It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 11:21
"an overwhelming proportion of women work"
I think proportion is singular........like %age of something

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 323 [3], given: 6

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
saqibbaig wrote:

For you to know....proportion can be singular/plural depending upon the intent and construction.
Here are few examples that will make it clear..

the proportion of women working in Europe has increased --> it's the actual proportion that has increased (proportion is singular here)

a large proportion of the women work in Europe --> the women themselves work (a proportion can't work) So plural

Hope it helps!!

Kudos [?]: 323 [3], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2010, 07:59
Would also go with C as other opton have some or other erors mentioned
below:
1. Subject verb agreement : 'Proportion of women' PLURAL correct- verb 'work' is correct
2. How about AS and LIKE : WHich one is correct here? Should go with 'AS' because we are comparing clauses
3. Many or Many of them : which one is correct ? many of them refer to the proprotion of women

15 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 843 [15], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Guys,

First of all, it is unlikely that this is a real GMAT question. A real question would not have used "portion of women;" the correct answer would use "number of women". "Portion" or "amount" can be used for non-count or singular nouns ("portion of the population," "amount of money," BUT "number of people").

So let's leave the subject-verb agreement issue aside and focus on the other aspects of the sentence that you've correctly identified:

In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are in middle management and light industry.

A. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are

To refere to people, use "who" or "whom", never "which" or "that".

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many

Notice that the prepositional phrase, "with much of Eastern Europe," does not accurately describe anything here. There is nothing in the sentence that can be described as being "with Europe."

TIP: The GMAT SC from time to time likes to user "with..." to create an inaccurate modifier.

INCORRECT: The student with the highest grade was rewarded.
CORRECT: The student who received the highest grade was rewarded.

C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them

First, the comparison of the two prepositional phrases ("in Hungary" and "in ... Europe") is logical and properly uses the word "as".

Second, "many of them in in middle management and light industry," is a structure called an absolute phrase.

The absoluate phrase is just a noun+description (NO VERB!) This is not a clause and not a modifier, but rather just a form of additional info.

Ex. Sue drove down the street, the wind (noun) in her hair (description).

So "many of them (women) in the ..." is just a way of adding info to the already complete clause, "an overwhelming propostion/number of women work/s".

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are

NOTE: "Like" can be used to compare only two nouns, not two descriptions or clauses.

So "like... Europe" would have worked if the sentence had begun with "Hungary," not "In Hungary."

E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are

Same problem as D.

Also, "many are in..." is a full independent clause (subject + verb that could be a sentence on its own). Two independent clauses cannot be attached with just a comma!

INCORRECT: I am hungry, I will eat.
CORRECT: I am hungry [; / ,and / ,so...] I will eat.

Check out Lesson 6 for more on comparisons and Lessons 9 and 10 for count and non-count nouns at gmaxonline!

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Kudos [?]: 843 [15], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [2], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
papillon86 wrote:
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Hey, try this out. Based on Two very important concepts.

Thanks

I got it wrong on the GMAT prep.. the answer is C..
Cos it compares Hungary and much of Europe logically & it should be many of them...

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Kudos [?]: 136 [2], given: 7

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:57
I have noticed this pattern between
many of which / many of them, prefer the latter. If you want to blindly tick the answer and move on :-)

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 08:11
can someone please clear this...

somewhere i have read that whenever "as" is used then it must be followed by a conjugated verb...however if we use "like" then it should not be

anyone validate this rule..also refer the problem mentioned in this post

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:12
smartmundu wrote:
can someone please clear this...

somewhere i have read that whenever "as" is used then it must be followed by a conjugated verb...however if we use "like" then it should not be

anyone validate this rule..also refer the problem mentioned in this post

Comparison "As" can compare clauses or prepositions according to MGMAT. Furthermore all comparisons must be parallel and must make sense.

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management and light industry.

I hope that helps you ..

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 23:49
Could you please explain this :

INCORRECT: The student with the highest grade was rewarded.
CORRECT: The student who received the highest grade was rewarded.

WHy Incorrect one is incorrect ? How to make a rule out of this so that it could be used wherever we see tricky "with" .

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2010, 09:47
[quote="papillon86"]In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.

I believe this is one of the rare cases in which both "like" and "as" can be used b/c we are not dealing with the caluses or we are dealing with nouns. So, we cannot eliminate any answers based on the like vs. ass rules, so it has to be something else. Parallelism, Bingo! Leave A and C, and thrash the rest. "Many of which" is incorrect, many of whom is correct. Pick C.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 17

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2010, 10:44
Throw the following options out:
- the ones that use "which"
- the ones that use "like"

Leaves us with C as the right one

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 14:07
papillon86 wrote:
saqibbaig wrote:

For you to know....proportion can be singular/plural depending upon the intent and construction.
Here are few examples that will make it clear..

the proportion of women working in Europe has increased --> it's the actual proportion that has increased (proportion is singular here)

a large proportion of the women work in Europe --> the women themselves work (a proportion can't work) So plural

Hope it helps!!

the same story about THE NUMBER OF Vs. A NUMBER OF....
Am I right?

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 315

WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 10:18
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Best,
Sarai

hi Sarai,
Is C makes run-on error? is it better to use "many of whom" (a relative pronoun) instead of "many of them"?
Can "work" function as noun so "many of which" modifies for "work"?

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 315

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2012, 03:57
IMO this is C. And this is GMAT question. I believe this question is from Gmat10 version.
First of all in is required, only A and C contains "IN". You cannot use which pronoun for humans thus C wins. If it were for me, I would not bother to write a sentence like this.

Did I use like correctly? :lol:

Need your opinion.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2012, 04:40
vudsri000 wrote:
I went with C ..........but in some other thread i have seen the question and they say OA .is A .......but can't believe ut ....

Please visit the below link.. OA is C
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... t5864.html

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [1], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are in middle management and light industry.

1. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are
2. as with mych of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many
3. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them
4. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are
5. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are

First, like much of Eastern Europe is not paralleled with "In Hungary". Therefore, D and E are out.

As with much of Eastern Europe also wrong in term of meaning and paralleled. => Choice B is out.

"In Hungary" should be paralleled with "AS in ...". Hence, choice A and C are in finalist.

In choice A, "many of which" refers to "women" is wrong. So, we keep choice C as the final answer. That's correct

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [1], given: 44

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:51
IMO C too, I don't think things like absolute phrases make any difference, since in SC, you just choose the most appropriate one compared to other options, even though all of the options are not the best.

7 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1593 [7], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation on this one. Thanks in advance!

as the sentence is starting with IN HUNGARY...
IN = PREPOSITION...
now LIKE is never followed by prepositional phrase...so we cannot use LIKE ...
So we can eliminate option containing LIKE.
more over in options containing LIKE ..much of is followed by like....hence the comparison is also not correct.

according to parallel structure necessity..we need:
in hungary, AS IN....

basing this we can eliminate option B.
MOREOVER option B HAS singular verb WORKS for plural subject ,,hence incorrect.

OPTION A everything correct except...use oF WHICH.
now we know we can never USE which /that for human beings....
so MANY OF WHICH...this is wrong..

hence left with OPTION C

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1593 [7], given: 197

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1409 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 07:30
IS proportion singular or plural in this sentence? can someone comment between work vs works!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1409 [0], given: 543

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 07:33
"an overwhelming proportion" --> Singular, this phrase refers to a particular proportion that is also overwhelming. Works should go with this phrase

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 80

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 07:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap