GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jun 2018, 01:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:20) correct 27% (01:51) wrong based on 261 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater quantity when the price goes up. According to the Law of Supply and Demand, when the price of an ordinary item goes up, demand drops, i.e. people buy fewer of them. A Veblen good is a luxury item to which status is attached, such as a designer outfit or luxury car. As the price of such an item increases, its prestige increases, which makes the item that much more desirable. Therefore, as the price increases, the demand also increases, and more of these items are sold.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. This first is a piece of evidence supporting the main conclusion; the second is the main conclusion.
B. The first is a view that the author opposes; the second is the main conclusion.
C. The first is a prediction; the second gives evidence of for this prediction.
D. The first is a general rule, the violation of which seems to indicate a paradox; the second is the resolution of that apparent paradox.
E. The first is an ironic description of what could happen in the marketplace; the second is a more realistic description of what actually happens.

Originally posted by guerrero25 on 26 Jan 2014, 10:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Jun 2018, 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 10:53
IMO D

1st bold: A general rule
2nd bold: Paradox of the rule

A ) This first is a piece of evidence supporting the main conclusion; the second is the main conclusion. Incorrect- 1st bold is not an evidence
B) The first is a view that the author opposes; the second is the main conclusion. Incorrect- No indication of author opposing the view or 1st bold.
C)The first is a prediction; the second gives evidence of for this prediction. Incorrect- 1st bold is not a prediction.
D)The first is a general rule, the violation of which seems to indicate a paradox; the second is the resolution of that apparent paradox. Correct- matches our prediction i.e. 1st bold is a general rule while 2nd bold is resolution of the paradox stated by author in the stem
E)The first is an ironic description of what could happen in the marketplace; the second is a more realistic description of what actually happens. Incorrect- 1st bold is not an ironic description but a general rule i.e. a law

Again a good question. You seem to have a good repository of GMAT verbal :-).

Please post OA along with OE if possible. Would like to understand better.
Intern
Intern
R: K
Re: In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 13:19
guerrero25 wrote:
In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater quantity when the price goes up. According to the Law of Supply and Demand, when the price of an ordinary item goes up, demand drops, i.e. people buy fewer of them. A Veblen good is a luxury item to which status is attached, such as a designer outfit or luxury car. As the price of such an item increases, its prestige increases, which makes the item that much more desirable. Therefore, as the price increases, the demand also increases, and more of these items are sold.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A ) This first is a piece of evidence supporting the main conclusion; the second is the main conclusion.
B) The first is a view that the author opposes; the second is the main conclusion.
C)The first is a prediction; the second gives evidence of for this prediction.
D)The first is a general rule, the violation of which seems to indicate a paradox; the second is the resolution of that apparent paradox.
E)The first is an ironic description of what could happen in the marketplace; the second is a more realistic description of what actually happens.

OA to follow soon

In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater quantity when the price goes up. -> Fact 1

According to the Law of Supply and Demand, when the price of an ordinary item goes up, demand drops, i.e. people buy fewer of them. - Fact 2 (Also counters Fact 1)

A Veblen good is a luxury item to which status is attached, such as a designer outfit or luxury car. - Fact 3

As the price of such an item increases, its prestige increases, which makes the item that much more desirable. - Fact 4 (Explains Fact 1 and forms the basis for conclusion i.e. BF 2)

Therefore, as the price increases, the demand also increases, and more of these items are sold.
- Conclusion

IMO -D
OA ? Source?
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 15:57
guerrero25 wrote:

A ) This first is a piece of evidence supporting the main conclusion; the second is the main conclusion.
B) The first is a view that the author opposes; the second is the main conclusion.
C)The first is a prediction; the second gives evidence of for this prediction.
D)The first is a general rule, the violation of which seems to indicate a paradox; the second is the resolution of that apparent paradox.
E)The first is an ironic description of what could happen in the marketplace; the second is a more realistic description of what actually happens.

OA to follow soon

first is a law..so must be considered as data point/rule/fact
second -> an exception of that rule. and is written as a conclusion.

A - the two statements contradict each other. so out
B - it's not a view..it's a rule/law/fact
C - the first is not a prediction
D = yes, first is a general rule. if it doesn't follow the rule - then we have a paradox. the second is a conclusion -> why this paradox exist.
E - the first is not a description. it's a fact.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 16:43

Official Explanation

The first bold statement is the Law of Supply and Demand, one of the most fundamental and far-reaching laws in all of economics. A Veblen good is a rare example of a commodity that does not follow the Law of Supply and Demand in an ordinary way. The second bold statement makes this clear: the Veblen goods are following a pattern different from the standard application of the Law of Supply and Demand.

Notice that the two bold statements are odd with each other: on the surface, there's a contradiction, and we need the complete text of the argument to resolve this contradiction.

(D) is the credited answer. The first statement, the Law of Supply and Demand, is differently a general rule, a widely observed pattern in markets throughout the world. The Veblen good doesn't obey this rule, so that's paradoxical. The sentences between the bold statements explain what is unique to the economy of a Veblen good, and the final sentence completes that explanation ---- i.e. it resolves the apparent paradox.

(A) is wrong. First of all, the Law of Supply and Demand is not really a piece of evidence. Furthermore, there's a contradiction between this law and how a Veblen good works, so the first bold statement does not support the second.

(B) is wrong. No author in her right mind would oppose the Law of Supply and Demand.

(C) is wrong. First of all, the Law of Supply and Demand is not merely a prediction. Furthermore, there's a contradiction between the two bold statements; one is not evidence for the other.

(E) is wrong. There is absolutely nothing ironic and nothing hypothetical about the fundamental statement of the Law of Supply and Demand --- it's purely factual and objective. Furthermore, the second statement, about Veblen goods, describes a small category of specialty items, and does not apply to the market in general.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 17:56
But in choice B if you consider only the 2nd part of the answer , It is the conclusion of the argument right?
I thought as such because the conclusion marker 'Therefore'.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 01:45
longhaul123 wrote:
But in choice B if you consider only the 2nd part of the answer , It is the conclusion of the argument right?
I thought as such because the conclusion marker 'Therefore'.

Hi anyone,

Similar to what longhaul123 has pointed out, I went by eliminating C, D, E as the second bold part didn't feel like a resolution. The sentence before the second bold part seems like a resolution and the second bold part itself is the conclusion after the resolution. Finally chose B, without noticing the first part of B. Choosing the best option after reading each is giving me a hard time. The more I read about options, the more confusing becomes the easiest of the questions.

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 03:52
akshaykotha - for a sec you should consider it a paradox question. Think what is the paradox here and resolution is also given as the main conclusion of the problem. Let me know if you are able to connect the dots. if not let me know, i will try to explain it to you.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 06:43
aragonn wrote:
akshaykotha - for a sec you should consider it a paradox question. Think what is the paradox here and resolution is also given as the main conclusion of the problem. Let me know if you are able to connect the dots. if not let me know, i will try to explain it to you.

Hey aragonn,

Thanks for responding. According to what I comprehend, paradox here is: Veblen good not following the well-established law. Resolution: As the price increases, prestige increases. Would like to know your thoughts.

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 07:04
akshaykotha

Yes, Correct on identifying the paradox, but don't you think you are economical on the resolution. yes prestige increased but what about the price. as 2nd part of the BF is talking about price too.

On the ground of resolution - What is resolving the paradox? In one sentence(may be more) you have to identify, how to resolve two given things/situations (Usually two situations are given in gmat, more can also be possible.) In other words, that part should be explaining whole thing correctly. Lets take the example of this one.

situation 1 - when the price of an ordinary item goes up, demand drops, i.e. people buy fewer of them.
situation 2 - As the price of such an item increases, its prestige increases, which makes the item that much more desirable.

Paradox - Why one type of item is desirable and not the other type. ---- Now tell me is below given conclusion explains the paradox ? In case your answer is no, it's not explaining. Please let me know what else should be added to it to make it full explanation.

Conclusion - Therefore, as the price increases, the demand also increases, and more of these items are sold.

Hope it was helpful. If any doubts, don't hesitate to respond.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 08:58
Hi aragonn,

After some brainstorming, I get that the sentence before the conclusion doesn't explicitly state that if price increases, demand increases. It is just limited to telling the reader that the product becomes more desirable. Hence, the conclusion is resolving the paradox: Why Veblen good doesn't follow the law. This discussion is a realization and re-emphasis of limiting the 'scope' (with the help of comprehension) of the statements made in a typical GMAT question.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 08:58

In economics, a "Veblen good" is an item which people buy in greater

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap