the same as

3. much of the local artisans' creative energy
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts