Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [47]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618626 [44]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [9]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged [#permalink]
Thank you bunuel, Doing great job dude...
Hats off!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged [#permalink]
Thank you very much. That is an awesome piece of explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Why 7!? There are only six letters to arrange...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mariyea wrote:

Are you talking about Q1, 4th point? Can you please be more specific when asking questions?

4. Permutations of the 7 units {P(S)XXXXS(P)}{X}{X}{X}{X}{X}{X} = 7! = 5040;

There are 7 units: {PXXXXS}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X} --> 6 letters in unit 1, plus 6 units with one letter in each = total of 12 letters.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:

Are you talking about Q1, 4th point? Can you please be more specific when asking questions?

There are 7 units: {PXXXXS}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X} --> 6 letters in unit 1, plus 6 units with one letter in each = total of 12 letters.

Yes I am referring to the first q. Sorry about that.

But the q asks for four letters to be placed b/n P and S... and the ways in which the four letters can be arranged is expressed by 4!
How can there be six units that have one letter each?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618626 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mariyea wrote:

But the q asks for four letters to be placed b/n P and S... and the ways in which the four letters can be arranged is expressed by 4!

It seems that you don't understand what the question is asking. It does not ask about the ways 4 lettter can be arranged between P and S.

The question is: in how many ways can the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged SO THAT in each arrangement there are always 4 letters between P and S.

This should be calculated in several steps. Step 4 is dealing with arrangement of 7 units: P and S with 4 letters between them (as required) is one unit {PXXXXS} so we used 6 letters, EACH of the rest 6 letters is a separate unit itself so we have total of 7 units: {PXXXXS}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X} --> 7!.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:

It seems that you don't understand what the question is asking. It does not ask about the ways 4 lettter can be arranged between P and S.

The question is: in how many ways can the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged SO THAT in each arrangement there are always 4 letters between P and S.

This should be calculated in several steps. Step 4 is dealing with arrangement of 7 units: P and S with 4 letters between them (as required) is one unit {PXXXXS} so we used 6 letters, EACH of the rest 6 letters is a separate unit itself so we have total of 7 units: {PXXXXS}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X}, {X} --> 7!.

Bunuel, Bunuel! Thank you so much! I get it now, you're the man!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618626 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
craky wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
chandrun wrote:
Here a couple of problems I encountered. Let me know your views on them. They may not necessarily be of GMAT format. Please share your views, nevertheless.

1. In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged if there are always 4 letters between P and S?

2. In how many of the distinct permutations of the letters in the word MISSISSIPPI do the 4 I's not come together?

Cheers

THEORY:

Permutations of \(n\) things of which \(P_1\) are alike of one kind, \(P_2\) are alike of second kind, \(P_3\) are alike of third kind ... \(P_r\) are alike of \(r_{th}\) kind such that: \(P_1+P_2+P_3+..+P_r=n\) is:

\(\frac{n!}{P_1!*P_2!*P_3!*...*P_r!}\).

For example number of permutation of the letters of the word "gmatclub" is 8! as there are 8 DISTINCT letters in this word.

Number of permutation of the letters of the word "google" is \(\frac{6!}{2!2!}\), as there are 6 letters out of which "g" and "o" are represented twice.

Number of permutation of 9 balls out of which 4 are red, 3 green and 2 blue, would be \(\frac{9!}{4!3!2!}\).

Back to the original questions:

1. In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged if there are always 4 letters between P and S?

There are 12 letters in the word "PERMUTATIONS", out of which T is repeated twice.

1. Choosing 4 letters out of 10 (12-2(P and S)=10) to place between P and S = 10C4 = 210;
2. Permutation of the letters P ans S (PXXXXS or SXXXXP) = 2! =2;
3. Permutation of the 4 letters between P and S = 4! =24;
5. We should divide multiplication of the above 4 numbers by 2! as there is repeated T.

Hence: \(\frac{10C4*2!*4!*7!}{2!}=25,401,600\)

2. In how many of the distinct permutations of the letters in the word MISSISSIPPI do the 4 I's not come together?

There are 11 letters in the word "MISSISSIPPI ", out of which: M=1, I=4, S=4, P=2.

Total # of permutations is \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}\);
# of permutations with 4 I's together is \(\frac{8!}{4!2!}\). Consider 4 I's as one unit: {M}{S}{S}{S}{S}{P}{P}{IIII} - total 8 units, out of which {M}=1, {S}=4, {P}=2, {IIII}=1.

So # of permutations with 4 I's not come together is: \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}-\frac{8!}{4!2!}\).

Hope it helps.

What about my approach to PERMUTATIONS?

The word permutations consists of 12 letters.
You can choose P and S in 7*2 ways so there are always 4 numbers between them
P on first, S on fifth ........ P on seventh S on twelwth + reversely (SP)

You are left with 10 letters, 2 of which are the same (TT)

So the complete formula is:

\(7*2*\frac{10!}{2!}=7*10!\)

It makes the same result, but I think is a bit quicker.

This approach is also correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Bookmarks

PERMUTATIONS:
Total length of the word = 12
Repetitions:
T:2. Rest all letters:1

P,S can occupy following indices in the word
{1,6},{2,7},{3,8},{4,9},{5,10},{6,11},{7,12}

In each of the above positions that P and S occupy, the remaining 10 letters can be arranged in
\(\frac{10!}{2!}\) ways

Likewise; S,P can occupy following indices:
{1,6},{2,7},{3,8},{4,9},{5,10},{6,11},{7,12}

In each of the above positions that S and P occupy, the remaining 10 letters can be arranged in
\(\frac{10!}{2!}\) ways

So, total number of arrangements:

\(\frac{7*2*10!}{2!}\)

Word MISSISSIPPI
Length: 11
Repetitions:
I:4
S:4
P:2
M:1

Total number of arrangement possible = \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}\) ------------Ist

Now, let's conjoin four I's and treat it as a unique character, say #. We have conjoined all fours in order to symbolize that all I's are adhered together.

So, Now MISSISSIPPI becomes M#SSSSPP
Word: M#SSSSPP
Length: 8
Repetitions:
S:4
P:2
M:1
#:1

The number of ways in which I's come together is:
\(\frac{8!}{2!4!}\) --------- 2nd

Thus, the number of arrangements in which I's not come together will be the difference between 2nd and Ist

\(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}-\frac{8!}{2!4!}\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
geeeesh bunuel... amazing explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged if there are always 4 letters between P and S?
I solved this way:
P_ _ _ _ S _ _ _ _ _ _

10! [ arrange remaining 10 letters]
divided by 2! [ because of 2 T]
multiplied by 2! [ swap P and S]
multiplied by 7 [ P and S can move 6 places ahead]

= 7.10!
Please tell if correct approach?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
chandrun wrote:
Here a couple of problems I encountered. Let me know your views on them. They may not necessarily be of GMAT format. Please share your views, nevertheless.

Cheers

THEORY:

Permutations of \(n\) things of which \(P_1\) are alike of one kind, \(P_2\) are alike of second kind, \(P_3\) are alike of third kind ... \(P_r\) are alike of \(r_{th}\) kind such that: \(P_1+P_2+P_3+..+P_r=n\) is:

For example number of permutation of the letters of the word "gmatclub" is 8! as there are 8 DISTINCT letters in this word.

Number of permutation of the letters of the word "google" is \(\frac{6!}{2!2!}\), as there are 6 letters out of which "g" and "o" are represented twice.

Number of permutation of 9 balls out of which 4 are red, 3 green and 2 blue, would be \(\frac{9!}{4!3!2!}\).

There are 12 letters in the word "PERMUTATIONS", out of which T is repeated twice.

1. Choosing 4 letters out of 10 (12-2(P and S)=10) to place between P and S = 10C4 = 210;

Hi,

As you have chosen 4 letters out of 10 letters which include two TT's, would it not lead to duplication of the selections?
As in the case of "ENTRANCE", if we had to choose the number of selections, we would go as follows -

We have 8 letters from which 6 are unique.

Possible scenarios for 4 letter selection are:
A. All letters are different;
B. 2 N-s and other letters are different;
C. 2 E-s and other letters are different;
D. 2 N-s, 2 E-s.

Let's count them separately:
A. All letters are different, means that basically we are choosing 4 letters form 6 distinct letters: 6C4=15;
B. 2 N-s and other letters are different: 2C2(2 N-s out of 2)*5C2(other 2 letters from distinct 5 letters left)=10;
C. 2 E-s and other letters are different: 2C2(2 E-s out of 2)*5C2(other 2 letters from distinct 5 letters left)=10;;
D. 2 N-s, 2 E-s: 2C2*2C2=1.

15+10+10+1=36
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
is this a gmat type question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
I am too a little confused. If we have two T's then number of combination should go down while selecting 4 numbers out of 10.
E.g. AABC, If we have to choose 2 letters from these 4 then we will have following options:
AB, BC, AC, AA = 4
But if we apply combination formula 4C2 then answer will be 6.

A little confused, if anyone can guide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Bunuel
Sorry to bump in an old topic but my doubt is concerned with the topic in discussion.

Q. Possible arrangements for the word REVIEW if one E can't be next to the other.

My approach:

_R_V_I_W_ .Since both E acn't be together so they can be arranged in the 5 blank spaces.

5C2 * 4!(5C2 for selecting 2 out of 5 places for E & rest can be arranged in 4! ways.)

Ans with this approach 240 which is correct in this case.

Now the question discussed above:

Going as per the above approach it comes

8C4 * (7!/4!2!) (8C4 for filling 4 I's in 8 blank spaces and arranging rest 7 alphabets in 7!/4!2!)
But in this case answer doesn't match.

Please if you could explain the flaw in my approach will be very helpful.
Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be arranged [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel,

I am getting a bit stuck on the theory behind the 4 I's calculation. Could you explain in more detail why it is 8!/4!2!?

Thank you!

Bunuel wrote:
chandrun wrote:

Cheers

THEORY:

2. Permutation of the letters P ans S (PXXXXS or SXXXXP) = 2! =2;
3. Permutation of the 4 letters between P and S = 4! =24;
5. We should divide multiplication of the above 4 numbers by 2! as there is repeated T.

Hence: \(\frac{10C4*2!*4!*7!}{2!}=25,401,600\)

There are 11 letters in the word "MISSISSIPPI ", out of which: M=1, I=4, S=4, P=2.

Total # of permutations is \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}\);
# of permutations with 4 I's together is \(\frac{8!}{4!2!}\). Consider 4 I's as one unit: {M}{S}{S}{S}{S}{P}{P}{IIII} - total 8 units, out of which {M}=1, {S}=4, {P}=2, {IIII}=1.

So # of permutations with 4 I's not come together is: \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}-\frac{8!}{4!2!}=33,810\).

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
I have approached this problem as follows:

*7C1 to pick a place for P ( S gets fixed the moment I select the location for P)
*2! for the interchange of P and S.
*Now, 10 places are left with 10 alphabets to fill with. (with T appearing twice ) - 10!/2!

Ans 7C1*2!*10!/2!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts