Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [36]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [13]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 960 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books [#permalink]
Bookmarks
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
hey,
Looks like the question is too easy for further explanation. However, i could not understand how we got that answer.
Pleaseeee reply.

In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

There are three branches, three units of books: {physics}{math}{chemistry} - aranging branches 3!;

Arranging the books within the branches:
physics - 4!;
math - 2!;
chemistry - 3!;

Total: 3!*4!*2!*3!.

Answer: B.

Hi Bunuel,
I apologize for opening a very old post but had to ..
my doubt is if we are arranging 4 physics books then doesn't the arrangement will be 4!/4!, similarly math and chemistry..and over all arrangement should be just 3!..please explain where I am missing..
Thank you,
Vivek.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
viveksingh222 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
hey,
Pleaseeee reply.

In how many different ways can 4 physics, 2 math and 3 chemistry books be arranged in a row so that all books of the same branch are together?

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

There are three branches, three units of books: {physics}{math}{chemistry} - aranging branches 3!;

Arranging the books within the branches:
physics - 4!;
math - 2!;
chemistry - 3!;

Total: 3!*4!*2!*3!.

Answer: B.

Hi Bunuel,
I apologize for opening a very old post but had to ..
my doubt is if we are arranging 4 physics books then doesn't the arrangement will be 4!/4!, similarly math and chemistry..and over all arrangement should be just 3!..please explain where I am missing..
Thank you,
Vivek.

It would be so if we were told that books in each branch are identical. But that's not our case, for example, out of 2 math books one could be on algebra and another on arithmetic thus they can be arranged within math branch as {algebra}{arithmetic} or {arithmetic }{algebra}.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel !!

I am not sure why you have assumed that the books within one subject are actually different !
I believe the books can also be same , solution in that case should be 3!.

You have assumed the same in this problem :

In how many ways can 11 books on English and 9 books on French be placed in a row on a shelf so that two books on French may not be together?

in-how-many-ways-can-11-books-on-english-and-9-books-on-87352.html#p1394032

Your solution was :
I would offer different solution.

We have 11 English and 9 French books, no French books should be adjacent.

Imagine 11 English books in a row and empty slots like below:

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Now if 9 French books would be placed in 12 empty slots, all French books will be separated by English books.

So we can "choose" 9 empty slots from 12 available for French books, which is 12C9=220.

I believe in both these questions we should consider the books to be different. But I am confused because of the two opposite approaches applied to 2 similar problems. Where should one draw the line.

Please have a look . Thanks in advance !!!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ravshonbek wrote:

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

4! x 2! x 3! x 3! = 1728

The last 3! came for the number of ways Physics, Math and Chemistry are arranged.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi Bunuel !!

I am not sure why you have assumed that the books within one subject are actually different !

In how many ways can 11 books on English and 9 books on French be placed in a row on a shelf so that two books on French may not be together?

Your solution was :

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Now if 9 French books would be placed in 12 empty slots, all French books will be separated by English books.

So we can "choose" 9 empty slots from 12 available for French books, which is 12C9=220.

I believe in both these questions we should consider the books to be different. But I am confused because of the two opposite approaches applied to 2 similar problems. Where should one draw the line.

Thanks!
Exact same query? When do we have to consider the books different and when same , if it is not explicitly stated?
Experts please answer... TIA!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
Send PM
tushain wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi Bunuel !!

Your solution was :

*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*E*

Thanks!
Exact same query? When do we have to consider the books different and when same , if it is not explicitly stated?
Experts please answer... TIA!

Because then it would be unsolvable. GMAT questions ideally state this explicitly.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ravshonbek wrote:

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

Total books: 4 Math, 3 English, 2 Analytical Ability
Assume the books of each subject to be a bundle
Hence we have 3 bundles of Math, English and Analytical Ability

Total ways to arranging 3 bundles = 3!
Books inside each bundle can also be arranged.

Total ways = 3!*4!*3!*2! = 6*24*6*2 = 36*48 = 1728
By paying attention to the options, we can reach the correct one without calculating
As the answer would be a number rending with the digit 8 and there is only one such number in the given options.

Correct Option: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Ravshonbek wrote:

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

4 physics book can be arranged among themselves in 4! ways
Similarly, 3 chemistry and 2 math in 3! and 2! ways.

Now considering them as 3 groups, the 3 groups can be arranged in 3! ways.

so the total number of ways = 4! * 3! * 2! * 3!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
I am pretty sure this is a stupid question but here it goes:

Each category of books can be arranged the following number of ways.
physics 4!; math 2!; chemistry 3!;

there are three categories, so the number of ways which different categories can be arranged is 3!.
Now, here's my problem. Bunuel

I thought it would be (3!+4!+2!)*3!, because these are number of ways which the books of different categories are being arranged.

Why should they be multiplied?

Thank you!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HappyQuakka wrote:
I am pretty sure this is a stupid question but here it goes:

Each category of books can be arranged the following number of ways.
physics 4!; math 2!; chemistry 3!;

there are three categories, so the number of ways which different categories can be arranged is 3!.
Now, here's my problem. Bunuel

I thought it would be (3!+4!+2!)*3!, because these are number of ways which the books of different categories are being arranged.

Why should they be multiplied?

Thank you!!

Say the order is {physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 1, 2}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}

For two ordering of say {math: 1, 2}: {1, 2} and {2, 1} we'll have:
{physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 1, 2}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}
{physics: 1, 2, 3, 4}{math: 2, 1}{chemistry: 1, 2, 3}

Similarly for all 3! orderings of {chemistry: 1, 2, 3} we'll have 6 times as many for each above 2!*3! and for 4! orderings of {physics: 1, 2, 3, 4} we'll have 24 as many as previous number, so 2!*3!*4!.

More generally, we multiply because of FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE OF COUNTING, which states if an operation can be performed in ‘m’ ways and when it has been performed in any of these ways, a second operation that can be performed in ‘n’ ways then these two operations can be performed one after the other in ‘m*n’ ways.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ravshonbek wrote:

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

We can illustrate the arrangement as follows:

[P-P-P-P] [M-M] [C-C-C]

So, the 3 groups of books can be arranged in 3! = 6 ways. Furthermore, the physics books can be arranged in 4! = 24 ways, the math books in 2! = 2 ways, and the chemistry books in 3! = 6 ways.

Thus, the total number of ways to arrange the books is 6 x 24 x 2 x 6 = 1728 ways.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
Ravshonbek wrote:

A. 1242
B. 1728
C. 1484
D. 1734
E. 1726

the question did not make clear that all physics, math, and chemistry books are different, but looking at the answer choices, we can see that the answer is not 3!

easy question, but little ambiguous

thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts