It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 17:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:34) correct 39% (00:43) wrong based on 1421 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

(A) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in

(B) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in

(C) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in

(D) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are

(E) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 02 Sep 2017, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted the question.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 338 [1], given: 0

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
First of all the 3 options are using "as" and remaining 2 are using "like". We need to determine which one of these is correct.
"As" is used as an adverb while serving as a preposition with the meaning of "in the capacity of". It should be used before a clause, adverb or prepositional phrase. This is exactly what we need here.
"Like" is used before a noun or pronoun, so does not suits here.
Now we are left with A, B, and C.

"As in" is correct usage than "As with".

So we are left with A, and C.

If you look carefully A is ending in "many of which are in" while C is ending in "many of them in". Obviously C is ending correctly.

Answer C.

Kudos [?]: 338 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 20:25
abhijit_sen wrote:
First of all the 3 options are using "as" and remaining 2 are using "like". We need to determine which one of these is correct.
"As" is used as an adverb while serving as a preposition with the meaning of "in the capacity of". It should be used before a clause, adverb or prepositional phrase. This is exactly what we need here.

Answer C.

Tks for the great explaination! Actually I was confused with the use of "like" and "as" here. OA is C

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1398 [1], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
abhijit_sen wrote:
Now we are left with A, B, and C.

"As in" is correct usage than "As with".

So we are left with A, and C.

If you look carefully A is ending in "many of which are in" while C is ending in "many of them in". Obviously C is ending correctly.

Answer C.

I LIKE YOU :lol:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1398 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 21:24
abhijit_sen wrote:
One more point that I missed, "women work" vs "women works". Since women is plural so correct is "women work" that also helps in eliminating 2 choices.

This one is important, too.

I remembered that for "ratio" and "proportion", V always agrees with the main Subject.
In this sentence: "a overwhelming proportion of women"--> "women" is the main Subjest--V should be "work".

Pls correct if I am wrong

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:38
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work,
many of which are in
middle management and light industry.
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work,
many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works,
many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work,
many of them in
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and
many are
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Last but not least, Parallelism leaves you only with A & C (2-3 split)...

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 168 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 16:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

(A) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in

(B) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in

(C) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in

(D) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are

(E) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Last edited by hazelnut on 02 Sep 2017, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question

Kudos [?]: 168 [2], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 17:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C.
The key to this question is to understand how modifier is attached to the end of the sentence. C uses absolute phrase correctly.

ConkergMat wrote:
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 7

10 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 527 [10], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 17:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The key point in this question is to recognise wether to use like or as. This can be done by rewriting the statement as:
An overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
Since action is being compared so as would be used instead of like. Hence D and E are eliminated. B is wrong bcos it violates parallelism by using "with" instead of "in". Now b/w A and C, As wrong bcos of usage of "which" (distosts the meaning). C is the best choice

ConkergMat wrote:
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.

Kudos [?]: 527 [10], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 19:16
many of them in X? <= That sounds wrong to me.. though I can't find the rule...
many of whom <= sounds correct and gmatish.
many in X <- might also be ok.

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2009, 10:48
ConkergMat wrote:

Please explain.

Hi mates,

IMO E

Taking into account that "as" is used to introduce sentences (with verb) and "like" to introduce clauses (no verb), A, B and C out

Between D and E, I think "a proportion of women" is plural: so E

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 15

Schools: Fuqua

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2009, 20:25
ritula wrote:
The key point in this question is to recognise wether to use like or as. This can be done by rewriting the statement as:
An overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
Since action is being compared so as would be used instead of like. Hence D and E are eliminated. B is wrong bcos it violates parallelism by using "with" instead of "in". Now b/w A and C, As wrong bcos of usage of "which" (distosts the meaning). C is the best choice

For deiciding whether to use LIKE or AS, ritual's explanation is perfect. Since the clause is being compared(an overwhelming proportion of women work), we have to use AS. D and E out of the race.

B is out of the race because of "an overwhelming proportion of women works". Subject - Verb agreement.

The last part of the sentence "many of.......light industry" is a subgroup modifier, trying to descibe a portion of the larger group.

In A, "many of which are in" which cannot refer to people. Hence it is out of the race.

B is my ans.

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2009, 14:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO C

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in – which can’t refer to human beings
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in – as with wrong
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in – Correct
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are – like is wrong. Can’t use for prepositional phrases
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in - like is wrong. Can’t use for prepositional phrases

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2009, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
Since we compare action here not nouns, then we should choose "as", not "like". C is the best of the answers with "as".

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 39

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2009, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
C

But the subtle part for me is the proportion of [plural noun] + plural/singular

Thanks to the following post, I get the idea
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... t5864.html

the proportion of filipinos living in milpitas has increased --> it's the actual proportion that has increased (filipinos can't "increase")

a large proportion of the filipinos in milpitas work in san jose --> the filipinos themselves work (a proportion can't work)

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:40
swatirpr wrote:
1. Sub-Verb Agreement

Here the subject is 'Proportion of women' which is plural so verb should be 'work'

so it's between A and C. As you said 'which' can not be used to refer to poeple.

So A is out and B is the winner.

Good try. You meant C is the answer I beleive.

Lets continue exploring the options.
Errors to look for:
1. Subject verb agreement : 'Proportion of women' PLURAL correct
2. How about AS and LIKE : WHich one is correct here?
3. Many or Many of them : which one is correct ?

We must handle all three elements to get most out of it. Try to answer all three points.
Lets just not answer based on options but

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:56
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
@ jeeteshsingh and ms : Sorry , but these responses do not bring any result, no explanations. swatipr had already mentioned C. :)

@ swatipr : You are on your way, good explanation for like and as .But "Propotion of women in hungary" is not a clause but a noun phrase. look more for explanation :) .

P.S. I have also corrected the option C . (changed "Many" to "many of them")

Sorry Sir / Madam.... here I go... :-D

In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are in middle management and light industry.

1. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are
many of which is not correct when being referred to Women present in the proportion

2. as with mych of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many
as with much is wrong usage...... should be as in much!

3. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them
Correct - as in much... correctly used... many of them correctly refer to the women in the proportion which is being talked about...

4. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are
many are is not correct as it now directly refers to the proportion and not the women accounted in the proportion. Also works is wrong... it should be work as an overwhelming propotion of women is plural

5. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are
many are is not correct as it now directly refers to the proportion and not the women accounted in the proportion. Also works is wrong... it should be work as an overwhelming propotion of women is plural

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 47

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2010, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
papillon86 wrote:
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Hey, try this out. Based on Two very important concepts.

Thanks

Nice Question. I was worried about subgroup modifiers and prepositional comparisons. What is the Source? What is the OA?

A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
proper comparison, subgroup modifier is a proper form however which cannot refer to people !

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
improper comparison, in Hungary cannot be compared to as with

C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
correct ! proper comparison, subgroup modifier is a proper form, and them can refer to people !

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
improper comparison, in Hungary cannot be compared to like much

E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 3

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2010, 23:24
Thanks. yeah
many of which ----> which cannot refer to a group of people

izaidi wrote:
papillon86 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Hey, try this out. Based on Two very important concepts.

Thanks

Nice Question. I was worried about subgroup modifiers and prepositional comparisons. What is the Source? What is the OA?

proper comparison, subgroup modifier is a proper form however which cannot refer to people !

improper comparison, in Hungary cannot be compared to as with

correct ! proper comparison, subgroup modifier is a proper form, and them can refer to people !

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 36

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 10:30
C for me.

Need "as in much of eastern europe" for correct comparison and "them" refers to people (women).

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 10:30

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap