Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Re: In constant dollars, New York City taxpayers spend three times more [#permalink]
banerjeea_98 wrote:
"E" for me.

Also a question....if it were a choice, wud this usage be better..."as much as they did" ???

"three times as much as they did" is equivalent to "two times more than they did", I believe. So both would be ok grammartically.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [1]
Send PM
Re: In constant dollars, New York City taxpayers spend three times more [#permalink]
Kudos
Banerjee,

"X times as much as they did" seems like it is a correct usage.

I did a search on this and come up with an article in Fortune that uses four times as much as they did

https://www.fortune.com/fortune/smallbus ... 71,00.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [0]
Send PM
OA is (E)
What is wrong with (B)? Isn't present perfect OK here?

... times as much as ... must be correct
... times more than ... is wrong as I think
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [0]
Send PM
I am talking as if "have" in present perfect
have spent...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
It seems that everybody ignores this one. Let me try to get to my point.

Please look at this post.
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8252

And this is the link.
https://www.theslot.com/times.html

Let me paste the words.

The problem is that "times [blank]er" and "times more," while very common (the above examples are from my newspaper, The Washington Post), make no sense. Although we may understand the intended meaning, such phrasing confuses addition with multiplication and, at least when taken literally, contains a built-in distortion.

The bottom line:

"Times" goes with "as [blank] as."

Percentages go with "[blank]er" and "more [blank]."
"Times" is a multiplier. Two times one is two times as much as one. Think about how natural it is to say "twice as much as" and keep that in mind even when the numbers get bigger.

"More" signifies addition. It and "[blank]er" usually work best with increases of less than 100 percent: In this state, today's high school students are 25 percent more likely to graduate than students were a decade ago. The governor's education budget is 25 percent higher than last year's allocation.

Percentages can, of course, be used to indicate multiplication, and that is a common convention in references to investments and financial indexes: That birthday present of Microsoft stock appreciated 900 percent by the time he turned 18. To the non-business-page reader, however, it would be clearer to say the stock was worth 10 times as much.

The built-in distortion stems from the literal meaning of "times more." Two hundred is twice as much as 100, but it's one time more. That's easy to see with this example, but when you think about "100 times more" or even "three times more," it's easy to think of such comparisons as synonymous with "100 times as much as" and "three times as much as," even though they literally mean "101 times as much as" and "four times as much as."

In my experience, it's safe to assume that a writer is using the "times more" phrasing erroneously. When you see "100 times more," the intended meaning is "100 times as much as."

A parallel ambiguity leads me to steer clear of "a [blank]fold increase." We hear and read and use
"-fold" all the time, but do we even know what it means? For most of my career, I thought, well, a twofold increase would mean a 200 percent increase. One, plus an increase of two times as many, equals three. But one day it occurred to me: There are no "onefold" increases. "Twofold," as the dictionary says, means twice as much; the "increase" part is a hard-to-avoid redundancy. I thought I had made my peace with "-fold" when I came across a reinforcement of my original belief in "Words Fail Me," by the great Patricia T. O'Conner. So who knows? If she and I can't agree on what "-fold" means, that's an excellent reason to avoid it altogether.

For an even worse distortion than "times more," think about "times less." More examples from my paper:

Student athletes subject to random drug testing at an Oregon high school were almost four times less likely to use drugs than their counterparts at a similar school who were not tested, according to a study by researchers at Oregon Health and Science University.

Mars is very cold and its atmosphere is a very thin blanket -- 100 times less dense than Earth's.

Women who had used HRT drugs for at least a decade were 2.5 times less likely than women who had never used them to develop Alzheimer's.
Repeat after me: One time less equals zero. A number can't decrease more than one time or more than 100 percent. What you see in these examples is the common error of twisting a comparison inside out. If Earth's atmosphere is 100 times as dense as Mars's, Mars's atmosphere is one-one-hundredth as dense as Earth's. It's 1 percent as dense. It's 0.01 times as dense -- not even "one time less dense," let alone the nonsensical "100 times less dense."

Now, how could it be right to use "three times more than" in this case?
Director
Director
Send PM
"Three times less than" is always wrong.
But "three times more than" can be right. It is equivalent to "four times as much as". Both are correct.
Director
Director
Send PM
Let's use some math here. Three times A means 3*A. B is three times more than A means B=A+3*A=4*A

Three times "less" A, however, means, B=A-3*A, which would be a negative number, and definitely not what the speaker would have inteneded to convey.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [1]
Send PM