It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 36

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 09:43
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (00:00) correct 67% (00:30) wrong based on 13 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average.

The conclusion above would be properly drawn if it were also true that in Argonia

(A) the average accident insurance rate for all drivers rises whenever a substantial number of new drivers buy insurance

(B) the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

(C) the lower the age of a driver, the higher the insurance rate paid by that driver

(D) insurance company profits would rise substantially if drivers were classified in terms of the actual number of miles they drive each year

(E) drivers who have caused insurance companies to pay costly claims generally pay insurance rates that are equal to or lower than those paid by other drivers

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 934

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 0

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 10:15
IMO B.
If we is true, then conclusion is valid.

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 322

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 0

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 10:22
IMO B

B. Only when the cost of insuring those drving fewer miles in less than those driving more miles will the ones driving fewer miles be subsidizing the other drivers.

You can make it a mathametical probelm.

Ones driving 50 miles pay = 100/month; and cost of insuring is 75/month but premium is 100/month
Ones driving > 50 miles pay = 100/month; and cost of insuring is 90/moth but premium is 100/moth

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1402

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 18:45
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 157

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 06:59
icandy wrote:
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.


Can anyone explain?

Quote:
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average


I am confused because the passage clearly states that the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives, then why would people who drive less subsidize(means pay for) drivers who drive more.

Ok, lets assume insurance companies , think drivers who drive less are less risky so the cost of insurance is less,
1)how is this even possible when the argument clearly states
Quote:
the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year

2)Even if drivers, who drive less, pay less insurance, how will that correlation reduce, subsidize the cost of insurance for people who drive more, here there is no mention of an average insurance to assume that if X pays 10 but drives less, Y pays 10 but drives more, hence X is susidizing Y.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 157

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 371

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 53

Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Reviews Badge
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 16:09
BlueRobin wrote:
icandy wrote:
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.


Can anyone explain?

Quote:
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average


I am confused because the passage clearly states that the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives, then why would people who drive less subsidize(means pay for) drivers who drive more.

Ok, lets assume insurance companies , think drivers who drive less are less risky so the cost of insurance is less,
1)how is this even possible when the argument clearly states
Quote:
the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year

2)Even if drivers, who drive less, pay less insurance, how will that correlation reduce, subsidize the cost of insurance for people who drive more, here there is no mention of an average insurance to assume that if X pays 10 but drives less, Y pays 10 but drives more, hence X is susidizing Y.




the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives...meaning that people who drive a lot and people who drive a little still pay the same amount (theoretically, since no other variable is mentioned). Statement B says it costs more to insure those who drive more, yet they are still paying the same per mileage rate. The only way the insurance company can lose money on these customers and remain profitable is if they are making it up somewhere else, in this case by charging those who drive less the same rate. The heavy drivers costs get to remain low because the infrequent drivers are paying much more than they would if the costs were based soley on mileage, meaning they are subsidizing part of the costs for the frequent drivers
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 34

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 16:56
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1980

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 07:56
SJD wrote:
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.


No you're not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 466

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Location: India
Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 08:42
jlgdr wrote:
SJD wrote:
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.


No you're not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Cheers
J :)


xD .
You write to your notes too.

Run on Error in your Comment.
No, You are not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Disclaimer : The below line is not pertaining to any Grammar rules.

IMO The above question's answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Searching for something I've been searching..LOL
Joined: 14 Dec 2016
Posts: 55

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:57
jlgdr wrote:
SJD wrote:
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.


No you're not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Cheers
J :)


with due respect i beg to differ.

in agreement (with someone or something) in conformity with someone or something; agreeing with someone or something.

For Ex:
We are in total agreement.
I am in agreement with your proposal.


That is a valid way to use the word 'agreement'

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Searching for something I've been searching..LOL
Joined: 14 Dec 2016
Posts: 55

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 05:00
Nightmare007 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
SJD wrote:
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.


No you're not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Cheers
J :)


xD .
You write to your notes too.

Run on Error in your Comment.
No, You are not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Disclaimer : The below line is not pertaining to any Grammar rules.

IMO The above question's answer is B.



Another error...

You do not 'write to your notes'

You write to someone/somebody.
You 'Write in' your notes

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1179

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 53

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 05:03

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 53

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2017, 05:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.