It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 08:09
I have a question regarding Subject-Verb in the question.

An overwhelming proportion of women work (or workS)?

Should the verb follow "A proportion" or "Women"?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 23:32
unknown5386 wrote:

The "proportion" cannot work, hence "women" is what needs to be considered to choose between the sing. works and plu. work.
Women = Plural. Therefore, women work.

Hope this helps. :)

-Keep them Kudos coming!-

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 07:08
unknown5386 wrote:

Indeed this is very confusing. I looked in Official guide, and saw an example where "proportion" is used as "singular": Question 43 in official guide.

Are there any rules?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 07:20
Quote:

the correct sentence :An overwhelming proportion of women work
logic : its the women who work not the proportion !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 15:28
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

the correct sentence :An overwhelming proportion of women work
logic : its the women who work not the proportion !!

It absolutely does not matter whether the women work or the proportion work(s)
"proportion" is singular and therefore requires "s" at the end of the verb.

If the qustion read - "Most women work" then its fine but as long as we have phrases such as "The majority of", "A huge part of", "A proportion of" " The number of", we those are considered singular according to the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 41

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 20:58
Quote:
Ivan91 wrote:It absolutely does not matter whether the women work or the proportion work(s)
"proportion" is singular and therefore requires "s" at the end of the verb.

If the qustion read - "Most women work" then its fine but as long as we have phrases such as "The majority of", "A huge part of", "A proportion of" " The number of", we those are considered singular according to the GMAT.

this information is not correct !!
case in point :this gmat sentence is 100 % correct : In Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
if u follow ur logic then the verb should have been "works" and not "work"
also "the number of " is always singular but same does not apply to "A proportion of" .

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 22:32
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
Indeed this is very confusing. I looked in Official guide, and saw an example where "proportion" is used as "singular": Question 43 in official guide.

quote the problem and i will resolve ur confusion .

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

The above sentence says: the proportion has.

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 281 [2], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

it is the proportion that has increased so we need "has" and not "have"

Kudos [?]: 281 [2], given: 61

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 09:30
Brilliant! The highlighted portion is the key to success in this question! :)

ritula wrote:
The key point in this question is to recognise wether to use like or as. This can be done by rewriting the statement as:
An overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

Since action is being compared so as would be used instead of like. Hence D and E are eliminated. B is wrong bcos it violates parallelism by using "with" instead of "in". Now b/w A and C, As wrong bcos of usage of "which" (distosts the meaning). C is the best choice

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 403

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 00:10
ConkergMat wrote:
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.

"An overwhelming proportion of" + noun go with plural, "the proportion " goes with singular. " As" should be used here. Left with choice A and C. Since "many of..." sentence should be a modifier, the modifying sentence cannot contain verb. Also "which" cannot modify "women". C is the answer.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 148

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 23:39
vad3tha wrote:
ConkergMat wrote:
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.

"An overwhelming proportion of" + noun go with plural, "the proportion " goes with singular. " As" should be used here. Left with choice A and C. Since "many of..." sentence should be a modifier, the modifying sentence cannot contain verb. Also "which" cannot modify "women". C is the answer.

Agreed. Which modifies proportion, obviously incorrect

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 85

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1055 [1], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Subject Verb Agreement:
In Option B and D, a proportion of women -> is plural so work should be used.

Comparison issue.

We are comparing the following sentence:
an overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary as an overwhelming proportion of women work in much of eastern Europe
Now why not like

an overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary like much of eastern Europe
Like is used for the comparing nouns so that is correct.

If we use like, there can be two inferences drawn:
an overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary as an overwhelming proportion of women work in much of eastern Europe -> Intended meaning
an overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary as Hungary work in much of eastern Europe -> which is illogical

Hence we need to use as and we need to repeat "in" so that comparison is proper.

hence Option D and E are out

With usage in B)
Normally in GMAT either with is used as part of idiom or used to modify the noun.
For example "association with" is an idiom
or "Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability"
here with is modifying the noun - "Starfish"

But in Option B) I need a comparison marker. So Option B) is wrong

Between A) and C)
in A) many of which -> which refers to proportion and we require many of them -> to refer to the actual women.

In C) the reference (many of them) correctly refers to the women and hence C) is the correct answer

Side note:
Why we don't have the option C) as
as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them are in

(many of them) is a noun and if we have a verb - are , that makes the sentence as Independent clause and this cannot be joined with the previous independent clause.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 20:01
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management and light industry.

Isn't it a run-on sentece? What links "In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work" with "many of them in middle management and light industry.". I thought that it should have a semicolon instead of a comma.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 21:35
This post received
KUDOS
Pags wrote:
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management and light industry.

Isn't it a run-on sentece? What links "In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work" with "many of them in middle management and light industry.". I thought that it should have a semicolon instead of a comma.

"Many of them in middle management" -> can you find a verb.
If there is no verb, then it can never be a independent clause and if this is not an independent clause, it should be a dependent clause (here it is a modifier) and hence there is no run on sentence.

Let me know if you have further doubts.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1055 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 05:47
pavankarwa123 wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:

"Many of them in middle management" -> can you find a verb.
If there is no verb, then it can never be a independent clause and if this is not an independent clause, it should be a dependent clause (here it is a modifier) and hence there is no run on sentence.

Let me know if you have further doubts.

I interpreted it as an appositive! Is it correct?

Yes, it is an appositive. It is of the form Noun + Modifier. "Many of them" is modifying women in the previous clause.

Thanks,
Kinjal

Kudos [?]: 1055 [0], given: 548

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 350

Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 15:53
first split --> like vs as
like --> noun-to-noun comparison
as --> clause-to-clause comparisons (compare events and actions)
Here we are comparing proportion of women who work. Hence use "as"
Eliminate --> D, E

Second split --> use of which
which is never used to refer to a person.
Eliminate --> A

Third split --> Use of quantity expression
"overwhelming proportion of" will take plural form in this case.
Eliminate --> B

Answer --> C

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 350

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 175

GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 03:31
I am not able to understand why like is incorrect here ??
We are comparing hungry and eastern europe ?
Please help between C and D.
I marked D as answer which is incorrect

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 175

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 01:02
I understood that "proportion of women" is plural because it is women who work not the proportion. However, if someone can explain to me the use of "them" to refer to "women" because "women" is a part of prepositional phrase "of women".

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 01:09
gaurav0480 wrote:
I understood that "proportion of women" is plural because it is women who work not the proportion. However, if someone can explain to me the use of "them" to refer to "women" because "women" is a part of prepositional phrase "of women".

Hi Gaurav, how did you get the impression that a pronoun cannot refer to a noun that is a part of prepositional phrase?

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 98

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 04:08
There seems to be a SV-Agreement error in C, because the word "proportion" is singular. Hence it shall be followed by the verb "works".

Is it a type of question where the correct answer (C) is not perfect and has some grammatical flaws, but is still considered as the best choice in comparison to other options?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."" Muhammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 98

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o   [#permalink] 17 May 2016, 04:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap