Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [180]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [72]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [10]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
nakib77 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

(A) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

(B) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(C) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them

(E) the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 172: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-03-20 074036.jpg

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that in ancient Thailand local artisans' expended much of their creative energy on the creation of Buddha images and on the construction and decoration of the temples in which the statues were enshrined.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Pronouns + Parallelism

• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• Present participles ("verb+ing" – “enshrining” in this sentence) are used to modify nouns, refer to ongoing events in any time period, and (when preceded by a comma) express cause-effect relationships.

A: THis answer choice incorrectly uses "they" to refer to the "artisans" and uses "them" to refer to "images"; please remember, a pronoun and its derivatives can only be used to refer to one noun in a sentence. Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between "for the creation of Buddha images" and "when they constructed and decorated the temples"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the clause "much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended...on construction and decoration of the temples", conveying the intended meaning - that local artisans' expended much of their creative energy on the creation of Buddha images and on the construction and decoration of the temples in which the statues were enshrined. Further, Option B maintains parallelism between "the creation of Buddha images" and "on construction and decoration of the temples" and between "construction" and "decoration". Additionally, Option B correctly uses the simple past tense verb "enshrined" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Besides, Option B avoids the pronoun error seen in Option A, as it only uses "they" to refer to "images"

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "on the creation of Buddha images" and "constructing and decoration of the temples" and fails to maintain parallelism between "constructing" and "decoration"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "creating images of Buddha accounted for...constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them"; the construction of this clause illogically implies that creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also accounted for constructing and decorating the temples that enshrined them; the intended meaning is that local artisans' expended much of their creative energy on the creation of Buddha images and on the construction and decoration of the temples in which the statues were enshrined. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "enshrining" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and present participles ("verb+ing" – “enshrining” in this sentence) are used to modify nouns, refer to ongoing events in any time period, and (when preceded by a comma) express cause-effect relationships.

E:This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "the creating of Buddha images accounted for...construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them"; the construction of this clause illogically implies that creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also accounted for constructing and decorating the temples that enshrined them; the intended meaning is that local artisans' expended much of their creative energy on the creation of Buddha images and on the construction and decoration of the temples in which the statues were enshrined.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was [#permalink]
Kudos
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy [color=darkblue]was expended on the creation[/color] of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

:yell ~~it has to be B~~~

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined should be construction

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them is this parallel? Obviously not

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them that part doesn't fit
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sbsharma wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

A simple approach to help you answer this question in <20 seconds is to recognize awkwardness with "expended for" and look for other answer choices with other options. I highlighted the important parts above.

Scanning down, I see (B) and (C) have "expended on"--which is what we want so I examine these two further.

In (C), "as well as" is a keyword so I look to the left and to the right.
On the left, "the creation of" is inconsistent with "constructing and decoration of."

Did (B) have this issue?
In (B), the keyword is "and."
On the left we have "the creation of"---which is consistent with "construction and decoration of"

So based on just these clues, I am already inclined to say (B).

After quickly browsing the other answer choices, I was able to conclude with (B).

Notice how I didn't read most of the question and most of the answer choices--just focused on important parts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

a) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them : expended of Buddha is unidiomatic; expended on is the correct idiom.

b) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - maintains //ism on all necessary counters and hence is the correct answer.

The basic tenet of //ism in two-part clauses is that, both the arms should be // in from and function. C, D, and E fail to do that precisely

c) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined : ‘On the creation of’ should be matched by ‘on constructing of’ ( a gerund) and ‘on decoration of’

d) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them: ‘creating images of’ should be matched by ‘constructing of and decorating of; ‘accounted for’ should be matched by and ‘also for constructing and decorating’

e) the creation of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them: ‘creation of’ should be matched by ‘construction of’; in addition, E changes the meaning that the creation of Buddha images accounted for both the creative energy and (the construction and decoration); also ‘accounted for’ should be matched by ‘as well as for’

Logically, what can ‘they’ refer to in B and C? Can ‘they’ refer to artisans? Can the artists or for that matter can the the construction and decorations be enshrined in a temple?

I think the pronoun reference of ‘they’ is not an issue here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 662 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
That is an awesome post Thank You So Much!!. The one thing I do not get is the use of "in which they are enshrined". Is this grammatically correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, the phrase "in which they are enshrined" is 100% grammatically correct. This is a properly constructed subordinate clause. Subordinate clauses (a.k.a dependent clause) are a HUGE topic on GMAT --- I would suggest consulting whatever review materials you are using.

Very briefly, if this clause were a stand-by-itself independent clause, it would be "they are enshrined in the temples."

Now, consider the ending of the last big sentence, with this piece as a separate sentence.

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples. They [the Buddha images] are enshrined in the temples.

That's very wordy, which is why folks use subordinate clauses. The rule is:
(a) find the word that will be the anchor, the referent, in the big sentence. Here, that word is "temples."
(b) replace that word in the smaller second sentence with "which": "They were enshrined in which."
(c) Now put the "which" and anything attached to it (here, the preposition "in") at the very beginning of the clause, so it's right next to the anchor word in the original sentence:

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined.

Does that make sense? Again, if you are unfamiliar with the the idea of a subordinate or dependent clause in a sentence, then I strongly recommend carefully reading any GMAT review materials you have on the subject.

Here's a similar GMAT SC practice question, just for more practice.

https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1126

The question on at this link should be followed by a video explanation of the answer.

I hope that helps.

Mike :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mike’s explanation is damn good. However, if you are in a rapid fire round in the Test, then perhaps the following short work strategy might be handy

This is essentially a test of //ism, and then perhaps style; but I am not sure about the idiom part of ‘expend for’ or ‘expend on’ as according to the freedictionaty.com ‘expend for’, ‘expend on’ and ‘expend in’ are all usable (https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/expend)

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them – wrong because of the un//ism of “creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated”

B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined – ‘expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of’ ---Correct //ism

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration--- wrong //ism

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them—wrong becos ‘and also’ is redundant; additionally the meaning is changed in that creating images accounted for 1. The creative energy 2. constructing and 3. decorating

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them--- wrong because of altered intent as in D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I have chosen B as the answer:

A. This answer choice breaks the parallelism requirement. Also, what is the purpose of "when" as a relative pronoun here? It doesn't seem to refer to any time or date.

The answer should be along the lines of:

energy was expended on:
-the creation
-the construction
-the decoration

B. This sentence clearly describes the 3 elements that artisan's spend energy on.

C. Again, this answer choice breaks the parallelism requirement. The word "constructing" is wrong here.

D. We want 3 elements that describe what the artisan's spent their energy on. In this case, it splits the "image creation" from the other 2 elements: "constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them." Also, I noticed that after the comma and coordinating conjunction, and, the words do not form an independent clause. This is incorrect because 2 independent clauses should sandwich a comma and a coordinating conjunction. As a result, this sentence is also a fragment.

E. Although I could not find any grammatical errors with this one, the meaning was very confusing. It sounds like "the creation...accounted for...creative energy...as well as construction and decoration." This did not make sense to me at all, so I felt this answer was incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

Original sentence: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

First of all, notice the idiom with the verb "to expend." When I expend my energies, with the intended result of giving my energy to X, we say that "I expend my energies on X", not "I expend my energies for X." That eliminates answer choice A.

Notice also, what the original sentence is trying to do is construct a valid parallel structure. The "local artisan's creative energy" went to two places: (a) "creation of Buddha images", and (b) the work they did constructing & decorating temples. The correct sentence should have a valid parallel structure between those two elements. This is another flaw of answer (A) --- "the creation" vs. "they constructed and decorated". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (C) repeats that problem: "the creation" vs. "constructing and decorating". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (E) repeats that problem: "the creating" vs. "construction and decoration". Not parallel. :-(

That narrows the choice down to (B) vs. (D).

Notice that (D) is very wordy; it has an indirect inactive structure (from "artisans expended energy on X", active, to "X accounted for artisans energy", passive and weak). :-(

(B) gets the idiom ("expended on") correct; it gets the parallel structure correct; and it's a direct & active formulation of the information. Yeah! This is our best choice. :)

Does that made sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike,
Can you explain Choice E ? I thought' for much of'and 'construction and decoration of' are parallel.:( ..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
farukqmul wrote:
Mike,
Can you explain Choice E ? I thought 'for much of' and 'construction and decoration of' are parallel.:( ..

Here's the original prompt with choice (E)
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

Let's plug in choice (E) and look at the sentence:
In ancient Thailand, the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Superficially, the terms "creative energy" and "construction and decoration" are all nouns, so they could be grammatically parallel. The problem is: they are not logically parallel.

Consider the overall structure:

X accounted for Y as well as Z

means

X accounted for Y
and, separately, X accounted for Z

Consider that here:
the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy
and, separately,
the creating of Buddha images accounted for the construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

That's not the meaning the original sentence is trying to express. What is it trying to say is that ----
the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy
and, separately,
the construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy

We are trying to create a parallelism between the three types of work, each of which occupied the creative energy of the artisans. Those three types of work were
(a) the creating of Buddha images
(b) the construction of the temples
(c) the decoration of the temples

Logically, those three need to be in parallel, and they are not in (E). It's not enough to have superficial grammatical parallelism if that parallelism does not reflect the deeper logic of the situation. Grammar and logic must always point to the same conclusions.

You may find this blog germane:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... n-english/

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

Original sentence: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

First of all, notice the idiom with the verb "to expend." When I expend my energies, with the intended result of giving my energy to X, we say that "I expend my energies on X", not "I expend my energies for X." That eliminates answer choice A.

Notice also, what the original sentence is trying to do is construct a valid parallel structure. The "local artisan's creative energy" went to two places: (a) "creation of Buddha images", and (b) the work they did constructing & decorating temples. The correct sentence should have a valid parallel structure between those two elements. This is another flaw of answer (A) --- "the creation" vs. "they constructed and decorated". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (C) repeats that problem: "the creation" vs. "constructing and decorating". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (E) repeats that problem: "the creating" vs. "construction and decoration". Not parallel. :-(

That narrows the choice down to (B) vs. (D).

Notice that (D) is very wordy; it has an indirect inactive structure (from "artisans expended energy on X", active, to "X accounted for artisans energy", passive and weak). :-(

(B) gets the idiom ("expended on") correct; it gets the parallel structure correct; and it's a direct & active formulation of the information. Yeah! This is our best choice. :)

Does that made sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

hey Mike,,

Can we eliminate A on the ground of "when" ?
D and E for the verb-ING modifier at the beginning which has no subject and then choose between B and C?

i also did not understand the ll structure that you have refered ..Could you please explain that again
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos