Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [9]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were [#permalink]
mun23 wrote:
Need help in this attached file

E for me. Valid comparison. Early followers of India compared to those of China.
Intern
Intern
Status:"Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway." - Quite a status, Huh!
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were [#permalink]
Kudos
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India,where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization,discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(A) India,where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings, those in China
(B)Buddism`s early followers in india,many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha`s teachings, in China they
(C)Buddism in India,with early followers who were itinerants and many of them travelling the countryside and disseminating the Buddha`s teachings,China`s early followers of Buddism
(D)early followers of Buddism in India,who were itinerants,many of them travelling the countryside, and they disseminated the Buddha`s teachings, in China they
(E) early followers of Buddism in India,many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings,those in china

I think its E.

(A) Wrong. Reason: In contrast to should have the same quantifiable value. Here at the start its 'India' (a country) and compared to 'those in China' (few people)
(B) Wrong. Reason: Buddhism's followers is a wrong term as Buddhism is not a person. And it's always followers of a group and not group's followers.
(C) Wrong. Reason: Same as (A) 'Buddhism in India' is being compared to 'China`s early followers of Buddism'. One is a belief and the other is a quantifiable number
(D) Wrong. Reason: Redundancy of thought, and not a very concisely written one. The wrong part is 'who were itinerants,many of them travelling' - both the parts separated by comma means the same

Cheers. Keep Dreaming.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
E looks good for me. Except one doubt with the use of "they" which shows bit ambiguity between followers and the teachings.

Any comments
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
@mikemcgarry/@GMATNinja
Sir,
I have two doubts here-
1. Can you please help me to understand the usage of "many of whom" vs "many of them"?
2. I struggle to understand the usage of Comma+with?

Regards
Rahul
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rahul2013 wrote:
@mikemcgarry/@GMATNinja
Sir,
I have two doubts here-
1. Can you please help me to understand the usage of "many of whom" vs "many of them"?
2. I struggle to understand the usage of Comma+with?

Regards
Rahul

Hi,
Let me try.

Question No 1.

You can use both, but the punctuation varies slightly for each. If we wish to continue as a relative clause we use 'many of whom', and when as an independent clause we use 'many of them'.

"In the evening we went to a party. I met Diana's friends, many of whom are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party. I met Diana's friends. Many of them are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party where I met Diana's friends, many of whom are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party where I met Diana's friends. Many of them are connected with the movie industry.

We can use 'whom' under three different circumstances:

1) in questions when we ask about the name or identity of a person or group of people.
`I want to send a https://gmatclub.com/chat.'—`Fine, to whom?'

2)after certain words, especially verbs and adjectives, to introduce a clause where you talk about the name or identity of a person or a group of people.
'He asked whom I'd told about his having been away.'

3)at the beginning of a relative clause when specifying the person or group of people you are talking about or when giving more information about them. (Pronoun/prep pron)
'There were generations of women for whom work provided an escape from family life.

Question No. 2

', +with' usually plays a role of prepositional phrase.

A prepositional phrase will function as an adjective or adverb.

As an adjective, the prepositional phrase will answer the question Which one?
The book on the bathroom floor is swollen from shower steam.
Which book? The one on the bathroom floor!

As an adverb, a prepositional phrase will answer questions such as How? When? or Where?
His prospects for the future were very grim, with the bank foreclosing on his mortgage.

Hope it helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4688 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(A) India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China

(B) Buddism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(C) Buddism in India, with early followers who were itinerants and many of them travelling the countryside and disseminating the Buddha's teachings, China's early followers of Buddism

(D) early followers of Buddism in India, who were itinerants, many of them travelling the countryside, and they disseminated the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(E) early followers of Buddism in India, many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in china

In Contrast to X , Y : Correct Idiomatic usage
Further both X and Y must be parallel (comparison)

Hence, Correct Answer must be (E)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
What is difference between Option B and Option E ?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(B) Buddhism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(E) early followers of Buddhism in India, many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in china

ammuseeru wrote:
What is difference between Option B and Option E ?

ammuseeru , here are shortened versions of B and E

B) In contrast to Buddhism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants . . . , in China they lived in monastic communities . . .

E) In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India, many of whom were itinerants . . . , those in China lived in monastic communities . . .

An itinerant is a traveler, a person who does not stop in one place.
A person who lives in a monastic community lives in one place.

Take a look at my abbreviated versions of B and E.
The difference lies in the second part of the sentence that I have shortened.
One of those two pronoun constructions is wrong.

Followers of Buddhism in India is one group with a particular identity.
The pronoun in the second part of the sentence refers to . . . ?
We have a parallelism issue.

In the incorrect construction:
-- The problem is not pronoun ambiguity.
-- The problem is that NO antecedent exists for the pronoun, OR
-- that the pronoun and its alleged antecedent disagree in content — the alleged antecedent and the pronoun are not exactly the same kind of thing.

Hope that helps. Ask again if you get stuck. :)
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
generis

I had few more reasons to eliminate (B)
Let me share sentence structure again:

In contrast to Buddhism's early followers in India, so we are basically comparing followers in India. (more precisely Buddhism followers)

many of whom were itinerants whom correctly modifies followers
who traveled the countryside who correctly modifies itinerants
and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, AND separates two verbs: traveled and were disseminating
Now, here is the catch why do we need a simple past tense verb and past continuous connected by AND.
I firmly believe the second verb tense is incorrect.

in China they in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for the purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

Compare the structure in (E)
In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India,
many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, traveling is verb-ing modifier without coma
modifying previous noun: itinerants , in order to = infinitive verb showing purpose, ie itinerants traveled countryside with purpose
to disseminate the Buddha's teachings

those in china lived in monastic communities (those = followers)
in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.
Also in (E) comparision becomes more subtle to understand:
In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India, .. . . , those (ie followers) in china lived in monastic communities

Hope I am correct in my understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Comparisons should be made between similar things like noun with noun , pronoun with pronoun etc . Here in the correct answer E 'followers' are correctly compared with 'those' .

In contrast to X , Y is the correct idiom

Please give kuddos friend
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts