It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 222
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2009, 22:34
jallenmorris wrote:
I disagree with the OA. Saying that "light has been shifted" implies that another force is acting upon it to cause the light to shift. If the only difference is between "has been shifted" and "has shifted" - i think we do not have enough information to adequately determine the meaning of th sentence to know which one is truly correct.

A - Implies that another force has acted upon it to cause the shift.

B - Simply says that the light has shifted, regardless of the cause. This sentence is simpler than A and to me seems better to keep it simple.

jade3 wrote:
sasen wrote:
Confusion lies between A and B

A:LIGHT FROM A DISTANT GALAXY "HAS BEEN" SHIFTED BY XXXXX

TELLS US CLEARLY THAT LIGHT FROM THE GAL WAS MADE TO SHIFT BY THE XXXX

B: LIGHT FROM GAL HAS SHIFTED BY XXXXX

AMBIGUOUSLY DENOTES THAT LIGHT HAS SHIFTED ITSELF BY XXXXX.

A is correct since it conveys the intended meaning precisely


The OA is A



Light….. has been shifted….by the rapid motion of the galaxy.

It is clear that "rapid motion of the galaxy" has acted upon "light" to cause the shift.

Hence IMO the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 208
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2009, 09:17
Was a bit confused and going for B.

But now after reading the full sentence again and again ....sure shot A........

Correct - Light….. has been shifted….by the rapid motion of the galaxy.
Not - Light….. has shifted….by the rapid motion of the galaxy.
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 45
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 07:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
jallenmorris wrote:
Why do we need passive voice? On the GMAT, and in general writing, passive voice is bad.

zura wrote:
strait A
In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.

we need passive voice


you must avoid passive voice in gmat but still its not 100 % wrong !
as the case with "being"... gmat considers it redundant but still u can face some correct sentences with it...

in A BY in not underline portion of the sentence hints for passive !
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 07:45
zura wrote:
in A by in not underline portion of the sentence hints for passive !


That's a great point. The sentence would not make sense unless it was passive. That doesn't mean that the sentence is good writing and one a composition professor would approve. I don't like passive sentences, but I think that stems from all the writing courses I've had to take and papers edited and corrected, etc.

What is the source of this question?
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 951
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 22:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Cut the fluff, the statement reduces to :

(A) light has been shifted.... by the rapid motion of the galaxy

This means that "light" doesnt have a intent to shift on its own. The reason why it shifted is because of the change in wavelength caused by rapid motion of the galaxy [Doppler's effect] rapid motion of the galaxy causing the wavelength to shift to the red end of the spectrum

(B) to which light from a distant galaxy has shifted ---> change of meaning. It means that light shifted on its own irrespective of the "rapid motion" of galaxy.

Gotcha ! Ohh light shifted on its own and Doppler's theory is bull shit. Christian Doppler are you listening to this???? LOL

:-D
noboru wrote:
could anybody elaborate a bit more?
thanks.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1466
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 09:08
A it is

'extent of' and 'extent to' are correct idioms

options C, D and E are incorrect for wrong idioms or correct idiom with wrong sentence structure.....

that leaves A and B....if we take the extra stuff out.....the sentence will read as highlighted in blue......

In astronomy....."red shift" denotes the extent to which light......has been shifted......by the rapid motion
In the above sentence if we put just "has shifted" instead of "has been shifted" the sentence will sound awkward.

so the correct structure is "has been shifted....by the rapid motion"

In astronomy the term “red shift” denotes the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.

(A) to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted
(B) to which light from a distant galaxy has shifted
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 00:19
Ans A.

"has been" is required to show that the action is performed "by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 166
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 03:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A.
(A) to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted
Correct: Uses Passive Voice (Notice the usage of "by the rapid motion of".
Correct Idiom : Extent to
(B) to which light from a distant galaxy has shifted
Incorrect: We need "has been shifted". We cannot use Has shifted. This would mean that light itself has shifted. This phenomenon of using (Has been and Has) has been explained in Manhattan in detail.
(C) that light from a distant galaxy has been shifted
Incorrect: I may say, its unidiomatic, but I could not find any other reason than Idiom. :(
(D) of light from a distant galaxy shifting
Incorrect: Do we mean...its shifting NOW !!!+Incorrect Idiom
(E) of the shift of light from a distant galaxy
Incorrect:Incorrect Idiom+Awkward+Wordy
I hope it helps :)
_________________

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 349
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 16:09
first of all the question is in passive voice. so the usage of "has been " is correct
we are left with options A and C.
option c is unidiomatic
"extent to which" is coorect idiom. so option A is correct.
please correct me if i am wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2010, 06:19
First i picked B, thinking its simpler. But after reading the posts above, A makes more sense.
GMAT doesn't say passive is WRONG. In this case, passive form keeps the meaning clearer.

--
Aman
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2010, 06:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
It is amazing how time away from a question allows a person to view it differently.

The answer is A. In my first post I say something about how "has been shifted" implies that something is causing it to shift "which doesn't make sense". If I had read the question closely, I would have seen that the question includes "by the rapid..." That clearly tells us what is causing the action. A is correct because the sentence includes the necessary information to show what is causing the action.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3483
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2010, 11:54
zura wrote:
strait A
In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.

we need passive voice

true.

for this reason A overcome B

galaxy movement shift the light like a mover
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1388
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2010, 07:50
jade3 wrote:
In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the
Earth.
(A) to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted
(B) to which light from a distant galaxy has shifted
(C) that light from a distant galaxy has been shifted
(D) of light from a distant galaxy shifting
(E) of the shift of light from a distant galaxy


In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent [idiom]to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum [highlight]by[/highlight] the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1388
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2010, 23:47
Official explanations:

Choice A is best because it is idiomatic and because its passive verb construction, has been shifted, clearly indicates that the light has been acted upon by the rapid motion. In B, the active verb has shifted suggests that the light, not the motion, is the agency of action, but such a construction leaves the phrase by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth without any logical or grammatical function. In C, the construction the extent that light is ungrammatical; denotes the extent must be completed by to which. D incorrectly employs an active verb, shifting, and extent of light is imprecise and awkward. E is faulty because it contains no verb to express the action performed by the rapid motion.
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2011, 07:56
Good question. Narrowed it to A and B and went with B. Got it wrong,
Nice explanation that light has been shifted ( by someone ) rather than light has shifted (on its own ).
_________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2455
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2011, 12:30
This is good question, one that exemplifies the importance of understanding the MEANING of the COMPLETE sentence instead of just focusing on the underlined portion of the sentence.

In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.

The sentence very clearly explains the term “red shift”. Focus on the highlighted areas of the sentence to get the gist of it.
…the extent to which light from a distant galaxy has been shifted toward the red, or long-wave, end of the light spectrum by the rapid motion of the galaxy away from the Earth.
It denotes the extent to which light from a faraway galaxy has been shifted toward the red end of spectrum by rapid motion of this galaxy.

Now look at choice B – the one that has been selected by quite a few of you as the correct answer - Lets put this choice in the simplified sentence above. The only difference between A and B is the verb - has been shifted in choice A and has shifted in choice B

Red shift denotes the extent to which light from a faraway galaxy has shifted toward the red end of spectrum by rapid motion of this galaxy.

Now what is the role of “by rapid motion”. This expression made complete sense in choice A when we wanted to show the doer in the passive construction. But now in choice B, this is ungrammatical.

So it is of utmost importance that you consider the complete sentence (whether underlined or not underlined). The reason why you marked B as correct choice is its active construction and your belief that passive is not preferred on GMAT. This is an incomplete approach and one that must be corrected in order to perform well in SC.

Take-away - first Understand the meaning of the original sentence - the complete sentence and then apply your knowledge of English language to convey that meaning appropriately.

Payal :)
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 179
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2011, 08:16
A. Must you 'has been' because light was shifted by.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 247
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2011, 04:00
Usually 'has been' is used instead of 'has' when we need to emphasize some fact.

For e.g.,
I have gone to India --> no emphasis on the fact that I went to India.
I have been to India --> the fact that I went to India was of something important!

Here the whole point is - something is shifting and this is emphasized by 'extent TO'. Hence we need to use 'has been'.

Also another clue, but this may or may not be correct (some one can correct me, if this is wrong).
When an action happened over a period of time, its better to use 'has/had been' instead of simple 'has/had'. In our present case, that shifting did not happen in a moment but definitely over a period of time.
_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 20
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 04:27
a is perfect, because, passive voice is rare in gmat, but passive voice í used in science , medical, technical writing style

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 149
Location: India
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:27
Its a pretty clear A.

B. Should be "has been shifted" as in A because the light has been shifted by the rapid motion of the galaxy away form the earth. Therefore incorrect.
Re: In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 12:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In astronomy the term "red shift" denotes the extent to which light fr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.