It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 480 [5], given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2005, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them

(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

Last edited by hazelnut on 19 Oct 2017, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 480 [5], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 13:50
EBITDA wrote:
Note, however, that option B is not perfectly parallel. It lacks a "the" between "on" and "construction and decoration". Hence, there could have been even a better option.

B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined.

Could someone please explain the reason/s why I should discard option D?

Thank you.

2 reasons:

1. "And" and "also" are redundant.
2. "constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them" is a subject without any verb.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 12:55
SPLI1) PARALLELISM: "EXPENDED ON" VS "EXPENDED FOR" THE CORRECT PARALLELISM IS "EXPENDED ON". A IS OUT.

SPLIT2) PARALLELISM + WORD: "EXPENDED ON CREATION…AND ON CONSTRUCTION AND DECORATION" IS THE CORRECT PARALLELISM, SEE THE WORDS ARE IN PARALLEL = CREATION + CONSTRUCTION + DECORATION. A, C.D, AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) ABOUT THE WORD "THEY" IN OPTION B. I AM ALSO NOT CLEAR ON HOW "THEY" REFERS BACK TO IMAGES. BUT AFTER READING SOME COMMENTS ON THIS, I THINK THAT "THEY" IS CORRECT BECAUSE LOGICALLY IMAGES GET ENSHRINED. ALSO, B IS NOT IDEAL BUT AMONG THE OPTIONS GIVEN, IS THE BEST OPTION.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 210

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 06:06
sayantanc2k wrote:
EBITDA wrote:
Note, however, that option B is not perfectly parallel. It lacks a "the" between "on" and "construction and decoration". Hence, there could have been even a better option.

B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined.

Could someone please explain the reason/s why I should discard option D?

Thank you.

2 reasons:

1. "And" and "also" are redundant.
2. "constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them" is a subject without any verb.

Can you please explain the use of 'in which' in the sentence?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 210

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 10:45
metaphola wrote:
EBITDA wrote:

Can you please explain the use of 'in which' in the sentence?

Dear metaphola,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With all due respect, my friend, you have asked an unclear question. From your question, I have absolutely no idea of what kind of help you need.

I will say that "which" is a relative pronoun, and the job of a relative pronoun is to open a kind of subordinate clause known as a relative clause. A relative pronoun always plays a grammatical role in its relative clause, and may be the subject of the clause, the direct object, or the object of a preposition, as it is here.

That's the high level overview explanation. I don't know whether you know all this already and need explanation of something else, or whether you need more detailed explanation of this.

It's perfectly fine if there are topics in grammar that you don't understand, and it's perfectly fine that you ask experts on GMAT Club about what you don't understand. We experts love to answer questions and explain things to folks who want to know! :-) The problem, though, is that an ambiguous or unclear question, a super-brief question lacking in all details, is a poor question. It's a question that probably didn't take you a lot of effort to write, and it gives me almost no information about what you need. It's a question that doesn't do its basic job. You see, one of the habits of excellence is the habit of asking excellent questions. See this blog:
Asking Excellent Questions
I'm going to challenge you to write an excellent question: tell me exactly what you do understand, exactly what confuses you, what you think the structure means in that sentence, what you don't understand about its use, etc. Give me as much detail as possible. That would be an excellent question. One advantage of writing such a question is that it makes it much easier for me or another expert to give you the specific help that you need. Something that many students fail to appreciate, though, is that when you are reflecting on your own understanding and putting all this into words, you actually are establishing important connections in your brain, and all the effort you put into writing an excellent question actually primes your brain for deeper learning. You ask an excellent question, not primarily for my benefit, but for your benefit.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.45
WE: Real Estate (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 20:50
In the correct answer (B), how is the antecedent of "they" artisan's? Artisan's is acting as an adverbial modifier for "Creative Energy." How is this correct?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2017, 01:16
"They" should have only one antecedent. Correct answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Healthcare, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 04:58
nakib77 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

B it was for me too... due to the parallel construction expended on the creation ..... and on construction and decoration...

but I got struck by another entry point which left me in dilemma.. "in which they were enshrined".. isn't "they" ambiguous here?? Buddha images or artisans???

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 09:03
nakib77 wrote:

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

A "Expended for" is not idiomatic.
B Correct.
C "Constructing and decorating" are not parallel with "creation."
D The independent clause after "and also" is a fragment. "And also" is redundant.
E The second half of the sentence after "as well as" is a fragment because the first sentence is a self-contained unit: "the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy." But here it illogically implies that the "construction and decoration" does not "account for much of the local artisans' energy."

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 234

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 02:59
Hi mikemcgarry GMATNinja / Experts

Can you help me with below query:
Why do we need two ANDs in OA- B. Does below sentence make sense:
In ancient Thailand,
much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended
on the creation of Buddha images ,
on construction and
decoration of the temples in
which they were enshrined
OR
In ancient Thailand,
construction and
let me know if replacing AND coma makes more sense since only last element need to
be connected using AND in parallel list.
WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 234

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [1], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry GMATNinja / Experts

Can you help me with below query:
Why do we need two ANDs in OA- B. Does below sentence make sense:
In ancient Thailand,
on construction and
OR
In ancient Thailand,
construction and
let me know if replacing AND coma makes more sense since only last element need to
be connected using AND in parallel list.
WR,
Arpit

Dear Arpit adkikani,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, the short answer is no. Neither of your versions is good: we really need what the SC question OA had.

You see, the word "and" appears twice because we have nested parallelism, that is to say, one parallel structure nested inside another. The GMAT absolutely loves to nest structures inside each other.

Parallel structure #1:
much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on V and on W
V = the creation of Buddha images
W = parallel structure #2

Parallel structure #2:
on Y and Z of the temples in which they were enshrined
Y = construction
Z = decoration

This is NOT a list of three parallel elements. It is something very different. There is parallelism at two different levels. The first "and" is for Parallel structure #1, and the second is for Parallel structure #2.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8768 [1], given: 105

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 04:04
I will go with B

Maintains Parallelism

Creation
Construction &
Decoration

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 195

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 04:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 151 posts ] 

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap