Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, West Af [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Takdir wrote:
shouldn "djembe" be at the end ?

Your query has already been correctly explained above by Bhuvan.

The modifier "In contrast to the bongo, (which was invented in Latin America)," modifies "the djembe". (What is in contrast to the bongo? - the djembe"). Hence the modifier should touch "the djembe".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, West Af [#permalink]
In my opinion djembe should be in the end since noun modifier should be placed closest to the noun it modifies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
opt A and B passive voice
opt is awkward
can anyone help me on this ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
mkumar26 wrote:
opt A and B passive voice
opt is awkward
can anyone help me on this ?

A, B and C can be eliminated because of wrong modification (please see above). "The djembe" (not "West Africa") should be followed by the modifier "In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America,". Thus only D and E remains. E conveys a wrong meaning. D is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
The comparison is between the two instruments. The instrument should be introduced immediately after comma.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bhuvan.deshwal wrote:
In my opinion djembe should be in the end since noun modifier should be placed closest to the noun it modifies.

AGreed, but the correct idiomatic usage is -

In Contrast to X,Y , hence options (A), (B) & (C) can be negated....

Only (D) & (E) remains and out of the same

(E) the djembe has a home in West Africa.

Thus, option (D) remains as our only answer choice...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, West Africa is the home of the djembe, a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape.

A. West Africa is the home of the djembe
"In contrast to X, Y" idiom doesn't make sense with X = bongo, Y = West Africa

B. West Africa is home to the djembe
In contrast to X, Y idiom doesn't make sense with X = bongo, Y = W Africa

C. West Africa was the home of the djembe
In contrast to X, Y idiom doesn't make sense with X = bongo, Y = W Africa. Also no reason for past tense with "was" since this is a universal truth and can stay present tense.

D. the djembe originated in West Africa
Correct. Better conveys meaning of sentence regarding place of origin.

E. the djembe has a home in West Africa
Not really parallel with comparison. Sentence talks about bongo being "invented" (past tense) and then "has a home" (present participle) in West Africa. Not grammatically wrong, but doesn't seem to capture idea of point of origin as well as D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Using the correct choice, option D, in the main sentence:
"In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, the djembe originated in West Africa, a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape.

What is the last sentence "a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape" modifying here, "bongo" or "the djembe"?

CASE 1
All these 3 sentences (or modifiers) are modifying the "the bongo" in the first sentence:
which was invented in Latin America
the djembe originated in West Africa
a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape

CASE 2
"the djembe" is being modified- because it is the noun closest to the below modifier
However, "the djembe" doesn't touch the above modifier. This could imply that the "the djembe" is modifying "West Africa"- but it doesn't make sense logically.

Could you please throw some light what am I missing here. Thanks in advance.
AndrewN

TheUltimateWinner wrote:
In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, West Africa is the home of the djembe, a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape.

Source: McGraw Hill GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Thanks a lot AndrewN. This is crystal clear to me now. :)

AndrewN wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:
Using the correct choice, option D, in the main sentence:
"In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, the djembe originated in West Africa, a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape.

What is the last sentence "a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape" modifying here, "bongo" or "the djembe"?

CASE 1
All these 3 sentences (or modifiers) are modifying the "the bongo" in the first sentence:
which was invented in Latin America
the djembe originated in West Africa

CASE 2
"the djembe" is being modified- because it is the noun closest to the below modifier
However, "the djembe" doesn't touch the above modifier. This could imply that the "the djembe" is modifying "West Africa"- but it doesn't make sense logically.

Could you please throw some light what am I missing here. Thanks in advance.
AndrewN

TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Source: McGraw Hill GMAT

Hello, Pankaj0901. This is a poorly constructed question, in my view, a case in point for why I do not recommend students practice unofficial questions. The appositive phrase at the end should clearly modify the djembe. Its current placement can lead to nonsensical interpretations, such as that West Africa is a drum shaped like a goblet. Compare to a more streamlined version of the sentence:

In contrast to the bongo, which was invented in Latin America, the djembe, a large, single headed drum with a goblet shape, originated in West Africa.

Now, the contrast is clear, the appositive phrase clearly belongs to the djembe, and the prepositional phrases in Latin America and in West Africa are perfectly parallel.

Although I do tell students that they have to go by what is on the screen, I cannot point to an official question with a correct answer that fits into the same mold as this one. I think GMAC™ would more carefully construct the question and the correct answer choice.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts