Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [139]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [30]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [18]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [12]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Re: In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
misterJJ2u wrote:
In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound.

(b) in the two ears hearing a given sound hep the listener in determining
(c) in how a sound is heard by the two ears helps the listener determine
(d) between how the two ears hear a given sound helps the listener in determining
(e) between how a sound is heard by the two ears help the listener in determining

--------------------
Explanations are much appreciated. I had a really hard time ruling out choices for some reason. I'd like to know what I should have been looking for on this one.

A. in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine CORRECT
B. in the two ears hearing a given sound help the listener in determining. Awkward construction
C. in how a sound is heard by the two ears helps the listener determine Subject and Verb agreement issue.
D. between how the two ears hear a given sound helps the listener in determining Usage of between is wrong idiom correct idiom is between X and Y.

E. between how a sound is heard by the two ears help the listener in determining.Usage of between is wrong idiom correct idiom is between X and Y.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [7]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound.

(a) in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine
Correct. S-V agreement "differences......help".

(b) in the two ears hearing a given sound help the listener in determining
Wrong. change meaning "differences in the two ears"

(c) in how a sound is heard by the two ears helps the listener determine
Wrong. differences is plural, so "helps" is incorrect.

(d) between how the two ears hear a given sound helps the listener in determining
Wrong. "differences between how the two ears hear" is wrong idiom. Should be "differences between how X and how Y". Also, "helps" is incorrect.

(e) between how a sound is heard by the two ears help the listener in determining
Wrong. "differences between how the two ears hear" is wrong idiom. Should be "differences between how X and how Y". Also, "help in doing something" is wrong idiom.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
debbiem wrote:
Still not sure on A. 'to' has to be there..

No, "to" is not mandatory. The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide from the chapter Idioms:

RIGHT:
He HELPS RAKE the leaves.
He HELPS TO RAKE the leaves.
He HELPS me RAKE the leaves.
He HELPS me TO RAKE the leaves.
His HELP IN RAKING the leaves has been welcome.

WRONG:
He HELPS me IN RAKING the leaves.
I need him AS HELP TO RAKE the leaves.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [3]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
Kudos
First, it shouldn't be "help the listener to determine" (although that is how lots of people would say it). You don't need the "to" - and, if you don't need it, then it's not going to be in the correct answer!

Be careful about deciding based upon what sounds good or bad. The test will fool your ear. Go based upon the specific rules you KNOW are true.

You may read an original sentence and think it sounds awkward (in fact, this will happen quite a lot!), but if you cannot point to a specific area that you KNOW is an actual grammatical error, don't eliminate A. It stays in as a possibility.

The in vs. between issue is an idiom. I say differences in X (just one thing) or differences between X and Y (two things). This sentence has one thing: how the two ears hear a given sound. So, I need "differences in." Elim D and E.

B says "differences in the two ears hearing" - that makes it sound like the two ears themselves are different (as in, they look different or something), as opposed to a difference in the way the two ears perceive a sound. That's not the original meaning (and doesn't even make a lot of sense), so elim B.

C says "differences... helps" - that's a subj-verb mismatch. Elim C. (you can also use this to elim D, if you haven't already eliminated it).

Only A is left. (And, usually this will be the process for getting yourself to A. There won't be anything wrong with it but you'll be suspicious of it b/c 80% of the time there IS something wrong with it, so you'll find some reason to say it sounds bad. But DO NOT eliminate A unless you can point to a specific error. Leave it in and test the others.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director of Online Community
ManhattanGMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
A for me.

differences need help, not helps.

using between will not be idiomatic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A

(A) in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine - CORRECT
(B) in the two ears hearing a given sound help the listener in determining - as if differences in the ears
(C) in how a sound is heard by the two ears helps the listener determine - differences is plural
(D) between how the two ears hear a given sound helps the listener in determining
(E) between how a sound is heard by the two ears help the listener in determining
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
AndrewN, I was confused between A and C but chose C and got it wrong. I understood where I went wrong based on what the others before me have written but the question I have is in C if the verb "helps" would have been "help" would the sentence still been wrong?

Anybody else who reads this is also welcome to solve the dilemma.

Thank you.

Hello, kntombat. To answer your question, no, option (C) would not have been incorrect had it incorporated a proper subject-verb agreement. It would still have been less preferable to (A), since the active voice of the original sentence beats out a passive construct, but at least (C) would not have been dismissible. (I am sure the sentence was carefully crafted to ensure that (C) would be undeniably incorrect.)

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos