It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 569 [1], given: 2

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2008, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:59) correct 32% (01:19) wrong based on 550 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as an active process that may be largely completed before age three.

A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is
E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Skywalker18 on 22 Nov 2017, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
formatted

Kudos [?]: 569 [1], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2008, 12:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
the subject here is the acquistion of skills...since its singular..indicating modifies findings (adverb)..only D gets it correct

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:48
mymba99 wrote:
In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific
conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and
emotional skills as
an active process that may be largely completed before age three.
A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills,
that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is
E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as

D but not confident

A has a Subj agreement error
B child acquiring language is wrong ('s)
C to indicate - meaning, conference was not hosted to indicate
D could be correct, but parallelism of hild acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills might be wrong
E indicative of doesnt sound right to me, any explanation could help

D is obv the best of the answer choices available, somethign that GMAT stresses, but IMO D has parallelism errors (gerund - nouns etc)

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 16

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1501 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2010, 08:52
noboru wrote:
whats wrong with E?
thanks

Nobody is going to explain this?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2010, 09:13
Hillary Clinton...hosted a conference on...findings indicating that a child’s acquisition ............ is an active process that may be completed before age three.

Hillary Clinton...hosted a conference on...findings indicative of a child’s acquisition of X, Y and Z as an active process that may be completed before age three. --> this is wrong because we need 'that' with an essential clause. The conference is about some findings and what did those findings indicate. (The findings indicated that.....)

Hence E is wrong. I dont know if this makes sense.

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as an active process that may be largely completed before age three.

C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills,
that it is

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

VP
VP

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2011, 03:58
I would appreciate more explanation on this one.
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [6], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2011, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I did some research on this particular problem and found the light on the MGMAT guide.

On their IDIOM list they listed this form as WRONG: A report INDICATES unique bacteria AS present on our skin... and that GMAT prefers... A report INDICATES THAT unique bacteria LIVE on our skin

Knowing that we can easily eliminate A,B,E with the INDICATES/INDICATIVE OF... AS form
Also, "IS INDICATIVE OF" form is SUSPECT for GMAT test writers. If possible, it must be avoided.

We are now left with C and D.

C is wrong because it changes the intent of the author. It sounds like Hillary Rodman hosted the conference on new finding to indicate... But we are just looking for something that modifies or explain something about the new findings.

Answer by elimination is D.

mymba99 wrote:
In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific
conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and
emotional skills as
an active process that may be largely completed before age three.
that it is

Kudos [?]: 58 [6], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2011, 11:57
not so easy ;) but D :)

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 09:10
indicate smt as smt is idiomatically wrong , also subject-verb agreement , therefore D .

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 17:23
D for me as well...

From the question stem it is clear that "an active process " has to be defined by one of the answer choices.

As per sentence D- "a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills", brings out an object acquisition to perfectly fit to complete the rest of the sentence as written in the question.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2012, 06:36
The correct answer is D as it correctly maintains the subject verb agreement which the question is testing.

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 15:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED

C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is

I think I am still a little bit confused about the using of the present participles :cry:

On this example, I eliminated D because I think the "indicating"can't function as a verb by itself. If it is used as a modifier to modify the whole first sentence, a "," will be needed before the "indicating".

Can someone help me, please? :(

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8780 [4], given: 106

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tingting85114 wrote:

On this example, I eliminated D because I think the "indicating"can't function as a verb by itself. If it is used as a modifier to modify the whole first sentence, a "," will be needed before the "indicating". Can someone help me, please? :(

Ting

I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, not every modifier is set off by a comma the rest of the sentence. In fact, this gets at the heart of the issue of vital vs. non-vital modifiers. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

The word "indicating" is not a verb --- it is a participle modifying "findings", and because it's a vital modifier, no comma is needed. BTW, here's a post on participial phrases:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/

BTW, notice on the GMAT's favorite SC patterns. In (A), "indicates" is a verb (although incorrectly singular), in (C) "to indicate", the infinitive, a verb form, appears, and in (D) "indicating" is a participle, that is, another verb form. By contrast, both (B) & (E) turn the verb into an adjective "indicative." The GMAT doesn't like that. The GMAT likes direct powerful language, and part of what this means is --- the action should be encapsulated in verbs. When you have a choice between action-as-verb vs. action-as-noun or -adjective, the former is almost always preferable to the latter.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8780 [4], given: 106

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 17:51
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation :)

If in (A ), "indicate" is the correct verb form, and the "skill" is followed by "is" not "as", is this sentence deemed correct?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8780 [3], given: 106

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 17:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tingting85114 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation :)

If in (A ), "indicate" is the correct verb form, and the "skill" is followed by "is" not "as", is this sentence deemed correct?

No, that's not the only problem with (A). There's also an issue of idiom ----

Incorrect idiom: to indicate A as B
Correct idiom: to indicate that A is B

The word "indicate" is idiomatically followed by a full "that" clause, not by an [object]"as"[object] construction.

Does that make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8780 [3], given: 106

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 18:09
Thanks Mike! The explanation is very useful :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 04:02
Hi Mike

Thanks for the explanation. Most high scoring GMAT test takers stand on the shoulders of giants and judging by your quality and level of participation I am sure you have offered your shoulders to many.

I have gone through all of the links you posted in your explanation. My understanding is :
1. The ing form as a modifier is not only acceptable but preferred to the noun forms. Can you think of any exceptions?
2. The ing form in this case should not (as opposed to need not) have a comma for it were to have a command and we were to remove the portion that comes after the comma the sentence would make no sense.
3. The correct idiom is indicate that x is y

Are my points 1 and 2 correct?

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 106

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 12:21
harkabir wrote:
Hi Mike
I have gone through all of the links you posted in your explanation. My understanding is :
1. The ing form as a modifier is not only acceptable but preferred to the noun forms. Can you think of any exceptions?
2. The ing form in this case should not (as opposed to need not) have a comma for it were to have a command and we were to remove the portion that comes after the comma the sentence would make no sense.

Dear harkabir,
Thank you for your kind words.

For your statement #1, I have absolutely no idea what context you intend. The noun form of what? in what context? Please be more clear.

I would totally disagree with your statement #2. The entire issue of whether or not there's a comma has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the specific modifier ("-ing" or something else) and everything to do with whether it's a vital noun modifier.

I drove to the city to bid farewell to my friend leaving for Germany.
No comma because the modifier "leaving for Germany" is a vital modifier --- it makes clear the identity of the "friend."

When I entered the house, I heard my mother, arguing on the phone with my sister.
Here we have a comma, because the the modifier "arguing on the phone with my sister" is not vital --- it is not needed to establish the identity of my mother.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 106

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 21:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
harkabir wrote:
Hi Mike

Dear harkabir,
Thank you for your kind words.

For your statement #1, I have absolutely no idea what context you intend. The noun form of what? in what context? Please be more clear.

I would totally disagree with your statement #2. The entire issue of whether or not there's a comma has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the specific modifier ("-ing" or something else) and everything to do with whether it's a vital noun modifier.

I drove to the city to bid farewell to my friend leaving for Germany.
No comma because the modifier "leaving for Germany" is a vital modifier --- it makes clear the identity of the "friend."

When I entered the house, I heard my mother, arguing on the phone with my sister.
Here we have a comma, because the the modifier "arguing on the phone with my sister" is not vital --- it is not needed to establish the identity of my mother.

Does this make sense?

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply :) In point 2 I meant that in Hillary Clinton example, one can not do without the comma. As regards the ing form vs the noun form I will come with some examples to illustrate my point.

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3555 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2013, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
noboru wrote:
noboru wrote:
whats wrong with E?
thanks

Nobody is going to explain this?
thanks

E is wrong because "indicative of X as Y" is not correct idiom. It should be "X indicative of Y". For example: behavior indicative of mental disorder.
Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3555 [2], given: 123

Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 01:08

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap