Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [15]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [4]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish convert starche [#permalink]
Kudos
LucyDang wrote:
I can't understand the meaning of this sentence. My question is: Is "manufacturing ... antifreeze" the result of action "convert" done by invertebrates and fish? If so, then why don't we have structure: "Main clause, Verb-ing" to express the result of the main clause?

Yes you are right that conversion of starches leads to manufacturing of antifreeze.
But in GMAT we have to find the best option out of the 5 options presented to us. This does not mean that the correct option is the best available option in the whole world :)

Options A, B and E can be eliminated because of the usage of singular pronoun its with plural noun invertebrates and fish.

The only contenders are C and D.

The problem with D is that, they is ambiguous here. THEY might refer to invertebrates and fish or carbohydrates. Moreover (D) somehow changes the intended meaning of the sentence.

D says: Invertebrates do X so that they can cause Y.
Here focus is more on Y. Invertebrates are doing X just to achieve Y.

C says: Invertebrates do X, causing Y.
So here Y implicitly gets done when Invertebrates do X.

This is the intended meaning.

Note: This question has already been discussed in the following thread:
in-cold-water-habitats-certain-invertebrates-and-fish-76847.html

Please search properly before posting a new question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: In cold-water habitats [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Himanshu9818 wrote:
2. In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish convert starches into complex carbohydrates called glycerols, in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze.
(A) in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze
(B) effectively manufacturing antifreeze of its own
(C) in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze
(D) so that they manufacture their own antifreeze
(E) thus the manufacture of its own antifreeze

'certain invertebrates and fish' is a plural noun and hence requires plural verb 'their'. A, B and E are out.

(C) in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze. Correct option as it mentions the intended meaning.

(D) so that they manufacture their own antifreeze. 'So that' depicts that something is done intentionally by the organisms, but this is not the case. Something is done without any intentions. Hence this is a wrong choice
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: In cold-water habitats [#permalink]
We have 3:2 split here. 'Its' is not the correct pronoun to be used here. Eliminate A, B and E

Between C and D:
(C) in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze - Correct. Correctly modifies the action described in the previous clause

(D) so that they manufacture their own antifreeze - Incorrect. Meaning error. This option suggests that the invertebrates and fish intentionally converted starch to carbohydrates to manufacture their own antifreeze.

Answer: C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
In cold-water habitats [#permalink]
Himanshu9818 wrote:
2. In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish convert starches into complex carbohydrates called glycerols, in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze.
(A) in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze
(B) effectively manufacturing antifreeze of its own
(C) in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze
(D) so that they manufacture their own antifreeze
(E) thus the manufacture of its own antifreeze

Meaning : In cold water habitats, some invertebrates and fish convert starches into glycerols to protect themselves from freezing.

Mistake analysis : invertebrates and fish are plural so there has to be plural pronoun. So, A,B and C are eliminated.

D) so that indicates purpose or in order that, so here for the conversion purpose they manufacture their own antifreeze is wrong.

It is due to the cold effect they manufacture their own antifreeze.

So Option C is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish convert starche [#permalink]
A, B, and E are out - SVA error

its -- invertebrates and fish

C - corrects that SVA
D - changes the meaning (D sounds like converting starches enables them to make antifreeze,
While the intended meaning is converted starches is their antifreeze)
McDonough School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-28-2021
GRE 1: Q165 V153

GRE 2: Q167 V151
GPA: 3.7
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi
"D" seemed correct answer to me, but I understand that D is actually changes the meaning.

However I am still confused how answer choice C is grammatically correct?
"in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze" is it prepositional phrase? Or present participial?
Someone in the above explained that "in effect" is adverb, in that case which word, phrase or clause "in effect" modifys?

I guess I have some grammatical gap

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle,

Can you throw some light on options C and D.

What is wrong with option D?
Invertebrates and Fish convert.... so that they manufacture their own antifreeze.
This sentence too makes sense.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

Can you throw some light on options C and D.

What is wrong with option D?
Invertebrates and Fish convert.... so that they manufacture their own antifreeze.
This sentence too makes sense.

Yeah, as some of the explanations above suggest, the original sentence seems to suggest that manufacturing of antifreeze happens inadvertently (unconsciously).

D changes the meaning and introduces explicit "intent".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle,

We keep the meaning of the original sentence in mind while evaluating the options?

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

We keep the meaning of the original sentence in mind while evaluating the options?

Thanks

I understand there are varied opinions on this, but my opinion is that if the meaning coming out of the original sentence is logical, we should generally try to choose an option that sticks to that meaning.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, we would like to back @EducationAisle; if the meaning conveyed by Option A is logical, we should consider it the intended meaning; only select an answer choice that changes the meaning of Option A if all other options have grammatical errors.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts