It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 23:58
Hi Aayush, in D, because is actually followed by a clause:

they are so genetically similar to one another.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 165

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 12:26
daagh GMATNinja carcass Sorry for tagging.
Can anyone tell me how option D is correct? The correct idiom is "consider A B". But it uses consider A to be B!

Plz give kudos!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9056 [1], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rma26 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how option D is correct? The correct idiom is "consider A B". But it uses consider A to be B!

Plz give kudos!

Hello rma26,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

A good look at all the answer choices and we see that consider/s X to be Y has been used in all the answer choices.

Moreover, since the correct answer choice uses this idiom, we must make a note of the this fact that the idiom consider/s X to be Y is NOT incorrect. Hence, we must not reject any answer choice ONLY because of the presence of this idiom because here is an official sentence that uses this idiom in the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9056 [1], given: 335

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1602 [1], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rma26 wrote:

Plz give kudos!

No need to apologize for the tagging! As long as you're being reasonable about it, it's a totally legit way to get our attention. :)

Here comes some heresy: I don't ever really see idioms as absolute rules. (A long, unpopular rant about idioms can be found here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html) Sure, there are a few (older) official questions that feature "considered" without the "to be" -- but I'm not shocked that a counterexample appeared in OG 2017. Outside of the GMAT, I'm not sure that you'll find many grammar experts or editors who actually believe that "considered to be" is always wrong.

More importantly: you have no choice at all. "Considered... to be" appears in all five answer choices. So they've clearly made it a non-issue, and you definitely need to focus on other things, like the pronouns and the "due to", for example.

I'll let you enjoy the question from here, but let us know if you have more questions about this one!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Manager
Manager
B

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:14
GMATNinja wrote:
rma26 wrote:

Plz give kudos!

No need to apologize for the tagging! As long as you're being reasonable about it, it's a totally legit way to get our attention. :)

Here comes some heresy: I don't ever really see idioms as absolute rules. (A long, unpopular rant about idioms can be found here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html) Sure, there are a few (older) official questions that feature "considered" without the "to be" -- but I'm not shocked that a counterexample appeared in OG 2017. Outside of the GMAT, I'm not sure that you'll find many grammar experts or editors who actually believe that "considered to be" is always wrong.

More importantly: you have no choice at all. "Considered... to be" appears in all five answer choices. So they've clearly made it a non-issue, and you definitely need to focus on other things, like the pronouns and the "due to", for example.

I'll let you enjoy the question from here, but let us know if you have more questions about this one!

I know there is no other correct option, but just out of curiosity I asked that. I checked mgmat book again and found that it listed consider ..to be.. as suspect ,not incorrect. Thanks!
btw, is there any rule or norm regarding the antecedent of pronoun after semicolon? Or after semicolon, pronoun can refer back to the other clause's noun?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rma26 wrote:
btw, is there any rule or norm regarding the antecedent of pronoun after semicolon? Or after semicolon, pronoun can refer back to the other clause's noun?

Nope! It's completely fine for a pronoun to refer to an antecedent in the previous clause, even if there's a semicolon separating the two clauses. The semicolon doesn't really do anything to change the fundamental pronoun rules.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:36
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

Quote:
(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

A - 'Struggles that limits' SV disagreement. Plus, that 'being' can be avoided.
B - Genetically similar to who? 'to one another' has been dropped from this sentence, and that changes the intent.
Both are OUT!

Quote:
(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

Struggles that limits - SV disagreement. Both are OUT!

Quote:
(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

No errors, and thus is the right answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 232

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 20:03
daagh wrote:
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.

But the correct idiom is Consider X Y ? What to do if one option has consider X Y and other has consider X to be Y ?

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 232

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.87
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 03:11
daagh wrote:
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.

Completely agree. "Consider to be" is a issue at this question and it made me doubt whether the question is correct. Consider, USUALLY, is not followed by "to be"in GMAT questions I have done so far.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 78

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 11:03
seekmba wrote:
I was hung up in this sentence because I thought the sentence has "this species" and "its" (which is singular ) in non-underlined part and hence we need singular subject in the underlined part as well. (big mistake on my part).

The "its" in the end of the sentence refers to "this species" and the subject of this phrase is 'struggles'......struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina

"considers to be" which is present in all options seems really awkward to me. "consider to be" or 'consider as" is a big no-no in GMAT.

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural. Also we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence.

B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. 'being' is not accepted. we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence

C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural

D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - CORRECT

E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - same as A

I chose option D, but have a few doubts that need to be cleared. Here species is singular. So, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; because they are so genetically similar to one another........what does they refer to? Initially I thought thought they refer to species but it's in the non underlined part of the sentence refers to species as well. Plz explain

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 11:11
daagh wrote:

I chose option D, but have a few doubts that need to be cleared. Here species is singular. So, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; because they are so genetically similar to one another........what does they refer to? Initially I thought thought they refer to species but it's in the non underlined part of the sentence refers to species as well

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 11:13
DmitryFarber wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about "being" or "higher" points, although it's true that the use of "being" doesn't work well in E.However, a simple problem with E is that it mismatches singular and plural: "consider their fellows to be a relative" and "struggles that limits."

I chose option D, but have a few doubts that need to be cleared. Here species is singular. So, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; because they are so genetically similar to one another........what does they refer to? Initially I thought thought they refer to species but it's in the non underlined part of the sentence refers to species as well

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 162

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 00:46
Hey GMATNinja egmat

I eliminated A,C and E because we need a plural verb for the word "struggles"

But I was torn between B and C because of the word "its" in the non-underlined part. Isn't "its" referring back to the "ants"?
Can you help me understand the usage of "its" (in this sentence) in the non-underlined part?

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 162

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey GMATNinja egmat

I eliminated A,C and E because we need a plural verb for the word "struggles"

But I was torn between B and C because of the word "its" in the non-underlined part. Isn't "its" referring back to the "ants"?
Can you help me understand the usage of "its" (in this sentence) in the non-underlined part?

Ooh, interesting question. The tricky thing here is that "species" can be plural or singular -- and in this case ("...spread of this species in its native Argentina"), we know that "species" is singular, since it's preceded by the singular article "this." So "its" just refers back to "species." No problem there at all.

Quote:
(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

But for whatever it's worth, there are plenty of other problems with (B), if that was the answer choice that tempted you. "Due to" can only modify a noun, not a verb -- and in (B), it looks like "due to its being so genetically similar" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ant considers". And that doesn't work.

Also, it's awfully awkward to say "its being." "Being" is apparently a gerund here, and it is preceded by the possessive pronoun "its." I don't understand how it makes sense for something ("the ant", presumably) to possess "being." (More on the use of "being" in this long rant.) And we also don't know what, exactly, the ant is genetically similar to. And it doesn't make sense to say that "all of its fellows [plural!] are a close relative [singular!]."

So even if you weren't super-certain about the "its native Argentina" in (D), the hope is that you'd hesitate -- for plenty of other reasons -- before picking (B).

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 16:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 54 posts ] 

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap