Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [91]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [38]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [24]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as

- Findings that indicates - Serious S- V mismatch; Don’t take the argument that -indicates - is the singular verb of conference; A conference never indicates, its discussions or findings do.

B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as

-Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is

-Findings to indicate -is awkward and unidiomatic –

D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is -best among the lot.

E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as

As in B, -Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

D therefore is the right choice
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as an active process that may be largely completed before age three.

A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is
E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as

I think I am still a little bit confused about the using of the present participles :cry:

On this example, I eliminated D because I think the "indicating"can't function as a verb by itself. If it is used as a modifier to modify the whole first sentence, a "," will be needed before the "indicating".

Can someone help me, please? :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation :)

If in (A ), "indicate" is the correct verb form, and the "skill" is followed by "is" not "as", is this sentence deemed correct?

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [9]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tingting85114 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation :)

If in (A ), "indicate" is the correct verb form, and the "skill" is followed by "is" not "as", is this sentence deemed correct?

No, that's not the only problem with (A). There's also an issue of idiom ----

Incorrect idiom: to indicate A as B
Correct idiom: to indicate that A is B

The word "indicate" is idiomatically followed by a full "that" clause, not by an [object]"as"[object] construction.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi Mike

Thanks for the explanation. Most high scoring GMAT test takers stand on the shoulders of giants and judging by your quality and level of participation I am sure you have offered your shoulders to many.

I have gone through all of the links you posted in your explanation. My understanding is :
1. The ing form as a modifier is not only acceptable but preferred to the noun forms. Can you think of any exceptions?
2. The ing form in this case should not (as opposed to need not) have a comma for it were to have a command and we were to remove the portion that comes after the comma the sentence would make no sense.
3. The correct idiom is indicate that x is y

Are my points 1 and 2 correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
harkabir wrote:
Hi Mike
I have gone through all of the links you posted in your explanation. My understanding is :
1. The ing form as a modifier is not only acceptable but preferred to the noun forms. Can you think of any exceptions?
2. The ing form in this case should not (as opposed to need not) have a comma for it were to have a command and we were to remove the portion that comes after the comma the sentence would make no sense.
Are my points 1 and 2 correct?

Dear harkabir,
Thank you for your kind words.

For your statement #1, I have absolutely no idea what context you intend. The noun form of what? in what context? Please be more clear.

I would totally disagree with your statement #2. The entire issue of whether or not there's a comma has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the specific modifier ("-ing" or something else) and everything to do with whether it's a vital noun modifier.

I drove to the city to bid farewell to my friend leaving for Germany.
No comma because the modifier "leaving for Germany" is a vital modifier --- it makes clear the identity of the "friend."

When I entered the house, I heard my mother, arguing on the phone with my sister.
Here we have a comma, because the the modifier "arguing on the phone with my sister" is not vital --- it is not needed to establish the identity of my mother.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [8]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
mymba99 wrote:
In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific
conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and
emotional skills as
an active process that may be largely completed before age three.
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills,
that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is

answer is D.Here is idiomatic problem.
(A)indicates.....................as is non idiomatic
(B)that modifies the white house scientific conference which is singular.so use of are is incorrect and indicative of..............as is non idiomatic
(C)It distorts the intended meaning of the sentence
(D)Correctly modifies and correctly use idiom indicating that.................is
(E)Again incorrect idiom indicative of......as

If you find this post helpful then kudos plz
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos