It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 15:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In December 1980, John Lennon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 92 [3], given: 16

Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
In December 1980, John Lennon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (00:42) correct 64% (00:51) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In December 1980, John Lennon was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building and has died on the way to the hospital.

a, John Lennon was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building and has died on the way to the hospital
b, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital
c, John Lennon shot in the back four times outside his Manhattan apartment building and died on his way to the hospital
d, John Lennon died on the way to the hospital after being shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment
e, outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon was shot four times in the back and has died on his way to the hospital
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 kudos, if you like the post :wink:

Kudos [?]: 92 [3], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Schools: IIMB EPGP"18 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In December 1980, John Lennon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 06:52
I chose D. Can someone please explain why D is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

LBS Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 67

Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 09:36
I deliberated and deliberated between B & D.....
And then said, lets just go for one.............and I chose D
I guess, it is the "after being" in D that is wrong??

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 67

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 509

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:19
prasadyanz wrote:
In December 1980, John Lennon was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building and has died on the way to the hospital.

a, John Lennon was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building and has died on the way to the hospital
b, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital
c, John Lennon shot in the back four times outside his Manhattan apartment building and died on his way to the hospital
d, John Lennon died on the way to the hospital after being shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment
e, outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon was shot four times in the back and has died on his way to the hospital

Even D looks good to me. Experts-could you please comment?

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 509

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 21:14
Can someone please explain why B is the correct choice? I might be wrong but D makes complete sense. John Lenon is the main subject so "his" refers to John Lenon. Is the use of "after being" incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 21:54

b, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital – Nothing Wrong
d, John Lennon died on the way to the hospital after being shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment (Apartment vs Apartment Building) – Nothing Wrong

B or D, Picked B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge
In December 1980, John Lennon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 23:42
Between B and D,i Picked D as it sounds better in the terms of construction.
Experts please explain whats the error in D?

chetan2u , sayantanc2k

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 04:06
Hi folks,
I'm not an expert, but my best guest for the question 'why D is wrong' will be:
1- the sentence is not structured in sequential order- he was shot and then died.
2-'being' is not very welcomed on GMAT unless no other options

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6405 [0], given: 122

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 06:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goforgmat wrote:

chetan2u , sayantanc2k

hi,

I'll just try and explain both B and D

b, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital.
shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building-- correctly modifies Lennon and gives the proper flow to the sentence..
He was shot and died while being taken to hospital..

Although, there is nothing too glaring wrong grammatically, it is the meaning which is not clear.
somehow the meaning conveyed seems to suggest that he was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment on the way to the hospital and he died.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Kudos [?]: 6405 [0], given: 122

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 07:07
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

chetan2u , sayantanc2k

hi,

b, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital.
shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building-- correctly modifies Lennon and gives the proper flow to the sentence..

Although, there is nothing too glaring wrong grammatically, it is the meaning which is not clear.
somehow the meaning conveyed seems to suggest that he was shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment on the way to the hospital and he died.

But the presence of after being suggests that he was shot before he died . I still fail to understand :roll:

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6405 [2], given: 122

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

chetan2u , sayantanc2k

hi,

But the presence of after being suggests that he was shot before he died . I still fail to understand :roll:

hi,
the sequence is clear ..
he died after being shot but in B, two things have been made clear..
he was shot four times at A place and died on his way to the hospital..

But in D,
"after being shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment" should have been close to John, which it modifies..
So the clarity is not there-- was he travelling to hospital when he was shot?
we can always construe/interpret that he died when he was shot four.. at place A while travelling to the hospital..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Kudos [?]: 6405 [2], given: 122

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 167

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 20:36
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

chetan2u , sayantanc2k

hi,

Hi Chetan2u,
Thanks for the explanation. I understood the sequence in D. But in option B, it looks to me that we are not sure that after John Lennon was shot four times in his back, he died on the way to hospital.
Option B) shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building, John Lennon died on his way to the hospital.
Here, shot four times in the back outside his Manhattan apartment building modifies John Lennon. How can we know that John Lennon died on his way to the hospital after he was shot 4 times in his back. The situation can be quite a time ago, John Lennon was shot four times in his back, and he died on his way to the hospital. What I feel is the word 'after' is missing in option B to connect the events in a sequence. Please help me to understand.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 167

Re: In December 1980, John Lennon   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2017, 20:36

In December 1980, John Lennon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap