It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133076 [1], given: 12403

In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
asicconi wrote:
So is the correct answer 36? The original post says 108.

The question is a bit ambiguous. Here is the solution to why the answer is 108: in-how-many-ways-can-6-people-be-seated-at-a-round-table-if-36750.html#p253783

Check the discussion HERE for more.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 133076 [1], given: 12403

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 03:39
sandeepmanocha wrote:
6 People Sitting Around a Round Table Without Any Restriction = (6-1)! = 5! = 120

Restriction = 1 person cannot sit around other two particular people
Complement Condition = 3 People Will Always Sit together
Now considering 3 People as one group along with other 3 people , total number of ways they can sit = (4-1) = 3! = 6 Ways
But group of 3 Can also Adjust it self in 3! ways = 6 Ways
Total Complement Ways = 6+6 = 12

Total Ways = 120 - 12 = 108

Please correct, if this is not the right way of solving the question

With all due respect sir
I really appreciate your attempt...
According to me every thing is right about your attempt...as I have also used somewhat the same approach
The only difference was that rather than performing 6+6, I performed 6*6..and hence my answer was 120-36=84.
The reason behind this multiplication is as follows
Both the steps, i.e. making a group of 3 people and then arranging them circularly & then arranging the 3 persons which are in a group they all have to be performed together to achieve the given result...we use addition when both choices alone are suuficient to give us the answer....

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 03:47
AK47 wrote:
n people can be seated around a round table in (n-1)! ways.

ok...let's find the no of ways in which that person is always seated next to 2 particular people.these 3 can be seated in 2 ways because the cetre position is fixed.
now we have a total of 3+1 people...note that 1 represents the group of those 3 people.
so 4 can be seated in (4-1)! ways = 6 ways.
hence total ways when 2 particular people are always next to one particular of them = 2*6=12 ways..

and total no of ways in which 6 people can be seated =(6-1)!=120 ways..

hence answer= 120=12 = 108 ways.

choice b as per me.
what's the OA?

londonluddite wrote:
In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if one of those seated cannot sit next to 2 of the other 5?

a) 720
b) 120
c) 108
d) 84
e) 48

With all due respect sir
I really appreciate your attempt...
Can you please let me know what is wrong in my attempt
6 People Sitting Around a Round Table Without Any Restriction = (6-1)! = 5! = 120
Restriction = 1 person cannot sit around other two particular people
Complement Condition = 3 People Will Always Sit together
Now considering 3 People as one group along with other 3 people , total number of ways they can sit = (4-1) = 3! = 6 Ways
But group of 3 Can also Adjust it self in 3! ways = 6 Ways
hence total number of arrangements in the complement position=6*6
Both the steps, i.e. making a group of 3 people and then arranging them circularly & then arranging the 3 persons which are in a group they all have to be performed together to achieve the given result..
hence required answer is
120-36=84.

Please let me know my mistake????

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 09:58
bgpower wrote:
I knew the (n-1)! formula which doesn't solve the entire problem here so I shifted gears and came to the following approach.

You have 6 spots on the table.
Let's imagine to fix the guy who can't sit with all the other ones on one of the spots.
(1) As he can't stand 2 out of total of 5 people, we have 3 options for the 2 seats next to him - so 3C2 which equals 3.
(2) For the remaining 3 spots we have 3! or 6 options.
Multiply (1) and (2) and you get 18 seating arrangements.

But bear with me, we have to remember that we fixed the bad guy on just one spot. He can sit on every seat on the table, namely - 6.
So multiply the 18 seating arrangements with 6 and you get 108 (C)

Quote:
Very well explained, thank you!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 115

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 2
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
londonluddite wrote:
In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if one of those seated cannot sit next to 2 of the other 5?

a) 720
b) 120
c) 108
d) 84
e) 48

This kind of language for students who are in a learning phase is a crime against learning. This is so confusing.
The question should have stated that 1 person cannot sit between 2 people. Sitting next does not mean that the person is in between.
Example of sentences: I sat next to my nephew and niece who are sitting together. I am sitting next to a couple of bushes in the garden which are adjacent to each other. My house is next to the two red painted houses on the street.

If the person does not want to sit in between two specific people.
Answer = Total number of cases - Number of cases when he is sitting between these 2 people

Total = (6-1)! [number of ways of making people sit in a circle] = 120
Number of cases when the person is sitting between the 2 specific people. Place the 3 people aside a bind them together, and now we will consider them as one person. Now, we have 3 free people + 1 hypothetical person (which is actually those 3 binded) = Total 4
Formula for circular combination (n-1)! = (4-1)! = 3!
Now the three which we binded, can also be arranged.
The person which has issues with the other 2 will be in between and the other 2 can only be arranged in 2 ways next to him.
So the total ways in which the guy with issues will be stuck between the people he does not want to is 3!*2=12.

Answer now is 120-12=108.

Route to 700+

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 115

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 07:53
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Re: In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 07:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

In how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap