Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q41  V40 GMAT 2: 720  Q47  V42
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Real estate investment consulting
Send PM
Re: "In contrast to" "In contrast with" [#permalink]
Kudos
D seems the better option to me: the fact that symphonies demostrate the use of something seems preferable to symphonies actually using something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
This is an old thread, but I think the answer to the question on Mahler Vs Haydn is debatable. Kaplan 800 says the OA is D, and says in contrast with is incorrect, and that it should be in contrast to. However, it is clear from this thread that OG considers both these idioms correct (also confirmed by MGMAT 3rd edition SC pg 187 on idioms). In fact, per MGMAT (3rd edition, SC, Comparisons, Pg 164), More freely is right and Freer is wrong! (adverbs that take -ly form should use more -ly instead of -er form).

So, clearly, the answer should be E and not D. Thoughts? (Especially on the more freely vs much freer part).
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
In contrast with is wrongly used here.

Both idioms are correct but they have different meanings.

'contrast' is used as a noun in 'in contrast to' and as a verb in 'contrast with'.

Refer : https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contrast
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I don't get how contrast is a noun in "in contrast to X, Y" and a verb in "in contrast with X, Y". Even if that were true, it doesn't explain why one idiom is correct and the other isn't correct.

I am pretty sure this is an incorrect explanation in Kaplan 800, but I am wondering if there's some very subtle explanation I am missing here.
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I think I can help clarify the distinction between "more freely" and "much freer" in this question. Remember that adverbs ("more freely") modify verbs, adjectives and other adverbs. In answer choice E, the adverb is correctly modifying the verb "use."

Adjectives ("much freer") modify nouns. In answer choice D, the adjective is still modifying the word "use," but look closely -- in this construction, "use" is a noun, so the adjective is correct. Tricky!

As many have mentioned, both "in contrast to" and "in contrast with" can be used correctly. The issue with E is, as arkadiyua noted, that symphonies can't actively use anything -- the composers use dissonance, and the symphonies demonstrate that use.

Hope that helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q163 V166
GPA: 3.69
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
In the question about symphonies, could someone explain why B was the wrong answer? It seems to convey the information the most succinctly, and I can find no grammatical or stylistic errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi T.D,

Let me see if I can help.

Here is B

In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, Mahler uses dissonance much more freely.

I've highlighted the issue.

In all GMAT answers you have to check you are comparing 'apples with apples'. That is to say like with like.

Here you are not you are comparing 'Haydn's symphonies' with 'Mahler' that is to say the work of Haydn, with the person Mahler.

If you change the answer to 'Mahler's symphonies' you would solve this issue.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

James
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q163 V166
GPA: 3.69
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi T.D,

Let me see if I can help.

Here is B

In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, Mahler uses dissonance much more freely.

I've highlighted the issue.

In all GMAT answers you have to check you are comparing 'apples with apples'. That is to say like with like.

Here you are not you are comparing 'Haydn's symphonies' with 'Mahler' that is to say the work of Haydn, with the person Mahler.

If you change the answer to 'Mahler's symphonies' you would solve this issue.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

James

Thanks, James! That makes perfect sense. One could also say, "In contrast to Haydn, Mahler uses dissonance much more freely in his symphonies." From a musical standpoint, I'm quite sure these composers intentionally used dissonance and that it didn't just occur by accident.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi,

I understand how 'In contrast to' is correct. E can clearly not be the correct option.
I got confused between 'C' and 'D'. Can someone please explain why 'C' is incorrect? :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
NewKid123 wrote:
Hi,

I understand how 'In contrast to' is correct. E can clearly not be the correct option.
I got confused between 'C' and 'D'. Can someone please explain why 'C' is incorrect? :?

"those" is the first pronoun in the sentence and hence expects a preceding noun. Here, 'those' doesn't have a precedent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 630 Q53 V50
GRE 1: Q160 V161
Send PM