It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:22

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [3], given: 86

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (00:39) correct 75% (00:45) wrong based on 399 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a pool of eligible candidates?

1) The number of eligible candidates is three times greater than the number of slots on the team.
2) 60% of the 20 athletes are eligible to play on the four-person university team.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 63 [3], given: 86

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 105

GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Re: In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 18:08
pate13 wrote:
In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a pool of eligible candidates?

1) The number of eligible candidates is three times greater than the number of slots on the team.
2) 60% of the 20 athletes are eligible to play on the four-person university team.

Even 1st statement can tell the total eligible candidates, then why answer is not D? :?

-----------------------------------------
Consider Cudos if you like this post.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 105

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [5], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

Even 1st statement can tell the total eligible candidates, then why answer is not D? :?

The 1st statement basically only states, eligible candidates > 3*(4). so the value could be greater than 12, so there is no way one can find the # of possibilities if the total eligible candidates list is unknown.

hope this answers. Kudos if this helped.

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Kudos [?]: 33 [5], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 105

GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 18:27
This post received
KUDOS
kingjamesrules wrote:
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

The 1st statement basically only states, eligible candidates > 3*(4). so the value could be greater than 12, so there is no way one can find the # of possibilities if the total eligible candidates list is unknown.

I missed '' Greater than"...

Consider Cudos if you like this post.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 105

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 5

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
kingjamesrules wrote:
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 86

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 06:54
I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.[/quote]

I completely agree. That's why I posted this question: to see other people's interpretation.

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 86

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1789 [1], given: 797

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
hb4100 wrote:

I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.

A better way to rephrase statement 1 should be " The number of eligible candidates is greater than three times the number of slots on the team." The only way this statement can be interpreted is Eligible candidates > 3*4

But even without this rephrase, Eligible candidates = 3*4 ONLY if the statement mentioned it this way. But the additional "greater than" will make me suspicious of this equality.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 1789 [1], given: 797

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 07:59
pate13 wrote:

I completely agree. That's why I posted this question: to see other people's interpretation.[/quote]

I also think it's D if the actual question is written like this. I agree with both of you, it clearly says that it is 3 times greater and therefore the answer is D (both statements provide the same information).

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 58

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 34

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 3.92
WE: Science (Other)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is clearly D. This is a sub-600 level question that has been categorized as 700+ due to incorrect wording by the source and the confusion it has caused.

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 16:56
I also want to point out a flaw in the second statement, which states that 60 % of 20 athletes are eligible.

We should not assume that there are not categories as well, there can be 40 other candidates eligible who are not athletes but fall under any other abc category

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 15:38
"x is three times greater than y" -> Doesn't this mean x = 3y?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 22:26
kingjamesrules wrote:
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

That's not correct. "3 times greater than 4" means 4+3*4 =16

What you are saying should have been written as "more than 3 times greater than 4"

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 499

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 20:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I agree with Rekha

3 times as many as = 3x4 = 12
3 times greater than = 3 + 3 *4 = 16
greater than 3 times >3x =. >12

Statement 1 is definitely not 3 times as many as. but says 3 times greater than = 16, then statement 1 must be sufficient.
However then , statement 1 and statement 2 are contradicting to each other, statement1 says 16 and statement2 will say 12.

OR on the whole, i am not understanding meaning of statements properly.

Please help.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 499

DS Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 289

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 21:45
I think we need someone from VeritasPrep to comment on this question, because its causing a lot of confusion.
A lot of people will benefit if the meaning of '3 times greater than' is made clear.

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 289

Re: In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 21:45

In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap