Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [147]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [44]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [16]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In archaeology, there must be a balance between explanation of the val [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
nightwing79 wrote:
In archaeology, there must be a balance between explanation of the value and workings of archaeology, revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and to promote respect for archaeological sites.

(A) between explanation of the value and workings of archaeology, revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and to promote

(B) among explaining the value and workings of archaeology, revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and promoting

(C) between explaining the value and workings of archaeology, revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and when promoting

(D) among explaining the value and workings of archaeology, the revelation of the mysteries of past and present cultures, and to promote

(E) between explaining archaeology's value and workings, in the revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and in promoting

Concepts tested here:Parallelism + Idioms

• All elements in a list must be parallel.
• “between” is used for comparing two elements, and “among” is used for comparing more than two elements.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among “explanation…archaeology”, “revealing…cultures”, and “to promote…sites”; please remember, all elements in a list must be parallel. Further, Option A incorrectly uses “between” rather than “among” to compare more than two elements; please remember, “between” is used for comparing two elements, and “among” is used for comparing more than two elements.

B: Correct. This answer choice maintains parallelism among “explaining the value…archaeology”, “revealing the mysteries…cultures”, and “promoting…sites”. Further, Option B correctly uses “among” to compare more than two elements.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among “explaining…archaeology”, “revealing…cultures”, and “when promoting…sites”; please remember, all elements in a list must be parallel. Further, Option C incorrectly uses “between” rather than “among” to compare more than two elements; please remember, “between” is used for comparing two elements, and “among” is used for comparing more than two elements.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among “explaining…archaeology”, “the revelation of…cultures”, and “to promote…sites”; please remember, all elements in a list must be parallel.

E: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among “explaining…archaeology”, “in the revealing…cultures”, and “in promoting…sites”; please remember, all elements in a list must be parallel. Further, Option E incorrectly uses “between” rather than “among” to compare more than two elements; please remember, “between” is used for comparing two elements, and “among” is used for comparing more than two elements.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Between" vs "Among" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In archaeology, there must be a balance between explanation of the val [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B

if 2 use between if more than two use among
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 529 [4]
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
Kudos
1. Use among when comparing three or more items.
2. Maintain parallelism.

B for me
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
This SC is based on a specific style issue and parallelism:

1) "Between" vs. "Among": the word "between" applies to 2 ideas; "among" applies to 3 or more. Here, we have a list of 3 items, so the word "among" is correct. Eliminate A, C and E

2) A 3-item List requires parallel items (in the same format). B uses 3 "-ing" verbs; D uses 1 "-ing" verb, 1 noun and 1 infinitive verb. Eliminate D.

Final Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Balance by its own virtue is between two objects/subjects - balance is not generally something you seek among three areas.
Can someone please help explain this?

Given balance was provided in the non-underlined portion, it seemed obvious to choose the options with between and ignore the ones with among
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
moind wrote:
Balance by its own virtue is between two objects/subjects - balance is not generally something you seek among three areas.
Can someone please help explain this?

Given balance was provided in the non-underlined portion, it seemed obvious to choose the options with between and ignore the ones with among

As noted by other users, we want to use "between" for two items and "among" for three or more items. Sure, "balance" is often used to describe two objects. But you can certainly have more than two things in balance, either physically or figuratively.

For example:

Attachment:
dudes in balance.jpg
dudes in balance.jpg [ 93.94 KiB | Viewed 37258 times ]

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please confirm something for me?

Is "the value and workings of archaeology" in the sentence a single noun entity, and is this confirmed by the usage of the denfinite article "the"? :think:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
When I first saw this question, I just saw the 'between X and Y ' structure and started solving the question, considering "revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures" as a modifier of "archeology"

Is there a way to figure when we have a list of 3 items vs. a list of 2 items (where the first item is being modified)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PRNDL wrote:
When I first saw this question, I just saw the 'between X and Y ' structure and started solving the question, considering "revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures" as a modifier of "archeology"

Hi PRNDL, even if you thought that was the case, "revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures" would not modify "archeology"; such participial phrases (towards the end of a clause preceded by a comma) modify the subject of the preceding clause.

Quote:
Is there a way to figure when we have a list of 3 items vs. a list of 2 items (where the first item is being modified)

afaik, only the intended meaning of the sentence can conclusively help you figure this out. However, even if you thought that there are only two items in the list, hopefully you should then be in a position to conclude that in options A, C, and E (all of which use between that indicates that there are only two elements in the list), these two items are not parallel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
EducationAisle

Why does the "the value and workings of archaeology" need not be parallel in the correct option?
Does the usaage of article "the" signifies anything here?

(B) among explaining the value and workings of archaeology, revealing the mysteries of past and present cultures, and promoting

Could you please help explain?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
EducationAisle

Why does the "the value and workings of archaeology" need not be parallel in the correct option?

Of course they need to be parallel and they are Vegita - value and workings are both nouns.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
In archaeology, there must be a balance between explanation of the val [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please confirm something for me?

Is "the value and workings of archaeology" in the sentence a single noun entity, and is this confirmed by the usage of the denfinite article "the"? :think:

"The" is used with plural nouns when you want to specify EXACTLY which nouns you are talking about.

Consider these examples:

1) Tim loves to devour khachapuri and khinkali.

2) Tim loves to devour the khachapuri and khinkali served at Pirosmani Restaurant.

In example 2), Tim still loves to devour two separate things: khachapuri and khinkali. "The" is just used to show exactly WHICH khachapuri and khinkali Tim enjoys -- the ones from a specific restaurant. (If you like grammar jargon, "the" is called a definite article -- it limits the meaning of a noun to one particular thing).

Back to the official example: "the" tells us exactly WHICH "value" and "workings" the author cares about: those "of archeology."

So, "the" doesn't imply that the noun is a single entity. Instead, it just limits the meaning of the two nouns a bit.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts