Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la [#permalink]
CorporateFinancier wrote:
Thanks, though for instance in this question - https://gmatclub.com/forum/next-month-s ... l#p1867854 - option C is eliminated on the basis of punctuation, as far as I understand:

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the federally designated recovery area, the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.

A. area, the number of which will however
B. area; the size of the population, however, will
C. area, however the number of wolves will
D. area; the number of which will, however,
E. area, when the size of the population will, however,

Hello,

Trying to help here...

I think what mikemcgarry said was punctuation itself does not make an option correct or incorrect, but the meaning does. When punctuation changes the meaning, so, because of the change in meaning, a choice can be correct or not.

In the example above, using comma makes the next clause refers to/explain the previous word (in this case, area). Letter A: 'the number of which' refers to 'area'....That's why is incorrect, because 'the number' is referring to area, something clearly awkward.

On the other side, using semi-colon separates two independent clauses (Letter C) giving the correct meaning: two independent information about the same theme.

Best,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Re: In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la [#permalink]
the word *it* in both A and B is ambiguous right ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

A. not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction
- ''it'' has two possible antecedents: ''civilization'', ''castor oil''.
B. as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction
- ''it'' has two possible antecedents: ''civilization'', ''castor oil''.
C. not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction - has no error. Hence, (C) is the right answer choice.

D. as not only a laxative but as a skin-softening lotion and in construction, as a
- does not have the complete ''not only...but also..'' structure.
E. not only as a laxative, but a skin-softening lotion and in construction, a
- does not have the complete ''not only...but also..'' structure.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 220

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

A. not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction
B. as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction
C. not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction
D. as not only a laxative but as a skin-softening lotion and in construction, as a
E. not only as a laxative, but a skin-softening lotion and in construction, a

Not only ...but also idiom is used in the sentence. Not only and but also must be followed by the same construction sentence. A, D, and E are eliminated. Option B has another problem of parallelism. "The castor oil was used as not only a laxative but also a skin-softening lotion" is good but " and it was a construction sliding giant" is not parallel in describing three uses of castor oil. The option should have said a construction sliding.
Option C has the parallelism. Not only as a .... but also as a .. and as a. The answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts,
A prompt question, I thought that the "not only x but also y" idiom connects two elements but in this case we have not only x but also y and z" so could someone verify whether "not only .. but also.." can take as many elements as we want or is it something that I have misunderstood ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 170
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
GPA: 2.54
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
If B was -
'as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction"
would B be considered correct then?
In this case now, but also is not being compared to a clause.
Also, what are the ways in which B could have been a correct answer here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
This questions tests the concepts of Idioms

Not Only X but also Y
So C fits the above idiom construction, hence is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
hello experts,
need an expert opinion on this,
I have seen many responses for this as why C is better than B, because "but also" has a clause and its not parallel with "not only". I don't think thats the right reason. there is an "and" and it is perfectly parallel with castor oil. so there is no clause in "but also"
I just dont like the later part-- and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

for sliding souds awkward here, is it ok to use for? i think 'to slide' would have been better.
I missed it completly. B is a nice trap.
How to attempt this question and why exactly B is wrong?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la [#permalink]
dcoolguy wrote:
hello experts,
need an expert opinion on this,
I have seen many responses for this as why C is better than B, because "but also" has a clause and its not parallel with "not only". I don't think thats the right reason. there is an "and" and it is perfectly parallel with castor oil. so there is no clause in "but also"
I just dont like the later part-- and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

for sliding souds awkward here, is it ok to use for? i think 'to slide' would have been better.
I missed it completly. B is a nice trap.
How to attempt this question and why exactly B is wrong?

(B) falls to (C) on the grounds of mainly "redundancy". Though Mikemcgarry in this post has explained very nicely why (B) is preferred over (C). You can also check this explanation by GmatNinja. There's no other way then to look for redundancy when come across such a question on the real test.
I personally fare not so well with this error type. Redundancy is something that almost always gets me, and if the sentence is doing a fair enough job of conveying the meaning and is grammatically correct, I find it tough to eliminate. So, there's no one "method" to catch redundancy. Only thing you can do is- Check which one of the two grammatically correct choices conveys the intended meaning more concisely. That's the perhaps only way my friend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
sir please tell me why 'c' is correct?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts